One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some really cool potential with those sounds, RuediRena!

And I have to thank you - after hearing that saturated "overdrive" square, I realized just what was missing in the last section on my own track. "Good artists borrow, great artists steal!" 8)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Only another test :-) Still not my entry :-(
I've some problems to do proper drums with the synth, at the moment :-(

https://soundcloud.com/user-221952934-5 ... 2unT3ycZDZ

Eauson had some drum presets earlier on in the thread FYI. Yours sounds really good to me as is.

Here's my entry for this month. This was an easy synth to use with good modulation capabilities but kind of limited oscillators.

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrack ... -the-dream

29 Instances in Logic Pro X
Logic compressors, reverb EQ
OTT on the drum buss
Leveling Tool
Nova Free
SPAN
TDL Kotelnikov on one of the bass pulses.

Thanks HY-Plugins for the nice synth, and of course, BJ and Richard for holding this together.

Some snares, just a play about with settings
Maybe of use?
haven’t tried with reverb :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Here are my snare and toms as well, if you want an '80s flavour.
TMO Snare (C3)+tom.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

In 18 years on this forum I've never contributed to one of these, thought it was about time!

https://soundcloud.com/mrshifrin/shifrin-obtuse-osc-137

I used 19 instances of HY-Poly free in Reaper 6.12c, other effects used were :

JS MIDI Arpeggiator x 1
ReaComp x 1
ReaDelay x 1
ReaEQ x 8
TDR Kotelnikov x 4
TDR VOS SlickEQ x 3
Valhalla Supermassive x 2
Vladg Limiter No 6 x 1
Voxengo Tube Amp x 3
Voxengo MSED x 5
Voxengo Marvel GEQ x 1
Voxengo Stereo Touch x 1
Voxengo Tempo Delay x 2

Hopefully these FX are all allowed, think I'm safe ;)

[edited to show FX count]
Last edited by Shifrin on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

empphryio wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:27 am Eauson had some drum presets earlier on in the thread FYI. Yours sounds really good to me as is.
@empphryio
Thank you for the tip :-)
I'm happy you like the drums, but I'm not really satisfied with it :-(
Eauson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:57 am Some snares, just a play about with settings
Maybe of use?
@Eauson
Thank you very much for your presets :-)
I will check them out today.
schiing wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:14 pm Here are my snare and toms as well, if you want an '80s flavour.
TMO Snare (C3)+<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">tom.zip</span>
@schiing
I'm really like an '80s flavour :-)
I will check them out today :-)

Shifrin wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm ... HY-Poly ... Hopefully these FX are all allowed, think I'm safe ;)
Oh noes! This one has chorus! Definitely against the rules! :troll:

Hey y'all!

Just wanted to pop in an post a note about something weird J.Ruegg and I noticed about HY-Poly in Live and Bitwig: very high CPU usage outside the main audio thread! While the CPU meters in the DAW are reporting low CPU usage, a quick look in task manager / activity monitor shows that something is using quite a lot of CPU, even when there is no audio activity. This happens on Mac and Windows in both the aforementioned DAWs but it does not happen on REAPER. I have a suspicion what's going on, will leave that for the end.

To note what we see, with one single instance added a to a Bitwig project, I see these frames across a bunch of threads:

Code: Select all

35       juce::threadEntryProc(void*)  (in HY-POLY free) + 527  [0x1084c509f]
        34       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 98  [0x1084b5ef2]
        28       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 0  [0x1084b5e90]
... 28-35 different threads waiting in these methods. with 10 instances that went up to:

275       juce::threadEntryProc(void*)  (in HY-POLY free) + 527  [0x1084c509f]
        274       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 98  [0x1084b5ef2]
Yikes!

This also correlated to about 150% CPU usage (1.5 cores with the 10 instances, while idle). Unfortunately, it's put a bit of a wrench in my ability to work on a track, because even with a high end i9 processor, I'm pretty quickly getting audio spikes and such once I have enough instances added to a project.

I suspect this is due to the way that Bitwig and Live are instructing the plugin to close the GUI, with some sort of "soft" close to make it faster to redisplay when the user clicks on a track.

So, if you find yourself running out of CPU for no apparent reason, try deleting some unused instances. Please do tell if you have any solutions! And, I hope this gets fixed.

Cheers!

Juergen wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:45 pm
empphryio wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:27 am Eauson had some drum presets earlier on in the thread FYI. Yours sounds really good to me as is.
@empphryio
Eauson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:57 am Some snares, just a play about with settings
Maybe of use?
@Eauson
I will check them out today.
schiing wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:14 pm Here are my snare and toms as well, if you want an '80s flavour.

TMO Snare (C3)+<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">tom.zip</span>
@schiing
I'm really like an '80s flavour :-)
I will check them out today :-)
That’s quite alright :)
I just played around with hy poly in kushview elements so didn’t really go beyond the tryout stage
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

@empphryio
Oh well I meant I liked the song. No comment positive or negative about the drums. Kind of a weak spot for me personally. My kick this month I'm guessing (??) so far isn't any good. And was heavily criticized last month.

empphryio wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am My kick this month I'm guessing (??) so far isn't any good. And was heavily criticized last month.
It wasn't easy to get a (somewhat?) stable kick with HY-Poly.

I usually use just a single instance for my kicks, but I needed something more here. A deep and muffled one for the body, and another for the attack, where I threw in all the noise I could muster from HY-Poly: Max noise, vibrato, drive, lfo and chorus into heavy compression for a 2 millisecond burst. :hihi:

z.prime wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 am Hey y'all!

Just wanted to pop in an post a note about something weird J.Ruegg and I noticed about HY-Poly in Live and Bitwig: very high CPU usage outside the main audio thread! While the CPU meters in the DAW are reporting low CPU usage, a quick look in task manager / activity monitor shows that something is using quite a lot of CPU, even when there is no audio activity. This happens on Mac and Windows in both the aforementioned DAWs but it does not happen on REAPER. I have a suspicion what's going on, will leave that for the end.

To note what we see, with one single instance added a to a Bitwig project, I see these frames across a bunch of threads:

35       juce::threadEntryProc(void*)  (in HY-POLY free) + 527  [0x1084c509f]
        34       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 98  [0x1084b5ef2]
        28       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 0  [0x1084b5e90]
... 28-35 different threads waiting in these methods. with 10 instances that went up to:

275       juce::threadEntryProc(void*)  (in HY-POLY free) + 527  [0x1084c509f]
        274       juce::TimeSliceThread::run()  (in HY-POLY free) + 98  [0x1084b5ef2]
Yikes!

This also correlated to about 150% CPU usage (1.5 cores with the 10 instances, while idle). Unfortunately, it's put a bit of a wrench in my ability to work on a track, because even with a high end i9 processor, I'm pretty quickly getting audio spikes and such once I have enough instances added to a project.

I suspect this is due to the way that Bitwig and Live are instructing the plugin to close the GUI, with some sort of "soft" close to make it faster to redisplay when the user clicks on a track.

So, if you find yourself running out of CPU for no apparent reason, try deleting some unused instances. Please do tell if you have any solutions! And, I hope this gets fixed.

Cheers!
you should report it directly to the dev in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=456326&start=915

empphryio wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am
@empphryio
Oh well I meant I liked the song. No comment positive or negative about the drums. Kind of a weak spot for me personally. My kick this month I'm guessing (??) so far isn't any good. And was heavily criticized last month.
If you look at the settings I used for the snares I posted and adjust the sustain in the seqm env you can get some crack into the beginning of the kick, then adjust some of the filter settings & Osc tunings , ooh and Envelope 1, as it’s a very short decay :D

Return to “Instruments”