New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:28 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 pm
planetearth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 am A single Pigments 2 patch, engine 1 using a simple wavetable, engine 2 using a multi-sampled synth pad with x-fade looping. Automating the 4 assigned Macros and the modulation wheel in Logic X.
https://youtu.be/RSiWxjiV6X0
Nice sounds, Simon!

On a side note, I don't know why some idiot would "downvote" someone posting an example of making your own sounds in Pigments -- especially since that's "on topic" and there was nothing contentious or controversial about it. It's just an example of some nice programming in Pigments, FFS! But three people did it for this post. What the hell is wrong with some of you?

Steve
Thanks Steve. I don't care about those votes at all, still I believe introducing the voting feature on KVR was a very bad idea because many people seem to care wether their or somebody elses post is up- or down-voted so the whole atmosphere got even more biased and worse overall.
I agree. Instead, I would have just liked a "like/upvote" button. No "dislike/downvote" button at all.

Image-Line forums had same issues and later they removed the dislike button. The atmosphere is much better now.

If you want to like something, upvote it. Else, just move on. Simple.

Sorry for going off-topic.
I like having both up and down vote. I think the down vote allows people to vote down without having to add an actual comment to do so... might make threads a bit cleaner

What surprises me about this is that anyone would care. Honestly, there are so many complete idiots around here that it would worry me if I didn't get a lot of downvotes. At least a downvote indicates that one of the idiots bothered to read what I posted (hopefully). Beyond that, if you are confident in your opinion, then you will realise that downvoters are wrong and you should feel sorry for them. If you are not confident in your opinions, then don't share them. Pretty simple, really.

But all this is off-topic and what did I ask everyone to do when I started this thread? So let's get back to talking about Pigments, shall we? I actually haven't fired it up in a while.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

KVR is really clever, I tried to give myself a downvote, but got the message "not your own posts ..." :tu: :D

back to the topic, I will test Pigments

I downvoted for you, as your comment was not on topic. Feel free to do the same for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 am But all this is off-topic and what did I ask everyone to do when I started this thread? So let's get back to talking about Pigments, shall we? I actually haven't fired it up in a while.
Whats a Pigments? ;) I was here for the arguing....

Anybody else getting frequent crashes caused by Pigments in Logic 10.5.1? I had about 4 today.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 am
BONES wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 am But all this is off-topic and what did I ask everyone to do when I started this thread? So let's get back to talking about Pigments, shall we? I actually haven't fired it up in a while.
Whats a Pigments? ;) I was here for the arguing....
Thanks for the downvotes! :)

Just in case some else runs into the same problem: In latest version (2.1.1.3815) midi chasing doesn't work in Reaper (I have v6.12c). I downgraded back to 2.0.1.837 and it works fine. Arturia support reproduced the problem and said they opened a bug report.

In Pigments 2 the phase/key retrig not working when unison is envolved. Im too lazy to report this directly to Arturia.

Does anybody use the vst3 version on Live ? I’m experiencing big latency when changing presets. No such latency with other vst3s or the vst2 version

SebAV wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm Does anybody use the vst3 version on Live ? I’m experiencing big latency when changing presets. No such latency with other vst3s or the vst2 version
As a rule, I use VST3 only when there's no other option. I think most producers would agree with this.

teilo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:24 pm
SebAV wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm Does anybody use the vst3 version on Live ? I’m experiencing big latency when changing presets. No such latency with other vst3s or the vst2 version
As a rule, I use VST3 only when there's no other option. I think most producers would agree with this.
why that? As soon as Ableton launched vst3 support I just installed the vst3 of any plugin...

Tendou wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm
why that? As soon as Ableton launched vst3 support I just installed the vst3 of any plugin...
For the very reason you have discovered. VST3 support has been hit-or-miss for a long time. There is not a single plugin you can name that works better on VST3 than it does on VST2, nor a single plugin that is missing features in its VST2 version that it has in its VST3 version.

Even though VST3 theoretically is a more capable standard (at least since the more recent change which enabled MIDI learn capabilities), the reality is that it's not going to matter for any plugin that offers a VST or AU version. Go search the archives on the u-He forum if you want an idea of how big a PITA VST3 has been.

Ableton had to implement VST3 because new developers can ONLY release VST3 plugins. It is not possible to get a license to the VST2 SDK if you do not already have one. So if Ableton didn't support VST3, they would have no way, on Windows at least, of supporting new plugin developers.

teilo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm
Tendou wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm
For the very reason you have discovered. VST3 support has been hit-or-miss for a long time. There is not a single plugin you can name that works better on VST3 than it does on VST2, nor a single plugin that is missing features in its VST2 version that it has in its VST3 version.

Even though VST3 theoretically is a more capable standard (at least since the more recent change which enabled MIDI learn capabilities), the reality is that it's not going to matter for any plugin that offers a VST or AU version. Go search the archives on the u-He forum if you want an idea of how big a PITA VST3 has been.

Ableton had to implement VST3 because new developers can ONLY release VST3 plugins. It is not possible to get a license to the VST2 SDK if you do not already have one. So if Ableton didn't support VST3, they would have no way, on Windows at least, of supporting new plugin developers.
mhh thx however I experienced the switchting preset laggs as one mentioned here... I hope ableton will update their software so everything works smoothly..

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:32 am As there were several unaddressed issues from the locked thread, I am starting a new one to deal with them. Igro suggested "the(re) ARE issues with Pigments sound quality and I hope Arturia will address that in the next updates." He then went on to clarify, without actually meaning to do so, that these are not issues related to sound quality at all, but small technical problems that are easily fixed by the user.
He wrongly suggests that there is an "envelope leakage" problem but that is, in fact, a problem with the oscillators, not the envelope. When an oscillator or engine's level is set to zero, there is still some barely audible tone getting through. I'd suggest it is less than the line noise you'd get from plugging a hardware synth into a mixer and could be seen as a feature as much as anything. It certainly does not impact sound quality in any way.

The other issue he reports is audible clicking with fast attack times in the envelope when using the Matrix 12 filter model. Upon checking I discovered that it is not a problem with the filter at all but seems related to the amp section somehow, in that increasing the release on the Amp Envelope makes the clicking go away. That would not be the case if the problem was with the filter itself, because it is modulated by a different envelope. It also only occurs in certain situations, which makes it a bug, not an issue with sound quality. Or maybe it's intentional because that's what you get with a real Matrix 12? After all, audible clicking could be an issue with pretty much every hardware synth I've ever owned.

In any event. I find the Matrix 12 filters the poorest of all those on offer in Pigments. Resonance is practically non-existent and the more you turn it up, the less you seem to get. To my ears, the SEM filters are way, way better and even the generic Multimode filters sound better. I quite like the Surgeon filters, too, especially the Notch.
Yeah..i dunno, i just like piments because of all the modulation options. The "fm-ing" of the filters, the way the fx sounds and operates, the way the granular syntheses works, the way one can pitch almost all parameters in a certain way....

I couldn't care less about "a click" sound, or if the Matrix filter is 'on par' or whatever. I just like all the availlable possibilities.

My DAW, Rapid and Pigments and i am a happy music-maker :D

Return to “Instruments”