Changes in IK Multimedia license transfer policy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I do own, *ahem* sorry have a license for, a lot of IKs software and I really haven't used them in a long time. At some point I just lost interest in their model of doing things. Now it seems that they are the Trump of the music world. Evading straight questions with side tracking the answer to what they think "should really qualify for an answer". The amount of money I've spent on their products is quite a lot, but I'm quite sure trying to sell all of them would be a hassle not worth of my time.

So all in all, I've decided just not to buy anything from them anymore. I do install the ones I have license to on my new computers but I have not found any use for the plugins in many many years.

I very much do not like people who make promises and do not keep them. Or can't give you a straight answer to a question. And even in this thread the contradictions they make in their posts is quite ridiculous.

I used to love this company, not anymore.
A guy with serious GAS and lots of unused VSTs. But if I someday need them...

Sorry to hear that. This isn't a medium for IK Support and I'm sure you would get an answer specific to your situation from the support team at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support who will have access to your account and will gladly provide information pertinent to your situation/question/concern. Otherwise, our legal information including EULA is always available at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal

DotNoir wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 pm I do own, *ahem* sorry have a license for, a lot of IKs software and I really haven't used them in a long time. At some point I just lost interest in their model of doing things. Now it seems that they are the Trump of the music world. Evading straight questions with side tracking the answer to what they think "should really qualify for an answer". The amount of money I've spent on their products is quite a lot, but I'm quite sure trying to sell all of them would be a hassle not worth of my time.

So all in all, I've decided just not to buy anything from them anymore. I do install the ones I have license to on my new computers but I have not found any use for the plugins in many many years.

I very much do not like people who make promises and do not keep them. Or can't give you a straight answer to a question. And even in this thread the contradictions they make in their posts is quite ridiculous.

I used to love this company, not anymore.
do you really think you own any software you buy. I don't know why you act like that is so odd to say.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:06 pm do you really think you own any software you buy. I don't know why you act like that is so odd to say.
If this is the only thing that you got from my post, then I guess I need to clarify.

I only did that because I started writing own and at that moment I realized I was talking about software and thus left the opening and corrected myself in the sentence to "lighten the mood"? I don't know. I'm fully aware that I do not own the software.

But that being said. I still do not like the way they present themselves for example on this forum.
A guy with serious GAS and lots of unused VSTs. But if I someday need them...

I bought a license of an IK product second hand here (with the transfer code). When I tried to register, I got a error message basically saying that a cross upgrade is not possible unless I register an IK product priced over $99. Is my transaction considered a cross upgrade? I'm confused. I'm not upgrading anything; I bought a license. Or, is this how IK does business?

I emailed their support, but I have heard that their support is not necessarily fast.

Chrisk-K wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:39 pm I bought a license of an IK product second hand here (with the transfer code). When I tried to register, I got a error message basically saying that a cross upgrade is not possible unless I register an IK product priced over $99. Is my transaction considered a cross upgrade? I'm confused. I'm not upgrading anything; I bought a license. Or, is this how IK does business?

I emailed their support, but I have heard that their support is not necessarily fast.
Seller should have notified that it was a crossgrade license. User needs to own at least one product retailed at 99$ in his IKM account to register one of those licenses.

Now, you can ask here for an unregistered IKM license for some of those giveaways that online stores and magazines once in a while do (T-Racks modules mostly) which are still retailed at 99$. I've seen some unregistered here for 5/10 dollars. Register that first and you should be able to use your crossgrade license.
Last edited by JohnPativens on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If the seller upgraded from a $99+ product, then what they sold you is still just the upgrade, not the full product.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 pm If the seller upgraded from a $99+ product, then what they sold you is still just the upgrade, not the full product.
Sounds like he bought a second hand crossgrade license.

Thanks for the replies. Prior to my purchase, I had looked at IKM’s license transfer policy posted at their Web site, and I didn’t see info about crossgrade licenses. I’ll find a way to get it activated. A lesson learned.

I just fell victim to this hidden "license becomes NFR" policy. This is nowhere mentioned in the EULA, which really does leave a bad impression of IK Multimedia as a company.

I updated the information about this in the Vendor license policy collection thread so hopefully more people are aware of this BEFORE buying from IK.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=520503

Update: Support offered to transfer the license as a sign of goodwill, which I appreciate. Policy (as executed atm) is definitely LICENSE BECOMES NFR after transferring it to a new owner, with possible exceptions. Also, after asking about this not being mentioned in the EULA TWICE, the support agent never answered to this part of my email.

So many companies doing this lately, I am worried. It might be the end of an era of second hand software.
dedication to flying

I am finished with IKM. Bye.

I just bought a transfer license of MODO Bass off a guy on vi-control.net and it was a super smooth transfer and transaction. I confirmed with him first that it wasn't an upgrade version. Was not aware that it would now be considered NFR. =/
My Setup: Rosce LG3005 & Yamaha CP4 - Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 - Dell XPS15 - GigPerformer - Komplete 12 - Behringer XR18

DCFanatic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am I just bought a transfer license of MODO Bass off a guy on vi-control.net and it was a super smooth transfer and transaction. I confirmed with him first that it wasn't an upgrade version. Was not aware that it would now be considered NFR. =/
Look in your user area under my products and search for the Modo license you bought. Do you see the red button for transfering the license? If you don't, that means you can't buy a token and activate an automatic transfer.
You need to contact IKM support team and ask to manually lift the license off the account (like once we used to do with Native Instruments and others).
I'm sure they won't deny the request. Or at least, let's wait someone who reports here to have received a negative response.

Allmost all products worth paying for, are so well documented by reviews, videos, blogs and forums, that there is little reason to buy something that will be dissapointing later. If someone is desparate for money, there are better things to sell, and ways to reduce cost-of-living for awhile.

I agree that when a resale invokes NFR, it should
be atop the eula, and also on packaging and
advertisement text. Still, the whole issue seems like a
tornado in a beer stein :dog: :wink:

...are beer steins even legal in italy? :scared:
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”