Focusrite Scarlett Solo - "3rd Gen" - are its Asio drivers non-exclusive like the 2i2's 2nd gen?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking of getting the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen in a few weeks.

I am currently borrowing a 2i2 2nd Gen and I like it because its Asio drivers are non-exclusive so I can use my DAW and play Youtube clips at the same time.
With my Beringher I couldn't because it had to use ASIO4ALL which exclusively grabs the sound.

Anyway, I am just wondering if the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen is non-exclusive like the 2i2?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Did you find the answer? I am about to buy Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen and also interested if I can use DAW and browser at the same time without issues

Ubertriangle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am Did you find the answer? I am about to buy Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen and also interested if I can use DAW and browser at the same time without issues
Yes, I bought the 2i2 3rd Gen, and am able to use my DAW and Windows audio at the same time
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

So it's playing well with Windows? I am about to buy one too, I was debating between the Focusrite Bundle with mic and headphones or an SSL 2
MasterTuner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm
Ubertriangle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am Did you find the answer? I am about to buy Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen and also interested if I can use DAW and browser at the same time without issues
Yes, I bought the 2i2 3rd Gen, and am able to use my DAW and Windows audio at the same time

MasterTuner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm
It might be multi-client, as Steinberg UR series. Unfortunately ASIO is exclusive no matter what you do, but some interfaces have multi-client, meaning you can use ASIO and also play music on youtube/spotify etc. But you won't be able, let's say to capture sound from your DAW in OBS or other streaming software, unless it has an internal loopback. Usually ASIO + ASIO is a no go.

yeah, this multi source ability surprised me back when I owned an 8i6. Cool feature.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:39 pmUsually ASIO + ASIO is a no go.
This used to be the case. But lately more and more affordable interfaces also support ASIO multi-client (ASIO + ASIO). Even the Behringer UMC HD ones, for example, or the new MOTU, Audient/EVO, NI and others.

Unfortunately, Focusrite USB interfaces don't support ASIO multi-client and neither do the Steinbergs, from what I've read. Sure they support Windows audio + ASIO, but it's hard to find an interface with ASIO drivers that doesn't support that. I've yet to see one, frankly. (The Behringer that OP mentioned probably didn't have ASIO drivers, that's why he was using Asio4all.)

Logga wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am Sure they support Windows audio + ASIO, but it's hard to find an interface with ASIO drivers that doesn't support that. I've yet to see one, frankly.
You're lucky. Pioneer DJ audio interfaces don't allow Windows audio + ASIO at the same time (what is a problem for me using a DJ mixer from them, I didn't expect this). And I remember some old audio interfaces act like this too, perhaps the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the Audiophile 24/96, but can't assure that right now.

By the way, I've tested my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st gen, and it's able to use Windows audio + ASIO at the same time too (at least on Windows 10).

Cheers!

Glad I found this thread. Have been using ASIO4ALL to reduce latency on my 2nd gen Scarlett Solo with Ableton and unable to watch YT vids while doing so. Installed the newest drivers and now I can get simultaneous audio feeds.

bronxio wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:01 pm
Logga wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am Sure they support Windows audio + ASIO, but it's hard to find an interface with ASIO drivers that doesn't support that. I've yet to see one, frankly.
You're lucky. Pioneer DJ audio interfaces don't allow Windows audio + ASIO at the same time (what is a problem for me using a DJ mixer from them, I didn't expect this). And I remember some old audio interfaces act like this too, perhaps the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the Audiophile 24/96, but can't assure that right now.
I can tell you for sure that the M-Audio 24/96 does support Windows audio + ASIO, because I've used it. (It does not support ASIO+ASIO, however.)

The key thing that enables Windows audio + ASIO is setting the same sample rate for both. Some drivers can even handle different sample rates, but that's not as common.

Hi there,

I'm using i think a fairly old scarlett 2i2, but i cant run youtube videos and cubase pro 13 at the same time, what do i do?
I've tried to do the exclusive check mark stuff but no variation of that seems to allow me to play them at the same time. I dont know much about this stuff but was just really annoyed when i bought it that instantly realised that they couldnt play simultaneously, do i get a new sound card/interface or no?

Also not sure what any of this asio stuff is or means so maybe i need to install something? idk just guessing

Hankbreakingbad wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 am I'm using i think a fairly old scarlett 2i2
How old is "fairly old"? Have you tried updating the software / drivers?
See https://downloads.focusrite.com/focusrite
Hankbreakingbad wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:29 am Also not sure what any of this asio stuff is or means so maybe i need to install something?
There is a wikipedia article written on it.

The "driver" is the software which your DAW uses to get access to the audio interface. You get to configure it as well, typically via its Control Panel.

You said Cubase does output sound and then YouTube can not. So it seems to work, you have it installed.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

bronxio wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:01 pm You're lucky. Pioneer DJ audio interfaces don't allow Windows audio + ASIO at the same time (what is a problem for me using a DJ mixer from them, I didn't expect this). And I remember some old audio interfaces act like this too, perhaps the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the Audiophile 24/96, but can't assure that right now.
No, with my 2001 Audiophile2496 I could play games, listen to music and use ASIO at the same time easily. That was one of the reasons I went with RME AiO Pro now with the new machine. It can do the same (and also has 1st class drivers).
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

BertKoor wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:06 am
Hankbreakingbad wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 am I'm using i think a fairly old scarlett 2i2
How old is "fairly old"? Have you tried updating the software / drivers?
See https://downloads.focusrite.com/focusrite
Hankbreakingbad wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:29 am Also not sure what any of this asio stuff is or means so maybe i need to install something?
There is a wikipedia article written on it.

The "driver" is the software which your DAW uses to get access to the audio interface. You get to configure it as well, typically via its Control Panel.

You said Cubase does output sound and then YouTube can not. So it seems to work, you have it installed.
Ive installed the most recent drivers and now there is no sound coming out of my scarlett at all
ps. it is 2nd generation.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”