Photosounder Questions

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Photosounder looks very interesting to me.

I am more interested in editing wav files, one second to minutes long.

I was wondering if there was a manual for Photosounder.
Found it
https://photosounder.com/Photosounder%2 ... 0Guide.pdf

What methods are there for selection. Lasso, square or rectangle, magic wand?

Can the selection be be move, copied, sprayed, enlarged/reduced, reversed, distorted etc.

Paste selection on another layer or track?

Can a grid be called up?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 am What methods are there for selection. Lasso, square or rectangle, magic wand?
There's no concept of selection. Selection would only be useful for splitting one layer into two, and all those tools you mentioned would be a bit crude for that.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 am Can the selection be be move, copied, sprayed, enlarged/reduced, reversed, distorted etc.
A layer can, except resized, but that will come soon.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 am Can a grid be called up?
Yes you can have a semitone grid and a 4/4 rhythm grid. For anything else you can create a layer and use it as a grid I guess.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

^^^
Thanks

The July 18th build crashes whenever I load an image (with a few exceptions, mainly some images that I had loaded before). I had to roll back to 1.10.1, and now any image works with it again. I use Win 10 x64.
Organic Calfskin Kit - Free/Donationware Drum VST for Mac and Win

I checked Photosounder VERSION 1.9 User Guide. I was unable to find if the imported user image perhaps a PNG can be saved as a WAV. While in Photosounder I may do some editing. I would then save as WAV then import it into SpectraLayers 6 and edit it while in spectral view. Actually not clear to me if to export from Photosounder the WAV or the image file or the Spectrogram. A bit confused. Just trying to examine the possibilities.

retroactivecont wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 pm The July 18th build crashes whenever I load an image (with a few exceptions, mainly some images that I had loaded before). I had to roll back to 1.10.1, and now any image works with it again. I use Win 10 x64.
Oops, turns out it was one of the classic one-character bugs where one little symbol too many in the code ruins everything. I didn't even notice because I only tried that beta on .PHA files. I've updated it now.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 am I checked Photosounder VERSION 1.9 User Guide.
Damn I could have sworn I updated the manual to 1.10, turns out I didn't.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 amI was unable to find if the imported user image perhaps a PNG can be saved as a WAV. While in Photosounder I may do some editing. I would then save as WAV then import it into SpectraLayers 6 and edit it while in spectral view. Actually not clear to me if to export from Photosounder the WAV or the image file or the Spectrogram. A bit confused. Just trying to examine the possibilities.
Yes of course since Photosounder turns images into sounds you can take a PNG and save it as the WAV which contains the sound you hear when you press play. But I'm not sure why you'd edit the sound in a spectral editor, it would make more sense to directly edit the image by whatever means you prefer.

A_SN wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:21 pm Oops, turns out it was one of the classic one-character bugs where one little symbol too many in the code ruins everything. I didn't even notice because I only tried that beta on .PHA files. I've updated it now.
THANK YOU! It works perfectly now.
Organic Calfskin Kit - Free/Donationware Drum VST for Mac and Win

retroactivecont wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:21 pm
A_SN wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:21 pm Oops, turns out it was one of the classic one-character bugs where one little symbol too many in the code ruins everything. I didn't even notice because I only tried that beta on .PHA files. I've updated it now.
THANK YOU! It works perfectly now.
Excellent! Now the advantage of this beta is that it restores the magnet and roadroller, erase and mask invert functionalities which were lost in version 1.10, but it also makes them work not just for the first image but all images and sounds on any layer. So now with this beta you can use the aforementioned features on multi-file projects. The bug that caused the crash in the previous beta was in the copying of the original image that makes all this possible.

I'm interested in using this as a tool to filter out problematic frequencies from audio recordings mostly.

How difficult is it to isolate instruments and/ or problematic frequencies?

I'm assuming you can isolate a Frequency and then invert the selection to remove it or something similar to that.

Thanks!

djmino02 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm I'm interested in using this as a tool to filter out problematic frequencies from audio recordings mostly.

How difficult is it to isolate instruments and/ or problematic frequencies?

I'm assuming you can isolate a Frequency and then invert the selection to remove it or something similar to that.

Thanks!
It's possible but I suggest you try the demo (make sure to turn on Lossless mode after loading the sound). As you can see from my videos on isolating instruments it's difficult to extract an instrument from a complex mix and get a flawless sound, so no miracles there. And yes the last thing you mention is called Mask Invert, although this is broken in version 1.10, you'll have to use either version 1.9.5 or the latest beta for 1.11.

Ok great! Thanks for the quick response!

Also, does this software require a certain graphics card to be able to run properly?

I have an integrated Intel HD 5500 and an Nvidia GPU.

I know certain plugins wouldn't display properly for a while until I changed to where my DAW ran off the Nvidia GPU for some reason. Something to do with CUDA and/or OpenGL.

Thanks

djmino02 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:08 pm Ok great! Thanks for the quick response!

Also, does this software require a certain graphics card to be able to run properly?

I have an integrated Intel HD 5500 and an Nvidia GPU.

I know certain plugins wouldn't display properly for a while until I changed to where my DAW ran off the Nvidia GPU for some reason. Something to do with CUDA and/or OpenGL.

Thanks
No, but again do try the demo, that will answer a lot of things. Photosounder does use the GPU for a specific operation (convolution of layers), but that works on either of your GPUs so it should be fine.

Ok great thanks

Return to “Photosounder”