Any love for ANA2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You're running an 8 year old computer, FFS. Of course it's slow, I imagine everything is. What is it, Core 2 Duo or an early gen Core i CPU?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

dude, it runs like a smooth beast.
it's i7, for the record. 2.7GHz.
And for the record, everything is not slow. I run all the same synths and FX as everyone else here.

Yeah, I can run everything on my Core i5 Acer convertible, too, but I don't expect it to be anywhere near the same experience as with my new hexa-core Core i7 laptop. For a start, your machine won't have a fast SSD. If it has an SSD at all it will be using SATA, not NVMe. It may feel "smooth" to you but I guarantee that if you spent 6 months with a 10th Gen CPU, you could never go back to it. My second-to-last MacPro was a mid-2012 build, similar to yours, and even a 2018 trash-can MacPro felt twice as fast. Now I am on brand new PC, it feels twice as fast again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So I got ANA2 now that it's on sale.

The subtractive and WT stuff sounds nice, but when using FM I get this nasty noise in the upper high end. Not sure what is, but it sounds like aliasing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also the UI is all blurry in a 4K monitor in Windows... I disabled auto scaling in Ableton Live but then even with 150% UI size it's too small. So few developers pay attention to these details, it's quite annoying.

sqigls wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 pm for the record i'm running OSX10.14.6. I have 16GB RAM. it's a Macbook pro mid 2012.
the slow loading is consistent through all DAWs.
It might be a graphics thing? It's slow to load on initial load and each time the GUI is opened.
Most of my synths have a fairly small graphics footprint, and I barely even have any synths rendered to audio. My machine is reporting a max RAM usage of about 8 GB on big projects, and I don't use sample instruments like Kontakt or anything.
I have a 2011 i7 iMac. No issues with loading or running for ANA2. Ableton is a whole ‘nother story though... No issues with excess RAM hogging either.

pierb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pmSo few developers pay attention to these details, it's quite annoying.
Why should developers take into consideration the stupid decisions people make? The problem is your pointless 4k screen.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 am
pierb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pmSo few developers pay attention to these details, it's quite annoying.
Why should developers take into consideration the stupid decisions people make? The problem is your pointless 4k screen.
So because you think hiDPI displays are pointless people are stupid. Woah, that's some great logic mate.

:clap:

It's not about what I think, it is about the reality of the situation, which is that I don't have to worry about what developers decide to do with their GUIs because whatever they do works on my Full HD screen. And that's not a fluke, not just me being lucky, it's because I think about those things before I make decisions or choices. I don't make stupid decisions and then put it onto other people to fix it for me.

HTT wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 am
sqigls wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 pm for the record i'm running OSX10.14.6. I have 16GB RAM. it's a Macbook pro mid 2012.
It might be a graphics thing? It's slow to load on initial load and each time the GUI is opened.
Most of my synths have a fairly small graphics footprint, and I barely even have any synths rendered to audio. My machine is reporting a max RAM usage of about 8 GB on big projects, and I don't use sample instruments like Kontakt or anything.
I have a 2011 i7 iMac. No issues with loading or running for ANA2. Ableton is a whole ‘nother story though... No issues with excess RAM hogging either.
how long does it take to load the GUI after you first load up the plugin?
have you added presets/wavetables to the plugin application folder? if so, many?
cheers
i'd really like to get to the bottom of the slow loading, it's a first world problem, but every time i open the GUI it takes sooooo long.

Computer bashing, monitor bashing, this thread has it all 😂😂😂

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:12 am It's not about what I think, it is about the reality of the situation, which is that I don't have to worry about what developers decide to do with their GUIs because whatever they do works on my Full HD screen. And that's not a fluke, not just me being lucky, it's because I think about those things before I make decisions or choices. I don't make stupid decisions and then put it onto other people to fix it for me.
I have a Full HD monitor, but I can understand why some people decide to use 4K, more screen space. Since 4k is starting slowly to become a standard, developers should take into account that people might have such a monitor. Resizable interface should be a must have these days. Even for Full HD monitor, sometimes default interface can be a little too big for me.

---
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

sqigls wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:30 am
HTT wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 am
how long does it take to load the GUI after you first load up the plugin?
have you added presets/wavetables to the plugin application folder? if so, many?
cheers
i'd really like to get to the bottom of the slow loading, it's a first world problem, but every time i open the GUI it takes sooooo long.
It takes 7.74 seconds to launch ANA2 in Cubase Artist 10.5. Switching from one patch to another takes about 1 second. I have many issues with both Ableton and Logic taking forever for everything.

I have the factory presets and the Soundtrack expansion pack. I don’t have any other wavetables, etc.

I hope that information is helpful.

thank you
7-8 seconds, that's a long time! don't you think?

every synth i own loads in under a second. Except for Iris 2 and Ana 2. My sample based synths, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have a fast SSD in my machine and 16GB of RAM...

ANA2 is not an outlier compared to other softsynths, non-sampled based ones. I have a 7200 hdd and 12 GB RAM. I am sure my hdd is slowing things down. In Ableton and Logic, the launch is m-u-c-h slower. I am just waiting for the next generation of iMacs to be announced. SSD for me.

Return to “Instruments”