DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm
zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm So you know for Dune (and a few other not from SA), on a mac the rows don't change to columns after x amount of elements.
rsp
is that a mac thing that cannot be changed by the synth dev?
Some developers have, some haven't.....

rsp
sound sculptist

pierb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm Why do you say that? Or I did not get you exactly.
He probably bought other synths until he realized he should have just used Dune instead :D
Ah, got it now. Thanks for the clarification. Guess the story is same for most people here. :hihi:

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm
zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm So you know for Dune (and a few other not from SA), on a mac the rows don't change to columns after x amount of elements.
So you're saying on a Mac you can have an unlimited (or more than 200+ at least) number of patches in a folder and they'll always display horizontally and not vertically in a single column which requires you to scroll ?

I wonder if the limitation is not up to Windows file system then rather than how D3 handles it ?
Yep, exactly what I am saying...

Some developers have found a way for macs to display stuff in columns too, some haven't.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm
Yep, exactly what I am saying...

Some developers have found a way for macs to display stuff in columns too, some haven't.
rsp
But your screenshot shows D3 with a single column so you're saying Dune 3 doesn't display horizontally on Mac ?

On Windows you can get 228 files into a folder and it will display this way (image size reduced to fit here):

D3 073020-2.png

Add one more patch and it will display in a single column that must be scrolled up/down.

I like being able to see 200 + files at one time especially when looking through my own patches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sorry, yes.
It shows up as one column and umpteen rows.
Sorry I misread your thing, yes it shows up vertically never horizontally.
Yep I have a mac and pc for work and yep aware that pc's have multiple columns.
rsp
sound sculptist

You might want to bring it up on the Synapse forums. If it's just a programming choice in the Mac version perhaps something can be done. It seems like Marcin is working on the Mac version or at least he seems to be the one who responds to Mac issues.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm Thanks guys. I was expecting some quirky replies here. ;)
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 am For what genres in DUNE 3 best?
Dune is great for just about anything - but I. m. O. mainly the MOST ENIGMATIC Synth in the VST Dimension.

The Factory Sounds are Trance/EDM, but it can easily sound brilliant, smooth and even gentle 🙂

#Enigma #metoo
Appreciate your comments. I demoed it a couple of days ago and overall, I liked the sound. It is light on CPU too. I do not have the money to purchase it right now, so just uninstalled the demo and added it to my wishlist. But with plethora of other synths on the table, I really need to justify getting DUNE 3 or sell some of the other synths. If it can replace some of those synths, it'd be great. :)

Good to know it can work well for other genres which are not necessarily synth-heavy/oriented.

Haha, great to know you like Enigma too. :phones: These days I am not doing Enigmatic or atmospheric/ambient stuff though.
I have just decided to focus on Dune again - wasting hundreds of Bucks with this Descision.
Why do you say that? Or I did not get you exactly.
And while we are it, does the full version have enough presets in various categories? In terms of covering wide range of sounds from bread-n-butter to experimental stuff. I think many people mention it to be their go-to synth?
LOL. You see - that is exactly my Problem at the Moment - some other big Players on my System and not enogh Time to feed them all. Those big ones are very powerful these Days and buying one of them means to fix on it somehow or just use the Presets... But that is not my Business. I don´t even make Music - just Sounds - Multisamples - and DUNE is the one that promises the most Output for me. Concerning spectral Variety as well as Quality Standards ans esp. Time Consumption.

At the End of the Day it´s all more about your Targets and Workflows, that´s clear - so demoing it is mandatory. But your Question is - as far as I have understood it - more about possible Spectra and Sound Types.

To make a long Story short: DUNE is streamlined. It´s an 8 Layers diversified Unison Engine = WIDTH and DEPTH. As I see it (and hear it) it´s focussed on "musical" Sounds - Synth Sounds - and no Modular System for weird Creations.

Its Core-Engine is the Wavetable - and if you don´t just rely on the Factory WT or 3rd Party Stuff a Wavetable Synth can produce nearly any Type of Sound - provided that you dig into WT Creation and Modification. And its 8 Layers ... make Sounds possible that you´d maybe rather expect from a Rompler or other digital Hardware. It should be mentioned that the WT Editor is a simple one in Comparison to others - but it depends on your Targets if that is disadvantageous or irrelevant. Musical Sounds don´t need complex WT and/or WT Editors. A good Single Cycle is often enough.

Unison - Layers - Wavetable - and a good FX Section - that is DUNE i. m. O. - the Reason why bought it - and the Unison Engine and Layer Structure are unique Selling Points i. m. O.

I said that I waste hundreds of Euros because I will probably not really use the others anymore (Zebra, Harmor, MSF, Razor, ...). It is better to focus on DUNE and really get into Wavetable Creation (and WT Exchange with Halion and maybe MSF one Day). Wavetables are so DEEEP and you can get so much out of them with DUNE. And it should maybe be mentioned that there are also other Topics for sure, just like Mastering FX, EQs <3, Convolution! - and Sampling....

Concerning the Presets: as already said I don´t make Music with DUNE. I realized EDM Sounds as usual. But I have also seen little Gems on the Fly. A Variety. Didn´t you say that you have installed the Demo? How to say? Maybe these Names may tell you more than subjective Impressions? That sounds quiet versatile to me :/ - but I wouldn´t expect the Bandwidth of Weirdness that others sell these Days!

Arksun
David Goodwin
Ed Ten Eyck
Kevin Schroeder
Ingo Weidner
Lance Emmerich
Mark Holt
Michael Kastrup
Piet Kaempfer
Richard Hoffmann
Rob Lee
Shadx
Solidtrax
Teksonik

BTW lots of DUNE in this Channel beyond the Call of Duty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdLzVOxromA

Still use Dune 1 as my workhorse, mainly due to the simplicity and fewer buttons and panels:)

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 pm

At the End of the Day it´s all more about your Targets and Workflows, that´s clear - so demoing it is mandatory. But your Question is - as far as I have understood it - more about possible Spectra and Sound Types.

To make a long Story short: DUNE is streamlined. It´s an 8 Layers diversified Unison Engine = WIDTH and DEPTH. As I see it (and hear it) it´s focussed on "musical" Sounds - Synth Sounds - and no Modular System for weird Creations.

Trimmed the quote for sanity.

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions. You mentioned things I did not even expect, but were really good to know. Based on what you said, it looks like DUNE 3 is the synth worth diving into, as it can be considered as a workhorse/go-to synth once you get the grips of it.

I agree about your point on target and workflow. Workflow is super important, else even a good sounding synth will gather dust.

I will install the demo again when I am in the mood to explore it properly. I like its sound, no doubt. Need to get more familiarized with the workflow and what are the possibilities.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am
Thank you so much for your time and suggestions. You mentioned things I did not even expect, but were really good to know. Based on what you said, it looks like DUNE 3 is the synth worth diving into, as it can be considered as a workhorse/go-to synth once you get the grips of it.

I agree about your point on target and workflow. Workflow is super important, else even a good sounding synth will gather dust.

I will install the demo again when I am in the mood to explore it properly. I like its sound, no doubt. Need to get more familiarized with the workflow and what are the possibilities.
I´m glad to help, have lots of Time (Family out:) and gladly support Products worth it these dark Days of Marketing Lies ;-)

Concerning Workflow and Targets: I have always worked "technical", already in the 90s :D I must say hat I can´t really imagine other Approaches ... and my Assessment about DUNE for sure reflects the technical DIY Perdspective, too . You´re not locked up - it´s an open System (2048 WAV WT)- the Results are HQ - and you can get them quickly without detours as in some other well known Workhose Synths.

But at the End of Day you´ll have to see what you want to do - and how you achieve your probably musical Targets. You´ll surely ask "What Kind of Sounds can it do?" and I suggest to make a little Research on DUNE Patch Banks and watch some Demos. Vintage Synth Pads (VSP) has some nice ones out there for Example that gave me personally a good Impression back then... but in the End it have been my own Results in the first Hours that made me strongls believe in this Investment while the Factorys and Demos didn´t really refelct my Style.

Stay save and all the Best!°

GRUMP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm

I´m glad to help, have lots of Time (Family out:) and gladly support Products worth it these dark Days of Marketing Lies ;-)

Concerning Workflow and Targets: I have always worked "technical", already in the 90s :D I must say hat I can´t really imagine other Approaches ... and my Assessment about DUNE for sure reflects the technical DIY Perdspective, too . You´re not locked up - it´s an open System (2048 WAV WT)- the Results are HQ - and you can get them quickly without detours as in some other well known Workhose Synths.

But at the End of Day you´ll have to see what you want to do - and how you achieve your probably musical Targets. You´ll surely ask "What Kind of Sounds can it do?" and I suggest to make a little Research on DUNE Patch Banks and watch some Demos. Vintage Synth Pads (VSP) has some nice ones out there for Example that gave me personally a good Impression back then... but in the End it have been my own Results in the first Hours that made me strongls believe in this Investment while the Factorys and Demos didn´t really refelct my Style.

Ah, golden period then. I am waiting for mine, but it won't happen anytime soon. ;)

Thanks again. Exactly. I will need to see if I can commit to it and can use it to its full potential. I will only buy it when I am sure about that and would probably need to part with something to be able to do so.

Good to know that you were able to get your desired results on your own. I personally need good presets, as they are often the starting point for me and give me a fair idea what I can do with the synth and whether or not it will suit me. I am not great at sound design from scratch, but I have improved my understanding lately and can improvise over an existing preset to suit my needs. Sometimes I feel I am not far from making decent-sounding presets (not pro level of course) of my own, but it's more about laziness than anything.

Stay safe and wish you the best too. :tu:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Ah, golden period then. I am waiting for mine, but it won't happen anytime soon. ;)

Thanks again. Exactly. I will need to see if I can commit to it and can use it to its full potential. I will only buy it when I am sure about that and would probably need to part with something to be able to do so.

Good to know that you were able to get your desired results on your own. I personally need good presets, as they are often the starting point for me and give me a fair idea what I can do with the synth and whether or not it will suit me. I am not great at sound design from scratch, but I have improved my understanding lately and can improvise over an existing preset to suit my needs. Sometimes I feel I am not far from making decent-sounding presets (not pro level of course) of my own, but it's more about laziness than anything.

Stay safe and wish you the best too. :tu:
What Kind of Presets, what Kind of Music? Dunes AN, WT + FM OSC can do a lot ... but what are you looking for? You´re hopefully not looking for Korg/Roland/Spectrasonics Stuff?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 am For what genres in DUNE 3 best?
I heard that DUNE 3 is big in Swahili Swing :wink:
No auto tune...

GRUMP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 pm You´re hopefully not looking for Korg/Roland/Spectrasonics Stuff?
Definitely not looking for that kind (emulation or rompler) of stuff. When I say presets, I mean sounds ranging from pads to bells to synth leads and basses, etc.

I do have Korg Wavestation by the way.

pierb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pmAnyone tried doing FM using the mod matrix (not the FM oscillators) in Dune 3?
Why would anyone when the FM oscillators are there and ready to use? Which is me asking you why you want to do it (in case that wasn't clear).
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pmI wonder if the limitation is not up to Windows file system then rather than how D3 handles it ?
I think it is a matter of how it is programmed. In Orion, for example, if I right-click over the background and select VST Effects, I get multiple columns but if I right-click in an Insert or Send slot in the mixer, I get a single column that I have to scroll.
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 pmIts Core-Engine is the Wavetable
That's an interesting thought because I use DUNE in just about every song and I have not so much as looked at the wavetable stuff. For me, DUNE's "core engine" is the standard V/A oscillators. They are the only thing I ever use in DUNE. The other stuff just gets in my way, which is why using DUNE annoys the hell out of me. I sometimes wish I still had my DUNE 1 installer.
Last edited by BONES on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”