v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

I know I'm commenting alot here. It doesn't mean I don't like the new SB, or that I don't think it has good promise. I'm just a real believer in documenting early impressions!

Yes, very good idea. I know that splitting a line is missing now.
I propose Alt-clicking for splitting/joining on the timeline.
Alt-click on chords also split/join chords. Double-clicking on a track also zooms in/out so this would not change.
Ctrl-click does continuous zoom in and out, on both timeline and tracks. So it would be consistent.

As I imagine (please let me know if this is a bad idea) I would like to assign right-clicking to opening a pop-up menu with actions in most places. Currently it is used for opening an inspector, but inspectors will also be docked on the right side, so a single click would be enough to update the inspector.

Thanks,
Attila
sj1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:57 pm Since we can double-click on a chord to split it, it would be very consistent to be able to double-click on a line to split it.

This would mean I suppose changing to right-click or right-double-click to zoom in on the line. Whatever would be most consistent UI wise ...
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

sj1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 am I know I'm commenting alot here. It doesn't mean I don't like the new SB, or that I don't think it has good promise. I'm just a real believer in documenting early impressions!
That is a big help for me to read the first impressions! I do what I think is right (based on previous user feedback) but in the end it is YOU who will use it, so I'll do my best to make it more comfortable to use.

So, thanks everyone for commenting!
Attila

As I imagine (please let me know if this is a bad idea) I would like to assign right-clicking to opening a pop-up menu with actions in most places. Currently it is used for opening an inspector, but inspectors will also be docked on the right side, so a single click would be enough to update the inspector.

It's a good idea! This is what I wanted to suggest)

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 am I know that splitting a line is missing now.
I propose Alt-clicking for splitting/joining on the timeline.
Alt-click on chords also split/join chords.
With removal of the current dbl-click splitting of chords? That seems consistent and fine to me.

Hover-help for Parts and Chords could be used to present the available operations here.

[/quote]There may be multiple paths for doing a zoom in/zoom out (?). I'm referring specifically to double-clicking on a Part in the timeline to zoom in to it, and then double-clicking on the (zoomed-in Part in the timeline to zoom out. In this case, the chords of the Part end up selected, but the loop marker is not left set to the same span (once you are again viewing the "composition level").
[/quote]

oh, i see what you mean.. i kind of don't understand why you would want that, though. If the loop is left selected and you are now viewing the composition, I don't see a benefit for that view.

What I've seen so far is that if I shorten a line (e.g. by using the mouse wheel in the new SB) I lose information.
The part of the phrase length by which I reduce the line is forever erased. I don't think it happened before.

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 am As I imagine (please let me know if this is a bad idea) I would like to assign right-clicking to opening a pop-up menu with actions in most places. Currently it is used for opening an inspector, but inspectors will also be docked on the right side, so a single click would be enough to update the inspector.
I'm not sure I track this. Are you saying to open the relevant inspector with single left-click and a (different) menu with a single right-click?

Are not the Inspectors themselves a "menu"? Are you proposing a different, parallel menu? Is it because the Inspectors are perceived as filling up and nearing maximum size?

Could you please expand on the issues in this area a bit?

Immediate access to the relevant Inspectors, as now available via right-click, is very useful and very "rapid". I can't imagine upside in this going away.

Presuming that the right-side dock is generally open would be a bad presumption, IMO. I know in my case I work with the right-side dock generally closed and out-of-the-way for maximum viewing real-estate. It's great to be able to open it when/as needed, but having to go thru the dock to reach the Inspectors, oh no, please no.

Perhaps I misunderstand the proposal?

BluGenes wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am oh, i see what you mean.. i kind of don't understand why you would want that, though. If the loop is left selected and you are now viewing the composition, I don't see a benefit for that view.
In general, I almost always want to immediately play that area, as a repeating loop, while observing the Composition level.

Others might not, so that is why I suggest this to be a configurable option.

Thanks for the Structure Edit.
Yes it needs to be easy like you can with regions in Reaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Perhaps I also misunderstood, but (I was sure of this before) inspectors will become part of the new File Browser.

sj1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 am
BluGenes wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am oh, i see what you mean.. i kind of don't understand why you would want that, though. If the loop is left selected and you are now viewing the composition, I don't see a benefit for that view.
In general, I almost always want to immediately play that area, as a repeating loop, while observing the Composition level.

Others might not, so that is why I suggest this to be a configurable option.
That is why that baffles me, the rest of the composition isn't doing anything while the loop is playing. But hey, not questioning your creative process.. hehehe

lulukom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
What I've seen so far is that if I shorten a line (e.g. by using the mouse wheel in the new SB) I lose information.
The part of the phrase length by which I reduce the line is forever erased. I don't think it happened before.
Actually it does.. It is the same behavior if you would drag the tab on the far right of the track to the left, then back to the right. It deletes and does not restore..

Hi lulukom,

everything works the same as before. Setting the length in the inspector was destructive before.
The structure hierarchy and inheritance is the same. Really nothing has changed.
You cannot set the length of parts directly because that is the sum of line lengths.
I'll make moving line boundaries more flexible, as crossovercable and sj1 suggested, to be non-destructible.

Thanks,
Attila

PS: so much feedback, I cannot cope with ;)
lulukom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am

Hey sj1.. here is a quick work around..

double click on a part to bring to focus.. double click again to show composition, it leaves all the chords selected. Right click one of the selected chords and on the gear tab, near the bottom is "set as timeline region".

Return to “MusicDevelopments”