Cubase: aligning edges of MIDI notes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's say you have 4 MIDI notes...how do you quickly align the left or right edges of those notes (to all begin or end at the same place) with the mouse? In Logic you just held down a modifier key while stretching the notes with your mouse, and they would all snap to left or right vertical alignment. This is one thing I used to use a lot and can't find the solution in Cubase. Thanks!

oh wait, you want 4 notes of different endings or lengths to conform?

Yes. Let's say you have a triad or any amount of stacked notes with unequal start or end points (not that you'd necessarily want a chord to always have equal start points, but for example). In Logic, you'd select all the notes then hold down Ctrl and the notes would automatically snap to your cursor as you stretched or shortened them, from whatever end you wanted to align.

I checked that out, it's not quite the same I didn't think. It gave you an alignment choice when stretching the notes, other than using quantize to snap to grid. It didn't equalize the lengths unless you stretched both left and right.

It looks like you'll have to get into Logical Editor to design that. If that works, it's in the right-click under Logical Presets (unless right-click brings up Toolbox acc'd'ing to preferences, which is stupid*).
Not in any right-click, and *control brings up Toolbox, option is for cut and duplicate by dragging, command is for... not much.

There is, in right-click, a way to make the notes selected the same length. Functions/Fixed Lengths

The Logic shift and drag note lengths is particularly good, no way to do this in CB and easily
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I also find that very handy. Need to check later if that's possible in S1.

woodsdenis wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm The Logic shift and drag note lengths is particularly good, no way to do this in CB and easily
You're right, it is the Shift not the Control key, it's been a while since I've used Logic. I used control to disengage snap to grid when dragging a note length.

In any case, this feature is really handy.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 pm There is, in right-click, a way to make the notes selected the same length. Functions/Fixed Lengths
Yes, that's a good one. It doesn't align the ends that are being dragged though, which is what the Logic thing did when Shift-Dragging the note ends. I was hoping to do this in Cubase.

Maybe i misunderstand, but when you have "Snap" on, just dragging the notes will automatically snap to your quantize value, no need to use shift or ctrl. This is for both note start and note end. So just click and hold while dragging.
More BPM please

Even if, let’s say, the left ends are not all evenly at the same start point? When I have done this with snap on, only one of the notes will snap to the quantize value and the others are still uneven. This doesn’t also help if you want to align the right ends.

The thing that was nice about how logic does it is that the notes can be totally uneven and by holding shift and dragging the notes in whatever direction, the ends will automatically snap together and align vertically, and you don’t have to snap to any grid if you don’t want to.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”