SONICALLY Best VST Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My "best sounding synth" sounds great on its own but I hardly ever find a place for it in a mix. Leaves me pondering the meaning of the question really.
By the way Bones do you still have that trinity? I have a "fully loaded" still, and though it is dated there are some great sounds that I just can't quite replicate elsewhere.
Last edited by buzz1 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bermudagold wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:31 am so I googled stephan bodzin wir......genuinely curious why that song resonates with you...is it something you can articulate?...3 million views, 800 comments...top comment says "how is this track even possible"...lots of people saying the track brings tears to their eyes?
As i said, extremly nuanced modulations. The track has a nice melancholic vibe, with a touch of optimism :) Not many electronic artist are able to transport such strong emotions. The first time i heard this track, it gave me goosebumps (no joke). I'm not a fan, or frequently listening to his music but some of his tracks are outstanding.

audiot wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am
bermudagold wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:31 am so I googled stephan bodzin wir......genuinely curious why that song resonates with you...is it something you can articulate?...3 million views, 800 comments...top comment says "how is this track even possible"...lots of people saying the track brings tears to their eyes?
As i said, extremly nuanced modulations. The track has a nice melancholic vibe, with a touch of optimism :) Not many electronic artist are able to transport such strong emotions. The first time i heard this track, it gave me goosebumps (no joke). I'm not a fan, or frequently listening to his music but some of his tracks are outstanding.
I checked it out. Really cool track! Kind of a slowburn, but its pretty unique, I can see the appeal!

Jkist wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am I checked it out. Really cool track! Kind of a slowburn, but its pretty unique, I can see the appeal!
If you like emotional electronic music you should check Apparat or his former project Moderat ... to me he's the greates electronic artist, besides Jon Hopkins :hail:

audiot wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 am
Jkist wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am I checked it out. Really cool track! Kind of a slowburn, but its pretty unique, I can see the appeal!
If you like emotional electronic music you should check Apparat or his former project Moderat ... to me he's the greates electronic artist, besides Jon Hopkins :hail:
Love "Arcadia". How does he make his voice sound so much like Thom Yorke?

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm Love "Arcadia". How does he make his voice sound so much like Thom Yorke?
They both have that pleading timbre in their voice and are exceptionally talented. Fun Fact: Thom Yorke colaborated with Modeselektor, the two guys from Apparats former project Moderat. I'm sure Apparat and Thom Yorke met each other. Imagine a colab between these two :wheee:

'SONICALLY' the Soniccharge plugins are the best :)

audiot wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:00 amThat was a stupid example. I apologize :oops: I was listening to Bodzin while posting this. But he's well known in the techno scene. I talked to some dnb heads a while ago and even they knew him.
Two sides of the same coin to most people. I think I can probably tell the difference between one and the other most of the time but it all sounds very similar to me.
He's one of the few guys who actually play a synth (very nuanced modulations as essential part of the arrangment). You should check his work. There are some tracks that everyone loves, no matter which style of music you're in ("wir" for example ... awesome track)
"Wir" is what Wire changed their name to when their drummer left. Unless it has vocals and a recognisable chorus, I doubt I'd like it at all...
... I had a listen anyway and it's actually a much worse piece than I'd expected. Absolute waste of time, something of a standard I'd feel embarrassed to share. It doesn't even sound half-finished to me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

DUNE 3
DIVA
POLY-M
ANA 2

I still find myself gravitating towards that classic Virus sound, so I'll say:

Spire
Dune3
Viper
Sylenth1

From a technical point of view, lots of VST synths in 2020 are sonically excellent.

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 am Two sides of the same coin to most people. I think I can probably tell the difference between one and the other most of the time but it all sounds very similar to me.
DnB and Techno :?: I dont know what kind of DnB you've listened to, but the most obvious difference is in BPM.
BONES wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 am Unless it has vocals and a recognisable chorus, I doubt I'd like it at all...
Then you may like this ... nice 80ies vibe with awesome vocals. I never thought that i would like a Westbam track, but i was so wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJgf3_3T74

snip
Last edited by biomechanoid on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

deleted
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

audiot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:30 pmDnB and Techno :?: I dont know what kind of DnB you've listened to, but the most obvious difference is in BPM.
That's something you would know but the songs we make range from 75bpm to 160 bpm, yet they all fall within the same genre. That sort of differentiation is absurd to most outsiders and is certainly irrelevant as to which synths you might choose.
Then you may like this ... nice 80ies vibe with awesome vocals. I never thought that i would like a Westbam track, but i was so wrong! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJgf3_3T74
Good Dog! How on Earth did anyone manage to make Richard Butler sound so dog-damned awful? This is what Richard Butler really sounds like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hGCx-Oiek The Psychedelic Furs are one of my favourite bands but that song of yours, like the other one, sounds like a half-baked idea waiting for someone to finish it properly. Sort of like a rough mix of the bare-bones of a song that you'd take home from the studio after a session so you could listen to it and decide how to make it sound good without wasting $500 an hour faffing about in the studio.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

NeoKortex88 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:07 pm SONICALLY Best VST Synth
lol there's no such thing :lol:

Return to “Instruments”