Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

@lengro and @ahanysz: Regarding the mood change upon plugging in eyesocket audio - I think that makes good sense, I'll let people continue to discuss the matter and see where it sits by the time I can actually implement changes. I consider this to be central issue and it will be given the utmost priority.

@xalama go: I'll add the cable color / source module matching system as part of the default GUI. Regarding color and contrast, I will allow the user to confgure the black portions of the GUI as well, but I definitely will do my best to balance black against the colored aspects (which will now likely be multicolored, maybe with each module grouping sharing a hue but differing in saturation or brightness?) I'm glad you enjoy the layout - there are a couple of issues with it that I can't seem to fix. For instance, if you patch across from the bottom row of the filter section directly into the limiter, the cables cross the knobs in pretty much the worst possible way. I may have to shuffle things around a bit on the bottom center region, basically. We'll see!
The rubberyness in the demos has a lot to do with filtering, which is activated by the "sharpness" of that oscillator. Also, each pitch tracking component has its own glide (portamento) parameter, and that parameter is technically a 1 pole lowpass filter. The way it ends up sounding when oscillators don't all glide exactly the same way can be quite juicy/rubbery sounding. I can't find anything on the chaos oscillator from soundmote? I can say that chaotic patches can be interesting - I love doing this sort of thing: oscillator->filter->FM input of the original oscillator. I like how patches like this have some stable points and some unstable ones, so you'll get a lot of chaos that eventually sorts itself out or goes completely crazy. See through cables, for sure - they're already semitransparent. I could probably just put a button on the GUI that would toggle that alpha value down to 0%.

@JKist don't worry, he's not going anywhere. He might be getting some sort of attitude adjustment, though!

@TIMT I can't believe that you think this thing is easy to patch - I'm so glad you see it that way. As far as just patching oscillators direct to the output goes, this synth is pretty great for that - no technical need to filter if you're bandlimited. I used polynomial approximation for the Freq/(Freq+1) equation required to calculate the coefficient so I could avoid division in the signal path. I.E. I found an equation of the form Ax+Bx^2+Cx^3 that closely approximates x/(x+1) for the range we care about, so that made it very cheap to update that frequency every sample (division is expensive). Resonance modulation is a little bit expensive, but not too bad. Up to ~60,000hz sampling rate, the filters have 2x oversampling, otherwise there is none. Again, helps keep things cheap. Finally, the curves on the synth are calculated in the form of iterated multiplication. I.E. 0.5*0.5=0.25, 0.25*0.5=0.125, 0.125*0.5=0.0625 and so on. The attack curve does have a slightly different setting than the other curves, and I might be able to include something that lets you tweak them on a per-patch basis. I'll do some critical listening and get back to you!

I have a busy week with my day job, but I'm hoping to at least have some of the config file system roughed in this week. Thanks to everyone for your input and for adding energy to this endeavour!

Erich.Pfister wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:43 am @pough I play country blues guitar, listen to bluegrass, have heard enough reggae to be dangerous - I accept your challenge. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic on the demos? In either case, I'm glad they motivated you react!
Not sarcastic! I enjoyed them very much. The synths I have the most fun with are the ones that sound different. That first demo in particular takes an odd sound and makes it sound good.

I liked the demos so much that I just bought it.

Um, where do you want bug reports sent?
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

@pough Please PM any crashes / bugs you have. If it gets to be too much for the PM system, email is an option. I don't want to post my email publicly in the forum because I don't want a bot to scrape it, but I'll PM it to you if you would prefer that. Thank you for being my first customer - I'll have to get some sort of limited edition version put together for you or something!

If you're getting carpal tunnel dragging cables around, FL Studio has a randomize preset function.
Annotation 2020-08-01 153350.png
I don't recommend it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 pm If you're getting carpal tunnel dragging cables around, FL Studio has a randomize preset function.Annotation 2020-08-01 153350.png

I don't recommend it.
Jesus what a mess! :lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Sorry about that!! Randomize preset likely causes random float values to be stored in the connected/disconnected state parameters for each cable. Whenever those parameters are nonzero, they are interpreted as "connected". The amount of yellow in that image is essentially a depiction of how statistically unlikely an exact zero is if you're generating a random number between 0 and 1.

Edit To make randomizers work better with the synth, I'm adding a rounding function.

@pough - what did it sound like?

After looking at the source - turns out there's already a rounding function, it's just that each output has many potential inputs to connect to, so a 50% chance on each of those yields a lot of connections. I'm experimenting with that rounding function to see if I can keep it sparser by using a higher rounding threshold.

Sounds absolutely awesome (demo "Anacreontest2 12 16 2018" got me) ! But the GUI is a joke : you want to torture us so we can merit your synth right ? It's a kind of test : those who can bear this GUI deserve the right to use the synth... Back to the times when the greek gods challenge the humans to find who are the chosen ones ?
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:54 am @pough - what did it sound like?
:hihi: I wasn't really expecting it to work. Not every synth can be randomized. It sounded like me blinking as I suddenly found myself looking at the desktop background.

DJErmac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 am It's a kind of test : those who can bear this GUI deserve the right to use the synth...
I win!

I did not use smilies everywhere but actually this is a very friendly comment : the synth sounds awesome, congrats to the developper ! ;)
This was a way to say that my vote goes to a new GUI also.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

@DJErmac thank you for your friendly engagement! If you look at some of the posts on page 3 of this thread, you can see what the current plans/ideas are for the GUI. If you think of any ideas you'd like to share / things you'd like to see in the UI, please let me know!

Erich.Pfister wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:49 am Sorry about that!!
You have nothing to apologize for. You don't need to make your synth work with FL Studio's randomizer. I just thought it was funny. I tried to do the same with u-he ACE and it results in multi-coloured spaghetti. Sometimes it makes a sound.

@pough - lol, thanks for that - I do kind of want to make it work though, and I'm already on my 5th attempt, so I think I'm going to have to see this one through!

Return to “Instruments”