EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
rawl747
KVRist
58 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Virginia

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:08 am

speedymonk
KVRer
Contact speedymonk
4 posts since 15 Jul, 2020
Unread post Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for the input. I have a number of synth keyboards and tone modules I will be using to record into my DAW. The 1820m fits that bill. It works on Windows 10 1709 but I will get everything going full steam when I assemble all the new parts and run an intel i910900K processor. Have a PCIe to PCI adapter card that I know works. Doing it this way I shouldn't need any future machine upgrades for another 10 years (perhaps wishful thinking).

Still wondering if anyone on Windows 10 has got 96K or 192k to show up and work.
I will have to fire up the old PC with my 1820m to test the sampling rate for 96k or 192k. If I get a chance this weekend I will try to see on mine.

Rawl

speedymonk
KVRer
8 posts since 15 Jul, 2020

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Thank you.

HURRICANEBOB
KVRer
8 posts since 8 Jul, 2020

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm

So, I finally gave up on Windows 7, as I could not get Emulator X to authenticate from the original installation disc. I really wanted that (amazing)software, and use all of the sound banks as VST instruments in Cubase SX. I bit the bullet, wiped the computer and did a clean install of Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3. Everything went flawlessly, except for the fact that it wouldn't connect to the internet using Windows Internet Explorer. Funny thing is, it would connect to bing.com and msn.com only. After a half day trying to figure this out I finally installed Firefox and it connected to the internet through my wireless LAN card without a hitch. Go figure! It turns out that this was due to the newer SSL security protocols... (I wanted to be able to connect to the internet so that I could install updates...) Installed the Emu 1212M sound card with daughter board, then Cubase SX2 with all the pertinent updates. I have the ASIO drivers set to 5 milliseconds with no problems at all. It's truly incredible that audio recording has remained virtually unchanged while video has rampantly changed over the last fifteen years. Everything that I could possibly need is there (except for the latest soft synths, of course...) and the fidelity is phenomenal. After all these years in storage I feel like a kid with a new toy! :)

speedymonk
KVRer

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

Re-checked windows 7, 8 , XP 64 and windows 10 1709. Card works, but ONLY at 44.1 resolution. Using the latest BETA driver and Patch Mix 2.1 (2.2 makes no difference). Disappointing. Only sound card that has been on the drives. If I can't get this to go to at least 48.1 (using analogue L/R inputs and outputs) I may invest in a Focusrite Claret. Don't want to have to do that. Any tips/tricks?

l_maseroni
KVRist
55 posts since 22 Jun, 2019

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello friends, I have my 1616 working on windows 7 well for now. I hope to continue like this. Something that I find very annoying is not having a knob for the main mix. How have they solved it? I have a mackie vlz micro series console, I have connected the monitor output of the 1616 to the tape in of the console but it is an unbalanced connection. Should I invest in a monitoring control?

rawl747
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 am

Re-checked windows 7, 8 , XP 64 and windows 10 1709. Card works, but ONLY at 44.1 resolution. Using the latest BETA driver and Patch Mix 2.1 (2.2 makes no difference). Disappointing. Only sound card that has been on the drives. If I can't get this to go to at least 48.1 (using analogue L/R inputs and outputs) I may invest in a Focusrite Claret. Don't want to have to do that. Any tips/tricks?
Haven't gotten that old DAW machine out of the "closet" yet but I noticed you mentioned Focusrite. I went with a Scarlett 18120 when I went to a laptop as my DAW machine. I went with this for several reasons. First, it had MIDI In and Out and second it had a mixer GUI somewhat similar to the PatchMixDSP GUI for my 1820m. Plus the Focusrite can actually work without being connected to the PC. Their ASIO drivers are not bad and Focusrite as opposed to Creative, continues to support my "1st Generation" 18i20 even though they are onto the 3rd Generation now.

If I were going to rely on my 1820m, I would seriously think about going back to Windows 7 and just firewall that machine off from the internet so the lack of security updates for Win 7 would no longer be an issue.

Rawl

speedymonk
KVRer

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks. I will likely bite the bullet for the Scarlett. Also has Midi I/O. There are some used ones which have Thunderbolt (probably 2). I don't need a huge number of inputs as I utilize a Mackie LM-3204 line mixer for my keyboards and synths. I have plenty of DSP power in all of those synths and keyboards combined so VSTs will be a very minor issue. Perhaps with drums.

I am trying to get away from having two separate computers. One new machine. Will have two distinct drives with Windows 10. One will be disabled for updates and be for audio recording only. The second on I will clone from my existing all-purpose Windows 10 drive. And the new Z490 motherboards for the Intel 10th gen chips will only support Windows 10. So "progress" appears to be forcing my hand. It will be a very nice and fast machine when it is finished. Waiting for the i9 10900K processor to become available at a decent price. I understand mid-September to early October would be a good time. to purchase. If not, I'll go with the i7 10700 at $400 or less. Availability, hopefully lower pricing and bios updates for the Z490 boards will be ready. I will also have my cash saved. I will also sign for an Amazon credit card. I can get the motherboard for $100 off as a result. Perhaps buy other stuff if less than New Egg or B&H, pay off the card and then cancel it. We will see.

Really wanted the EMU to work, but ..... time marches on. If I can get the 48k to work I might keep it for my needs. However, something with native 64 bit seems to be better...and no work-arounds.

rawl747
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 am

Speedymonk,

You are the second person I know with an Emu interface and a Mackie LM-3204 mixer! I thin you will like the Scarlett.

Rawl

speedymonk
KVRer

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:36 am

Thank you. Love them both. Looks like the Scarlett will be moving in once I get the machine configured, etc. Thanks for the help. I am surprised that 48k doesn't work.Can't record or hear any sound. Maybe if I hooked a spdif to the keyboard. Anyway.... will make that audio final choice a little later.

Easy_Does_It
KVRer
24 posts since 22 Feb, 2020

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 pm

bob swans wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 pm
1616m user here, I have been struggling with recording daw output into OBS quite a bit. I now use this method https://youtu.be/EQ3PRNtny34
Thank you very much for the tip! Always open to new suggestions. I've actually tried different "virtual cable" options, including VoiceMeeter, in this process. I hadn't tried Reastream yet, and since I use Reaper anyway, it seemed like a great idea. Unfortunately, attempting to load Reastream as a filter results in OBS crashing every time. After searching a lot, I have yet to find a solution that works.

You inspired me to do some more research, and I stumbled on another similar method using Rearoute (another Reaper plugin). Here's the video for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANeA0wh ... e=youtu.be

Notice in the comments of the video, someone mentions having to also install the OBS "ASIO plugin". I did that, and sure enough, ASIO became an option in the Audio Capture menu in OBS. The link for that is here: https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio/r ... ag/v2.0.2b

Using this method, I was able to connect Rearoute to OBS - I was finally getting my DAW audio piping into OBS! Wow! No virtual cable required! Ah but.. there's always a "but". Turns out, I listened back to the recorded video, and the audio is useless! The audio is coming in digitally garbled/distorted. Ugh...

So after playing with every possible setting in OBS, Rearoute, and Reaper, I still can't get that issue resolved. Everything is at the same sample rate of course, but I have a theory that it has something to do with the fact that my Windows and Reaper are 64-bit, but the E-mu Patchmix is 32-bit. The only other thing I can think is that maybe bitrate is an issue. But no setting in OBS or Reaper seems to make the problem go away.

In conclusion, I'm closer than I've ever been to this ridiculously elusive goal that seems like it should be simple to solve. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. In any case, I wanted to report back my findings for everyone's information and thank you for your help.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”