Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

I only spent a couple of minutes trying this but couldn't figure out how to get a sound out of it. :help:

Do you have an Init patch or a screenshot of the most basic patch which will produce a sound? Thanks.

Check the gain knobs, all of the gain knobs allow for positive and negative values with 0 at the 12 o’clock position. So you may simply need to turn the gain up and patch the oscillators into the outputs to get sound going. Read back through the thread, you’re not the first person to have this issue.

Thanks Alex!

@Frantz: I just uploaded a few patches to the product page, please feel free to give them a shot - Alex's advice is a good starting point. Also, there's a bug with l1 not working on the filters - please check back tomorrow for version 2.5.1 which will fix that issue.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:35 am @Frantz: I just uploaded a few patches to the product page, please feel free to give them a shot - Alex's advice is a good starting point. Also, there's a bug with l1 not working on the filters - please check back tomorrow for version 2.5.1 which will fix that issue.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the presets don't load properly in Studio One 4.01 on Win 7 64 bit. The preset name comes up but nothing else changes on the UI and the synth makes no sound. Also note supporting VST3 only was another stumbling block. I had to figure out how to get this particular older version of StudioOne to recognize a VST3 plugin.

While the audio demos are intriguing, the synth is not very user friendly yet. I will keep an eye on this and probably try again once the product matures a bit.

On the topic of supporting VST3 only, this is unfortunately the only option for VST available these days. Steinberg does not allow you to sell VST 2.4 plugins anymore unless you all ready had a license with them before some date a year ago or so, anyone who doesn’t have said license Is liable to be sued by them.

@Frantz In PMs with user pough, I've learned that this plugin has compatibility problems with StudioOne and some versions of Tracktor. I plan to debug this when possible.

aah, i remember teh days when electronic musicians would talk about anacreon (and negativland) but that's all over now, it's been over for some time has an tit lads.

i used to limit poly to reduce cpu hit of teh heavy processes, useless for anyone who uses chords much. i say get some weed to help you with the gui.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

someone tell meffy that i said seal team six again.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Alex.Zywicki wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm On the topic of supporting VST3 only, this is unfortunately the only option for VST available these days. Steinberg does not allow you to sell VST 2.4 plugins anymore unless you all ready had a license with them before some date a year ago or so, anyone who doesn’t have said license Is liable to be sued by them.
Yes, I remember reading about this. Which means new developers have no choice but to go VST3 only while most of the world is on VST 2.4. :(

xoxos wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:43 pm aah, i remember teh days when electronic musicians would talk about anacreon (and negativland) but that's all over now, it's been over for some time has an tit lads.

i used to limit poly to reduce cpu hit of teh heavy processes, useless for anyone who uses chords much. i say get some weed to help you with the gui.
Negativland just had a new album and it’s great.

https://negativland.com/
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Erich.Pfister wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:12 pm @Frantz In PMs with user pough, I've learned that this plugin has compatibility problems with StudioOne and some versions of Tracktor. I plan to debug this when possible.
I see. That explains why I couldn't get a sound out of it. Thanks.

Sounds really good. I’ll definitely pick this one up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Erich.Pfister wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:43 am @bmanic - regarding the silence on the 64 bit version of the plugin that ran but was silent, could you check to see if you turned the oscillator's volume knob away from 12 o'clock? Every gain knob on this synth is through zero and a vertical knob position is zero/silent.
This is most likely what was causing the issue. My bad! Will give the synth another go once I get back to my music setup later in the week.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Frantz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 pm I only spent a couple of minutes trying this but couldn't figure out how to get a sound out of it. :help:

Do you have an Init patch or a screenshot of the most basic patch which will produce a sound? Thanks.
There are two things you need to do to get a sound out of Anacreon.

1. Set oscillator gain. By default it is zero at 12 o'clock.
2. Route sound to main out.
Anacreon's First Sound.png
I would like to know the difference between negative and positive gain. Does it affect phase?

EDIT: Looks to be phase. It was easy to test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

@xoxos I am confused by much of your post, but I agree with you that weed does make the GUI more enjoyable. Also, I don't know who meffy is, and provided that telling them about seal team six won't cause me any physical harm, I would be happy to relay your message should I ever encounter them.

@Frantz welcome to our brave new world. My only solace is that DAW support is pretty good now. If this happened in any other industry, it would be unacceptable. It would be like sony forcing people to publish on bluray instead of dvd and suing them if they don't comply.

@Frantz I have acquired a trial copy of StudioOne and am working on it. I'm upset that my plugin doesn't run on all VST3-supporting DAWs and look forward to getting everything running as it should be.

@zerocrossing You're awesome - do it! Try the demo first and please let me know if you have any issues getting it to run.

@bmanic it's totally not your bad - nowhere in any documentation did I mention that those knobs are zero at 12 o'clock. I truly need to work on documentation, and this proves it.

@pough seriously, thank you for the infographic. Negative polarity is what a lot of people call "phase inversion", but I think of it as an upside down version of the wave. If your saw wave goes from -1 to 1 then resets back to -1 each cycle, then the negative version goes from 1 to -1 and resets to positive 1. You can completely cancel out the waveform by adding a positive and negative version together.

As a side note, it's fun to try that with a spread detuned saw wave, you get very strange cancellations since the waves aren't exactly perfect opposites. If you set the super to 2, set the spread all the way up in either direction, then detune them slightly and output the sum of L and negative R, you end up with a pulse wave with PWM. It's crazy. Will save a patch of this and show it to everyone.

I left these knobs as thru-zero controls so that people could experiment with phase cancellation / do other weird algebraic stuff with oscillators and filters that I can't account for - I just didn't want to limit anyone's creativity. I was worried that it would be like removing the claw from a clawhammer because you never realized that someone might want to take a nail back out.

Return to “Instruments”