Euphonic Carphology -- Ambient / Electronica / Glitch 18 minute Epic (114bpm)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The track (320kbps 48kHz mp3): Euphonic Carphology

How it was made:

During cyber monday I purchased Audiority's Grainspace and Polaris plugins. A few hours ago I spent about 90 minutes messing around with these two. I had Grainspace as the main "instrument" being fed with a short snippet of audio from an old recording I did for a music class of a junior high school. They sang their cover version of "Gimme Some Loving" by The Spencer Davies Group.. so naturally I thought this would be good material to feed into Grainspace and make an 18 minute epic ambient/glitch/electronica opus. :hihi:

Grainspace was followed by FabFilter Volcano 2 which does all the various cool filtering and rhythms that counteract the chaotic glitchy rhythm mayhem that Grainspace outputs. This was then fed into an aux that contained Polaris where I tweak the synced timing. This is where some of the clicks and pops come from. I didn't feel like removing those even though it'd be possible with post processing in iZotope RX.

Once I had about 90 minutes worth of material I started chopping it up and creating the song. It's done on two tracks that most of the time play together. I've automated volume, panning and stereo width. Mixing was done on the mixbus with various plugins mainly to give the audio some density and finesse. I also added a very faint Valhalla Room reverb on an Aux but it's about -24dB down into the noise floor so you don't really hear it at all. It just provides some glue (you'd notice it if I'd bypass it). I also added Acustica Audio Lemon delay plugin for the same purpose. It does some hard left/right muted ping pong stuff that provides additional glue and rhythmic vibrancy to the track. Again it's way down into the noise floor so you can't really hear it except in one specific part of the track where I rise the volume. Any real delay you hear will be Polaris.

All knob tweaking during the 90 minutes of audio material gathering was done with the mouse, juggling between the three plugins. I switched through various presets in FF Volcano 2 while keeping the wet/dry mix of Reaper at 0% so as to avoid unnecessary glitches and clicks. The main droning note throughout the song is done with Grainspace resonator filter section, tuned to the same note as the incoming audio source had as root note. What I learned from this experience is that tweaking virtual knobs with a mouse is tricky and probably nowhere nearly as fun as tweaking live with knobs.

TL;DR: Bought a few plugins. Made a track.

Smoke 'em if you got em, guaranteed enhanced experience. :hihi:

-bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

That was an interesting trip and I wasn't even trippin' :) I like it overall and how it changes through. This is nice music to play int he background. It could even be in a techno-thriller movie.
Software: Reason 10, Acid Pro 8, Reaper, Sibelius,RapidComposer,Captain Plugins, Orb Plugins
https://soundcloud.com/devin-cooper-620205327
Need help with writing Lyrics, Try This: https://lyricstudio.net/?via=devin

18 mins for smokin?

im in as soon as i get near the computer!
im assuming the phone will not do this justice :hihi:

woah!
epic indeed, and to be honest, a lot "more" than i expected.
by which i mean, from the description, i was expecting something like a cloud of grains, that long reverbesque sound, with occasional glitches and noises. while that would have been cool as far as im concerned, this is like a whole other level.
theres so much going on throughout, and so much energy too, i could easily see this being dropped in some sweaty house party and people going mental :band:

and yeah, doing this with a mouse :o
get a controller with enough knobs man!

anyway, gonna let this finish while i finish my smoke :party:

ooh the voices at around 17 mins onwards 8)

I like rhythmic textures, especially long pieces. I listened to this while playing Forza, good driving music. At times I was reminded of Baba O' Riley, at other times I had the feeling I get when I've jammed something too long.

I do a lot of excessively long pieces and I think that there's a challenge there in avoiding that feeling. I'm not trying to be critical though, just that this piece gives me that sense at some point. I suspect that my own work gives others that same feeling much sooner that it does me and so, from that point of view, maybe my feedback is helpful?

I agree with Vurt though. I have a house record that has a really long rhythmic texture intro, on the order of four minutes, sorry, I'm too lazy to go look it up, it's pretty much half the record. It's really satisfying when that super long intro drops into the groove.

Thanks guys for the comments!

@ghettosynth: You are completely 100% correct with the comment "at other times I had the feeling I get when I've jammed something too long" because that is the truth! The original length of this was 21 minutes until I decided to cut out the whole intro.. there are tons of places that can be optimized for a much better flow. Several things annoy me where some of the movement cuts a bit too abruptly.

I did after all put only about 4 or 5 hours into this thing from beginning to end. Considering that, I'm really happy with the results!

It's ridiculous how awesome noises you can get out of Grainspace (or any similar plugin really). I'm definitely getting a knob box for home that will stay here permanently in cases of inspiration like these. It really sucked trying to do things with the mouse in real time. Tons of times I missed the pitch shifts of the grains and had to do it all over again, first resetting the delay line in Polaris and getting the background glitchyness going again and then try to pitch successfully.

I'll definitely go back to this song and try to make it a more cohesive whole. It's a very long time since I've worked on such a long piece.. last time I did it was for some indie sci-fi/doomsday movie. :)

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm I did after all put only about 4 or 5 hours into this thing from beginning to end. Considering that, I'm really happy with the results!
Of course, and if it wasn't clear, I liked it.

Holy smokes (what i had and what i said) that’s awesome and i’m glad to read a description of the process. It is long but i like long. I’m sure if i gave it the full acid test every second would be firing off some charges in my head.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Dang that is nice, great sounds throughout.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

If you made a tutorial on this process, I'd watch it for sure.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Wow great track! By the way, wondering what was the Cyber Monday sale price for Polaris and Grainspace back in 2018? Thanks.

It was about 30% off at that time. Btw, that track is fantastic! I would love to have the time to get the stems and remix it, adding some electronic drum parts.

Return to “Music Cafe”