Hit'n'Mix Infinity

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With Spectralayers 7 due to come out quite soon apparently – something I've been looking forward to, having been very interested in getting Spectralayers 6 for the last few months – I've been looking at other spectral editors to compare. In the last couple of days I came across Hit'n'Mix's Infinity and it looks interesting to me, as a sound designer, particularly the "instrument palette" feature. Does anyone have experience with this app? How does it compare to Spectralayers?

I guess those of us that are hobbyists would like it but think its too expensive IMO

I usually have no restraint and am in debt because of my GAS but Ive managed to resist clicking the buy button, its been a close thing on a few occassions though!

I even resisted trying the demo as I knew Id love it.

I have Spectralayers , theyre not in the same toolbox. Its closer to Melodyne.
But its way more useful as a creative tool. Melodyne was born as a correction tool and its harder to acheive alot of the good stuff that HnM can do. Ive watched the videos and salivated.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Thanks for the response. My GAS is only very mild so I mostly do manage to restrain myself. In this case I think I prioritise the Spectralayers functionality over that of Infinity if they're that different. The thing that really draws me to Infinity is the way it's able to distinguish the discrete elements of the audio and therefore isolate distinct instruments that can be used in the instrument palette. Maybe there is some similar functionality to this in Spectralayers?

berborker wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 pm Thanks for the response. My GAS is only very mild so I mostly do manage to restrain myself. In this case I think I prioritise the Spectralayers functionality over that of Infinity if they're that different. The thing that really draws me to Infinity is the way it's able to distinguish the discrete elements of the audio and therefore isolate distinct instruments that can be used in the instrument palette. Maybe there is some similar functionality to this in Spectralayers?
Thats HnM main selling point and the fact you can take one intrument and apply characteristics to another instrument.

In Spectralayers you have to do the work yourself, it cant identify instruments.

But v7 is on the horizon and under Steineys guidance who knows what features will appear 8)

Yeah, I'm excited to see what's new! It's supposed to be a big update!

Actually i am interested in Hit'n'Mix as well but now Spectralayers 7 is there:

https://new.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

Infinity is 20% off until August 5, tempted.

berborker wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:09 pm Yeah, I'm excited to see what's new! It's supposed to be a big update!
Indeed, the affordable upgrade is way more tempting than the measly 20% on HnM.

Plus I'm willing to wait it out, all good things bargains come to those who wait.

Looks like SL can do the separation now, I suspect not as good
New in Version 7 is the implementation of Artificial Intelligence that allows for the introduction of exciting new features, including automatic pattern detection, clip repair, unmixing tracks to stems as well as unmixing stems to component parts. Other new automated processes include click repair, hum removal and precision spectral de-essing. These features are rounded out by an array of useful enhancements, such as the improved ARA 2 integration with Cubase and Nuendo, VST 3 plug-in support and much more.

The new Artificial Intelligence in SpectraLayers Pro recognizes distinct events and isolates them by moving them to independent layers that are highlighted for further processing. The AI-assisted unmixing capability in SpectraLayers Pro scans a mixed song and extracts the different instruments within the song to separate layers, adding default settings for vocals, piano, bass, drums and more, while SpectraLayers Elements extracts vocals only. Unmix can also be used on stems, separating these into tone, noise and transient component layers. With its AI technology, SpectraLayers has now also made significant advances in pattern recognition: users can select a target sound and then trigger a search to automatically locate and select every other similar sound in the spectrum.

Great vocal processing tools exclusively available in Pro include the Voice Denoiser that recognizes and isolates the human voice for emphasizing the voice, or the new automatic de-essing for shaping sibilants.
The new AI-driven repair processes consist of Clip Repair for detecting and fixing clipped peaks (available in Pro only), Hum Reduction for eliminating unwanted hum and Click repair for repairing clicks, crackles and pops.

The enhanced Transform tool can preserve formants for more natural-sounding pitch transpositions, and the new Transform Selection tool is another one of many new tools introduced in SpectraLayers 7. It adds corner and midpoint handles that can be dragged to fine-tune selection boundaries, such as adjusting the bandwidth selections made with the Frequency Selection tool.

The upgraded Healing tool is now also assisted by AI, resulting in better interpolation and faster performance. The Playback tool now lets users select a specific frequency bandwidth that can then be auditioned anywhere on the spectral graph.

79 € for the upgrade from v6 is ok, I'll bite.

Hit'n'Mix looks great, and with an endless budget... (i buy already things if had an endless budget.. but i manage to keep my savings account in order...)

i had already spectralayers pro 6, for sounddesign. and for €79 today, pro 7..

perhaps i am afraid to demo it for a month (afraid! yes!). but Hit'n'Mix seems quite different than spectralayers.

i am wrong that it is mainly a remix, in spectral domain, tool? from the videos it seems almost more a melodyne approach.

i must point out (and i seem to mention it in 60% of my posts..), i make my own samples, field recording, sometimes a smartphone, sometimes from a DAW, a sketch with a synth or more synths (+effects) all programmed myself, or from one of my soft modulars, etc. etc.

so seperation, of instruments in my case... i already used the stems unmix, on a sample that was made in cubase i think, i thought two synths, no it is LION, with an own preset, through octavox, but octavox is being played, a recorded midi track..
i think i chose all instruments you can get, and strangely, it produced, when i solo bass an drum a nice deep drone...
and it contains no drum yes of course a kind of bass... so an abuser. (and was looking for the project, discovered 5 projects more with sounds that are ready to export, bit chaotic, since i work on 2 systems... and use more than one DAW, time to make inventory...).

so what brings Hit'n'Mix when you make your own samples, sometimes rythmic, and you want to use it as tool, to distill as much as possible different samples from one sample. (i use also other methods, time stretch abuse, for instance, in wavelab... or in ableton, with simpler, or... or... but also playing a non-warped sample at different pitches (which also changes speed) gives great results, simple, but i use it a lot... also warped samples, with another warp modes. or in other samplers then simpler... or effects...)

i know i write too long posts. but i have my developed this method, not that original, but in my own way.

it seems that spectralayers pro 7 gives me more possibilities, even if we forgot the AI, although pattern recognization... can be nice, for loops, or rearranging loops.

also the ecosystem wavelab pro/cubase pro/spectralayers pro, although it could be better integrated, you can edit via wavelab in spectralayers, and via spectralayers in wavelab, but the last one works with temp files it looks. ARA2 for wavelab? will that solve it? it isn't that problematic i jump around daw's, editors, etc. standalone stuff.. it has the advantage of that you are not tight to the possibilities of one editor, or one daw.

if i look at the page of Hit'n'Mix, it isn't a real spectral editor, it capability of blending instruments, that is a thing, but i also have melda's MMorph... (and a lot more melda plugins...). it has spectral capabilities, perhaps more than i see from the video's.

mmmmh my post isn't that clear, i think i am using this post more, to determine what i have and what i already can do. and that's a lot.

Hit'n'Mix seems to be capable of many things, in a way that is combined in one editor. but if i look around in my studio, although it is ITB...., many things i already can do.
that doesn't mean Hit'n'Mix isn't great. it combines a lot. don't think i can copy a note in variaudio (still monophonic), to add harmonics for instance. it can be done in spectralayers, with a total different approach.

mmmmmmmh, great stuff out there. me thinks i can do the things i want, already.

but it has something tempting. although the only review i read, was sound on sound, in january, that was very positive, but also critical, it seems that it is as difficult as to do it in spectralayers. but we are now in august, the developer has, me thinks, done a lot.

as already mentioned closer to melodyne. i think, and i think that will be the answer given, try all what you have now for a year (although i already use it of course), and then see if i miss something. i have acquired many special effects (special effects....), that do already great stuff. effects that must be tweaked, or better, have a modular approach, gives you also a great control. not that visual.

Spectralayers Feature set has improved quite a bit from v4 which I have. Just need assurance on stability as v4 was very prone to crashing. Shame there is no demo.

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 pm Spectralayers Feature set has improved quite a bit from v4 which I have. Just need assurance on stability as v4 was very prone to crashing. Shame there is no demo.
Version 6 was/is a crashfest so let's see...

Sampleconstruct wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 pm Spectralayers Feature set has improved quite a bit from v4 which I have. Just need assurance on stability as v4 was very prone to crashing. Shame there is no demo.
Version 6 was/is a crashfest so let's see...
Bad ethics as far as I am concerned then.

Just checking out the Infinity demo, analyzing a 4+ minute long soundscape so far has taken about 4 minutes and it's still analyzing - and that's on a Mac Pro with 12 cores...

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 am Just checking out the Infinity demo, analyzing a 4+ minute long soundscape so far has taken about 4 minutes and it's still analyzing - and that's on a Mac Pro with 12 cores...
Be interested by the result. Most probably soundscapes not heavily represented in the algo training sets. (If they used a machine learning system)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”