Care to fill me in on the last 15 years of software development?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm
audiot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:31 pm grrrr damn kids!
get off my lawn!!! :x
But Mr. vurt, you've paid us 5 bucks to cut the lawn. Dont you remember?
haha! i dont even have a lawn!

give me my 5 bucks back :x
Okay, there you are :x But you better watch your cat :evil: ... *grumpy old bastard*

audiot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm
audiot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:31 pm grrrr damn kids!
get off my lawn!!! :x
But Mr. vurt, you've paid us 5 bucks to cut the lawn. Dont you remember?
haha! i dont even have a lawn!

give me my 5 bucks back :x
Okay, there you are :x But you better watch your cat :evil: ... *grumpy old bastard*
you leave my pussy alone :o

In addition to all of the above, modern piano modeling (both acoustic and electric) will probably make you lose your mind. Amp sims, too.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 pm In addition to all of the above, modern piano modeling (both acoustic and electric) will probably make you lose your mind. Amp sims, too.
In like, a good way right?

How about physical modelling for orchestral instruments?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Jkist wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm
Jafo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 pm In addition to all of the above, modern piano modeling (both acoustic and electric) will probably make you lose your mind. Amp sims, too.
In like, a good way right?
chagzuki wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:03 pm How about physical modelling for orchestral instruments?
Lose your mind in an even gooder way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PK2AHykRQ
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Cool. That can put more people out of a job... all they really need to do is make composers redundant, and presumably that's coming.

chagzuki wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01 am Cool. That can put more people out of a job... all they really need to do is make composers redundant, and presumably that's coming.
Well, it’s their own fault, innit? Always insisting on getting payed and stuff. I mean, didn’t they get the memo that music isn’t supposed to cost anything nowadays?

If only food didn't cost anything either.

composers and musicians are completely unnecessary anyway. all that is wanted is easily replaceable content and he software makes the content.

Subscription models, active (and sometimes intrusive) license managers, monolithic installers, and combinations thereof are some of the maybe not so positive trends that are growing. Some companies are taking taking relatively customer friendly approaches to these, some not.

Summary for OP: VST emulations of hardware now have more bass, less aliasing, and install themselves into standardized folder locations. Many object to this. Distortion, tape hiss, and flutter are now desirable things. A reality-TV star is now President.

Could someone give me a rundown on the Toontrack product line progression since 2005? I bought DFH Superior back then, which was a messy product as a standalone, but combined with energyXT and some expertise in mixing it was fantastic. Basically I had to set up complex routing methods so that I could sculpt the individual drum sounds with compression, eq and reverb, which had to be done externally to the DFH plugin. Initially I thought it was garbage, as unprocessed drums sound sloppy (and I wasn't prepared for just how sloppy), but with those unprocessed drums I could tailor the bite/snappiness exactly as I pleased with FX, and the result was totally organic. Really, I just want that workflow back... so I could either try to convert the 32bit dll, or buy a new plugin. What's the state of the market in this regard, right now?

last 15 years?

more of the same really, with even more people arguing about what is best

The question was about software development and nobody mentioned Juce yet?
Also VST2 is deprecated and VST3 only slowly arriving, but is finally open sourced...
Those who use Juce, automatically can compile for all platforms including iOS and Linux...

Return to “Instruments”