eBay Knockoff Guitars

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A little while back, we made a video about our experience with a cheap replica bass from eBay and what it took to make it work.

Have you ever had any experience with knockoff guitars or basses? Or even a cheap alternative in general? Let us know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYGgYSS0jw
Take care :wink:

edit- this seemed a little rude,
which was out of order and certainly not due
best to say nothing sometimes {blush}
Last edited by nix808 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nice tshirt :tu:

$800 vs $14000 go figure.
The copies would have no love put into them and I bet output quantity is more important. That said, I'm a believer in budget instruments sub £500.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I would have to agree. I think there could be a place for copies/replicas - not diving into the ethics of such a market - but a decent price range should still be there. For example, selling a replica for half or a third of the price. Or a body, for example, skipping the questionable electronics. There could be no limit of what could be thought up as to a "cheap option that delivers the same blank".

But when it comes to budget instruments - that's a big yes from me. Especially nowadays, you can find good for cheap. It's just that with guitars and other collectable instruments, limited runs could gain value over time, becoming the "$10000 guitar", even though the currently available offerings not only perform better but don't burn the wallet either. People will always want to buy something for many different reasons, may it be the look, the aged sound, the notoriety.
Take care :wink:

One thought - with the advent of knock-offs, some of the king makers have developed a cheaper line of decent guitars at a more affordable price. I'm thinking Martin, Taylor, etc.

I'd be interested in a decent $800 version of this guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8om4WoDRA

This kind of things always end on an "you get what you pay for" note when it comes to guitars.
I did the same thing a while back and tried to build my own strat with a friend. Always the same conclusion eventually

There are fakes and clones, IMO the difference is significant.
Chibsons have a bad rep, cheap Harley Bentons are well liked.

To further complicate things: I own 2 Chapman guitars (+/- €750 each) whose looks are clearly based upon Kiesel guitars.

Return to “Guitars”