One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IV! wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm Interesting case... I didn't like HY-Poly Free itself, but this month broke all records for the number of tracks I liked from a musical point of view...
Agreed - if not ”all records”, but unusual many 5s’ by my usual distribution, anyway.

I Voted!

Lots of great tracks! The depth and diversity of talent on display is amazing...
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

v
o
t
e
d
(also, if anyone wants constructive feedback, feel free to PM me)

voted

Voted!

Something strange happened: I'd swear I had left comments on all tracks earlier - but half of them seem to be missing now. I suppose it might be some sort of Soundcloud cache issue on my end... or presenility. Whatever it is, it's quite annoying - and I'm sorry if you didn't get my feedback.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Voted !

I have voted, too! 8)

...and I almost hope that soundcloud sort of kills half of my comments, hahaha... I just can't do the whole "WOW, NICE" thing on everything, especially when it could confuse some of the poor victims of such compliments, thinking they'd have arrived at their goal early, or so. I just don't think it helps at all. I know, motivating is a wonderful thing and one should do the whole positive reinforcement spiel, for it does really help. BUT if there is no actual information attached, it's literally harmful, I believe. Some of us have probably only just begun to make music or just do it from time to time with half a heart or so, but double the wishes, I don't know. But the will alone is wonderful and should find some support, I think. Now, many of those tracks this round really, really struggled and can't hope to hit a high placement, but their tracks are littered with praises... I think, that's a little unfair to them and hope they won't be too disappointed.

Anyway, if some of my comments survive the soundcloud random sweep cleaning and rub anyone the wrong way, please, don't hesitate to talk to me! I love exchanging thoughts on music and I truly enjoy to help, if I can. Please, don't be mad at me, if my comments came across harshly...some are, I know. I don't "cut and run", but am here, in case you do not feel like ripping my head off. :scared: :hug:

Taron wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:57 pm I have voted, too! 8)

...and I almost hope that soundcloud sort of kills half of my comments, hahaha... I just can't do the whole "WOW, NICE" thing on everything, especially when it could confuse some of the poor victims of such compliments, thinking they'd have arrived at their goal early, or so. I just don't think it helps at all. I know, motivating is a wonderful thing and one should do the whole positive reinforcement spiel, for it does really help. BUT if there is no actual information attached, it's literally harmful, I believe. Some of us have probably only just begun to make music or just do it from time to time with half a heart or so, but double the wishes, I don't know. But the will alone is wonderful and should find some support, I think. Now, many of those tracks this round really, really struggled and can't hope to hit a high placement, but their tracks are littered with praises... I think, that's a little unfair to them and hope they won't be too disappointed.

Anyway, if some of my comments survive the soundcloud random sweep cleaning and rub anyone the wrong way, please, don't hesitate to talk to me! I love exchanging thoughts on music and I truly enjoy to help, if I can. Please, don't be mad at me, if my comments came across harshly...some are, I know. I don't "cut and run", but am here, in case you do not feel like ripping my head off. :scared: :hug:
I completely agree with you on this! On the one hand, comments like " It's cool!" I leave with mixed feelings (which is nice!/what exactly did he mean?), like I show my track to my relatives, and they always praise it, though... :? On the other hand, I also feel guilty for making brief comments. Either I have thoughts on this, or... I will listen again and thoughts will appear! :lol: The best option is to leave comments as soon as the track appears; when there are already a lot of them, it is difficult to switch.

... I'm sorry that you didn't comment in Odin's month!..

I've missed so many OSCs by now...but such is life. :shrug:
Thanks, IV! :tu:

The problem is you don't actually know what kind of comments people want. Some actually don't want to hear anything critical and will actually get angry if you're critical. I personally don't want vapid stuff.

...and then I also suspect some people's opinion of your song is affected by the comments others have left. So if you say something critical as soon as they post you may actually hurt their score so... I don't know. I'm finding myself commenting less.

I know what you mean, but what the hell is this about, really, when you relax, take a deep breath and then think about it again. It's not like it's about a million dollar price or a record deal and even if it was, should anybody want this based on some idiotic voting campaign or based on your music being honestly well received? (YES, I DO, gimme the million dollars, please!!! :lol: ...bad example.) Do people think an excellent song will get not recognized as an excellent song, because somebody dared to give some bad advice? Or a mediocre track will get suddenly favored, because you only find praises in the comme...n...t..well, yes, we are in such a foolish world, where this might happen, but at the end the song will be mediocre no matter what, and some talented musician will have lost his chance to improve enough so that anyone outside of the osc voting procedure will enjoy it.
BUT, but, but... we are not there yet with our world, I'm afraid, and childishness still keeps the challenged minds small and detached from their soul. It takes every single one of us to rise out of the folly and wise up. 8) WE CAN DO IT! :hyper:

AND WE WILL DO IT! ...someday :hihi:

For me, everything is simple - I don't consider myself professional enough to criticize tracks of more skilled musicians and sound designers (honestly, I'm just a layman in the latter). Maybe 2-3 more of my tracks around the tenth position, and... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, Photonic's result in the month of Odin II is indicative. If a person does something head and shoulders above the rest, it will just be recognized! He can afford any comments on other tracks, although I think most of us soften comments for fear of misinterpretation than for fear of their place in the rankings (I feel there will be an incorrect translation here again). Indeed, we are all different and react differently... :bang: :nutter: :wheee: :hug:

I always strive for this result - an absolutely perfect track and, to be honest, my self-criticism is so great that all lashes seem to me soft stroking, so do not hesitate to hit! :lol: I'm serious!

Yeah, leaving constructive, but kind, feedback almost feels like a challenge in its own right.

I'd certainly welcome strong opinions and spirited debate on my own work - my fragile musical ego notwithstanding (I can't believe you let me get away with all my super-tinny wishy-wash snares before I upgraded my monitoring! :lol: )

But I know I've softened my tone a little on other people's tracks after stepping a bit too hard on a few toes, receiving some rather terse and passive-aggressive "thank you but no thank you's!"

I'm like Randy Newman: I Want Everyone to Like Me!
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thing is, and allow me that impulse, I seriously love you all and love what we're doing. I'm sorry for those, who are wrapped so tightly into their own world, they transform any incoming signal into a dismorphic self-reflection, assuming that they can't be loved or even properly appreciated. Sure, they can make me angry and frustrate me at times, but at the end we are meant to figure this whole thing out together and by default we're on the same highway that is music. It's got on-ramps and off-ramps, but when you're on it...well...that is your destination.

Taron wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm I'm sorry for those, who are wrapped so tightly into their own world, they transform any incoming signal into a dismorphic self-reflection, assuming that they can't be loved or even properly appreciated.
I kind of get it. We feel misunderstood - but in reality we're simply not quite there yet.

I've recorded, and subsequently auto-tuned, enough amateur vocalists to know that self-deceit is strong in music. I tell them in no uncertain terms that they're auto-tuned, but they want to buy into the illusion - and so they do. And then they get themselves into all kinds of trouble when they commit to live engagements well beyond their abilities.

I recognize this in myself as well - when I've spent countless hours working on a new track, it's sometimes hard to step back and listen objectively; yes, partly because I'm overfamiliar with the piece, but also because I have created some kind of illusion about my own delightful brilliance along the way - "the reference track is so thin! I'm setting a new standard here - why don't everyone mix their tracks like I do??" (Answer: Because yours is a messy piece of low-mid-range mud, you moron! Bruce Swedien will always be a hundred times the mixer you are.)

In OSC, I fear we often submit our work in this frame of mind: Fresh off the DAW with a somewhat inflated opinion of our own opuses - and then we might not always be ready to face the truth!

Return to “Instruments”