VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3rd Remake using InSIDious Plugin
Turrican Title Theme
original title: Escape
Written by Vince DiCola for the movie Transformer in 1986
In 1990 Ramiro Vaca makes a great remake of this song for Turrican, one of the most beautiful game ever made for Commodore 64.

https://youtu.be/nC3gIIT9Pkg

I can't tell if this has been addressed yet in this thread so I'll just go ahead and ask:
Why was this developed in Reaktor rather than made as a "standalone" or "native" VST? (Not sure if those are the correct terms...)
Is it a matter of the developer lacking the necessary coding skills? Or perhaps in order to ease cross-platform compatibility? Or is there some sort of marketing or bushiness motivation?

I guess you simply don't know that all this is based on the brilliant reaktor ensemble from mike clarke you can freely download from NI user library since 2015.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

NAD wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm I can't tell if this has been addressed yet in this thread so I'll just go ahead and ask:
Why was this developed in Reaktor rather than made as a "standalone" or "native" VST? (Not sure if those are the correct terms...)
Is it a matter of the developer lacking the necessary coding skills? Or perhaps in order to ease cross-platform compatibility? Or is there some sort of marketing or bushiness motivation?
I think you might have the wrong idea about what Reaktor is. Although it has a high-level collection of modules that make it easy to do certain things, it also has a lower "core" level that is a complete DSP environment, down to the sample and system clock level. For various operations, programming Reaktor down at the core level is often a lot more difficult than doing it in C++.

So why use Reaktor? I've been programming audio systems, games and game engines for over 20 years and I know from vast experience not to re-invent the wheel. I originally started to make inSIDious because there were no good SID VST emulations around. Everything available sounds/sounded bad, lacked half of the SID features, or was bug-ridden. The attempts at the 6581 filter were just embarrassing. So I wanted to make a proper one for me to replace my awkward SID hardware. At first, I just thought I would put a VST wrapper around reSID, but then I'd have to make a GUI for it, which would mean coding a bitmap GUI system, probably with support for menus, animated displays, selection boxes, and whatever else would be needed. And then I'd have to deal with all of the VST and MIDI nonsense, automation, dealing with the input and output connections, handling presets and fxp files. Doing it myself would also increase the testing time 10-fold because not only would I have to deal with the inSIDious emulation itself, I'd have potential bugs in the entire system. And if I did ever decide to release it commercially that would have been a world of pain because tons of issues would come up in DAWs I'd never used, there'd be requests for other plugin formats, the GUI would probably have issues on other computers, I'd have to go and buy a Mac to support the Mac and cry everytime I was forced to open XCode, all the usual horrible stuff you have to contend with when you release something to a commercial standard.

I wanted results. I didn't want to spend weeks just getting it to a point where I could play a square wave. And so I started making it in Reaktor instead. Reaktor gave me a very mature tried-and-tested audio engine, a drag-and-drop GUI system, pre-existing audio components, compatibility with VST, AU, AAX, can run as a standalone app, has automation and snapshots built in, MIDI CC support on all controls, the ability to not have to recompile after every minor change, graphical debugging, and loads more stuff like that.

The original Insidious 6581 was mostly created using the high-level Reaktor modules, but over time the emulation got better and that wasn't enough to handle some of the more esoteric features, so I started replacing bits with Core Cells. For this inSIDious release, I went back to the drawing board and wrote almost the entire thing from scratch with the emulation core being completely low-level.

Does Reaktor sometimes make me want to tear my hair out because of something that would take 4 lines of code in C++? Absolutely. Would I use Reaktor for my next project? Absolutely. It just lets you get on with doing audio instead of having to deal with all of the horrible stuff. The bigger question is why wouldn't someone use Reaktor? For me, it's one of the greatest pieces of audio software ever conceived.
Last edited by fromwithin on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

<I really have to stop pressing Quote instead of Edit. And KVR needs a delete last post function>
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

4th Remake using InSIDious Plugin
Wastelands Loader
A real masterpiece composed by the great Ben Daglish in 1987 for the game The Last Ninja... Amazing!!
https://youtu.be/lNNWJznN7Tg

5ft (and last, for the moment) remake using Insidious Plugin.
Matt Gray wrote this iconic song for the game The Last Ninja 2, published by System 3 in 1988.
Enjoy :)
https://youtu.be/nsrDJQ0xDHk

Hi all,

Thanks first to everyone involved in this project (author, composers, etc.) I'm truly astounded by the results.

Now, for my question: has anyone managed to use this from linux? I have used the free version through wine and it seems to work without issues, as Native Access/Reaktor Player run under Wine. However, the Pulse downloader does not, so I'm at the moment trying workarounds via virtual machine with a free Pulse module.

Obviously, having confirmation beforehand that it can be done would be great before parting with the money ;-)

alejandor wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:27 pm Hi all,

Thanks first to everyone involved in this project (author, composers, etc.) I'm truly astounded by the results.

Now, for my question: has anyone managed to use this from linux? I have used the free version through wine and it seems to work without issues, as Native Access/Reaktor Player run under Wine. However, the Pulse downloader does not, so I'm at the moment trying workarounds via virtual machine with a free Pulse module.

Obviously, having confirmation beforehand that it can be done would be great before parting with the money ;-)
Pulse works with Linux. Email hello@pulsedownloader.com for the new Linux version
http://www.VSTBuzz.com - Up to 99% off one sample library or plugin every single week!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
vstbuzz wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm Pulse works with Linux. Email hello@pulsedownloader.com (mailto:hello@pulsedownloader.com) for the new Linux version
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll do.

Return to “Instruments”