Headphones that aren't crap ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have two pairs that I use quite often for long periods of time without any ill effects. The first are open backed - AKG K712 and the second are closed backed - Neumann NDH20. I do tend to lean towards the NDH20s when coupled with Sonarworks Reference 4 with the mixes translating very well to the main monitors.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

Just got some AKG 702s and they're very clear and comfortable.

Problem is that now I can hear what my tracks really sound like.

Beautiful spatious and even sound AKG K612... lower priced than K712 just mentioned above

A word on Beyerdynamic DT770s.
They REALLY overhype the low end.
So if you really like to pump up the bass, they might help keep you from destroying your mixes.
But if you don't lean towards overmixing your low end, you will probably find your bass is anemic when playing your mixes back on other systems.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 pm A word on Beyerdynamic DT770s.
They REALLY overhype the low end.
So if you really like to pump up the bass, they might help keep you from destroying your mixes.
But if you don't lean towards overmixing your low end, you will probably find your bass is anemic when playing your mixes back on other systems.
Absolutely. I have the DT 880's and tried a pair of 770's because I needed the additional noise isolation. I figured they would be very similar since they are basically the same headphone, just with a closed back instead of "semi-open". However the 770's sound completely different, especially below ~250 Hz. They sound incredibly boomy compared to the 880s or most other headphones I've tried. They also have less presence in the mid-range, and slightly less prominent highs (some would say they're less sibilant).

If you've only ever mixed on the 770's, it's fine, because you're familiar with their response, what reference tracks sound like on them, and how mixes done on them translate to other systems. However for me the 770's were unusable.

Audio Technica FTW

Under the $100 mark?
I would go for the Audio Technika ATH-M40x.
I was looking for a decent pair of cans to listen to music and podcasts back in April and I got those. They're a bit big but the sound is really nice.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

hotmitts wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:25 pm The bane of my musical life so far has been shite headphones - especially the really uncomfortable ones physically that you just can't wear for long. Does anyone have any recommendations for comfy 'phones - say, under the $100 mark (or so ?)
Just curious... 7 weeks & 60 recommendations further.

What did you buy? Did you even buy some cans that aren't crap?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

For $100 the Allessandro MS1's are the best that money can buy - they're built with grado components:
http://alessandro-products.com/headphones-2/

Plus free shipping worldwide from what I recall.

M40X is also nice.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beyerdynamic DT-1990 PRO i can recommend

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”