Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Yay! Fingers crossed you can find the cause :)

discoDSP wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am Kinda. Finally managed to reproduce it with some similar steps and record the video using Reaper and VST3 version.
That's great news! I really like OB-Xd but the randomness of this issue was driving me a little batty.

Also, George, please, please, please! Please make the MIDI mapping global! Or offer an option in the settings to lock the MIDI Map. Right now the behavior seems inconsistent. Sometimes I'll change a program and the map will disappear. Not sure if that's intentional.

It should probably be optional - both stored in plugin's data chunk and externally. You wouldn't want to change your MIDI mapping one day and then projects using the old MIDI map (and perhaps also having some recorded MIDI CC movements) wouldn't quite work well then.

I'd like to see the following things coming up:

1. Interpolate the Multi knob in 24dB mode so that it doesn't click
2. Change the Keytrack button to a knob (the host automatable parameter is continuous from 0...1 and OB-Xd DOES respond to that)
3. Expose most hidden parameters on the GUI so that we get a lot more fun: the self-resonance boost in 12dB mode is GREAT, then there's PW offset for osc 2, filter env to PW (with a toggle to do it on both or on osc 2), a toggle for filter env to sweep pitch of both oscs instead of just osc 2... really great stuff.

I think - think - we just need XML string definitions for those hidden parameters added to ObxdAudioProcessorEditor::loadSkin, then skins can be tweaked to add those controls at will.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm It should probably be optional - both stored in plugin's data chunk and externally. You wouldn't want to change your MIDI mapping one day and then projects using the old MIDI map (and perhaps also having some recorded MIDI CC movements) wouldn't quite work well then.
I'm fine with Global or optional. Looking at other devs, U-he, Synapse and quite a few others just make it global. I think the assumption there is you'll create the assignment once and not change it. Works for them. Works for me. If you're going to change your MIDI assignments mid-project, or reopen old ones, you could just copy/paste CC's, convert them to automation in your DAW, or go back to your old mapping for whatever you need to do. Not the worst thing in the world for that atypical use case. This approach has the benefit of being simplest: there's only ever one active MIDI map. No changing parameters. Very user friendly (unless you want your map changing at the preset level, which I think is atypical).

TAL does the thing where the map can change, but they have a "Lock" button for the map that allows the current map to remain in effect following program changes in the plugin browser. Using your DAW to change presets effectively negates the lock, which isn't ideal, but this approach allows for some flexibility and would probably be the easiest for George to implement into the current-state of OB-Xd without breaking anything or being too unfamiliar.

Either would work for me.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm 3. Expose most hidden parameters on the GUI so that we get a lot more fun: the self-resonance boost in 12dB mode is GREAT, then there's PW offset for osc 2, filter env to PW (with a toggle to do it on both or on osc 2), a toggle for filter env to sweep pitch of both oscs instead of just osc 2... really great stuff.
I'd love to see:

4. Plugin header for the Menu functions with Bank name, Preset Name, Next/Previous preset buttons, ability to create a new bank.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:12 pm
I'd love to see:

4. Plugin header for the Menu functions with Bank name, Preset Name, Next/Previous preset buttons, ability to create a new bank.
^this^ menu diving for banks and presets is a pain in the hoop.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm I'd like to see the following things coming up:

1. Interpolate the Multi knob in 24dB mode so that it doesn't click
2. Change the Keytrack button to a knob (the host automatable parameter is continuous from 0...1 and OB-Xd DOES respond to that)
3. Expose most hidden parameters on the GUI so that we get a lot more fun: the self-resonance boost in 12dB mode is GREAT, then there's PW offset for osc 2, filter env to PW (with a toggle to do it on both or on osc 2), a toggle for filter env to sweep pitch of both oscs instead of just osc 2... really great stuff.

I think - think - we just need XML string definitions for those hidden parameters added to ObxdAudioProcessorEditor::loadSkin, then skins can be tweaked to add those controls at will.
Ok, so first off, hi y’all :) I’d be the person behind the new skin. But to cut to the chase here, I think all those suggestions are great and I could look into sketching them out, if you’d like. (Ultimately, though, it’s up to George whether those feats can be implemented.)

Furthermore, I could also look into creating one more new theme (mainly aimed at those who don’t like the dark approach) if there’s enough interest. Maybe for the next release.

And just to celebrate the 2.0 release, here’s a fun little render:
OBXd20_PromoPic3.jpg

Cheers,
Ilkka
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's super cool, man!

But I do think that the black on black needs a little bit more contrast. For example, I opened your theme's background image in Photoshop, selected everything except wood ends, and then adjusted saturation by +33 and lightness by +3. Instantly better contrast IMO (while still being dark enough)!

BTW here's the full list of hidden parameters and what they do:

PW Offset (unipolar knob) - offsets the Osc 2 pulsewidth using PW knob as a baseline value.
PW Env (unipolar knob) - amount of Filter Envelope applied to Osc 2 pulsewidth.
PW Env Both (button) - Filter Envelope will modulate pulsewidth of both oscillators (when enabled) instead of just Osc 2 (when disabled).
FEnv Invert (button) - inverts the Filter Envelope output (for everything it modulates).
Self-Osc Push (button) - when filter is in 12dB mode, boosts the resonance so that it's more pronounced.
Level Dif (knob) - some sort of volume compensation in the filter, it's quite subtle. It needs a better name.

Economy Mode (button) - this shouldn't be exposed to GUI, it's basically enabled by default, if it's disabled, CPU usage rises quite a lot (with no matching change/improvement in sound). I wonder if this was some sort of debug mode or something.

Oh, and as mentioned before, filter keytracking works as a continuous parameter so there should be no problems in using a knob for it instead of a button. It just needs a separate definition in the XML for that - then on the GUI you would use either a button or a knob, but never both simultaneously.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:08 pm That's super cool, man!

But I do think that the black on black needs a little bit more contrast. For example, I opened your theme's background image in Photoshop, selected everything except wood ends, and then adjusted saturation by +33 and lightness by +3. Instantly better contrast IMO (while still being dark enough)!
Yeah, I’ll look into that, for sure.

What I think this synth really could use is a topbar of some kind, with a field/display for the current patch and the current bank and some sort of arrows or +/- dials for browsing through them. The same bar could then also accommodate the menu icon (and possibly other stuff too) in which case it could be removed from the actual GUI.

As for the hidden functions, they could either reside in the top bar under some menu or be placed on the actual GUI. Everything depends on everything - and it’s not my call to make - but if all this gets the green light, I could then make some further sketches.

What I think this synth really could use is a topbar of some kind, with a field/display for the current patch and the current bank and some sort of arrows or +/- dials for browsing through them. The same bar could then also accommodate the menu icon (and possibly other stuff too) in which case it could be removed from the actual GUI.
+1 for that :tu:
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Faceless_79 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:19 pm Furthermore, I could also look into creating one more new theme (mainly aimed at those who don’t like the dark approach) if there’s enough interest. Maybe for the next release.
If you were interested in doing a 1.3x larger version of your existing theme, hit me up via PM and I can send you the config file I created when I modded your theme and made it larger. Would save you the effort. You'd just need to export 1.3x assets and not have to worry about repositioning all the elements (except for the voice/legato LEDs which you'd need to adjust). Might be a nice option for folks like me who like their synths a little bigger.

That render looks sick BTW. It's a really terrific theme. :tu:

Faceless_79 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:30 pmAs for the hidden functions, they could either reside in the top bar under some menu or be placed on the actual GUI. Everything depends on everything - and it’s not my call to make - but if all this gets the green light, I could then make some further sketches.
IMHO they should be close to where they matter. So, filter envelope invert should be where filter envelope is, self osc boost should be in the filter section, pulsewidth options should be in the oscillator section...

Parameter value would be nice to have.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:08 pm then adjusted saturation by +33 and lightness by +3. Instantly better contrast IMO (while still being dark enough)!
I took it even farther. You can actually see the texture and scuffs on the background. Cool. 8)

Sorry Faceless_79 I couldn't resist having a play. No offense intended. Your theme really is excellent. :tu:

OBX-d.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”