Which tone2 after firebird?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Cooker
KVRian
839 posts since 29 Jul, 2008

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Really didn't have in mind to look for another synth. but realized I've been using this freeware more than expected.

I often hit the random button more than reaching the presets, looking for something interesting for that moment. Really not into EDM but sound demo's are geared that direction. So which should I check out first?

chk071
KVRAF
25567 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Gladiator is the closest to Firebird in my opinion, sound wise.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

gaf_thit
KVRian
649 posts since 28 Sep, 2012 from Norway

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Electra 2, I think, is the one that hits broadest. Excellent synth with 4 layers.

Ranoka
KVRist
386 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Gladiator has the HCM "Harmonic-Content-Morphing" synthesis that Firebird also makes use of. Gladiator is like an expanded version of Firebird, so that would be a good place to start demoing.

Tone2 has demos of all of their synths - I have all of the demos installed. So far I got Nemesis and Rayblaster, I think they're the most unusual of their synths (plus I picked them up on sale/2nd hand).

I would really like to get Icarus2, it can create some really nice evolving organic textures, like the soundset Patchpool made for Icarus:
https://patchpool.net/icarus_elevation.html

chk071
KVRAF
25567 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Sonically, I like Electra2 the most. Coincidentally (or not ;)), it's the least "Tone2 sounding" synth for me. It's more neutral sounding.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Karma_tba
KVRian
1209 posts since 12 Aug, 2004

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm

I just wish there was a 64bit version of Firebird.

Markus Krause
KVRian
521 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 pm

I tried to compile it in 64 bit a while ago, but was not able to do a stable build. The sources were too old. So FireBird 2.1 will stay the final version.

FireBird needed to be completely rewritten.

I already have started with this and got a working prototype, but it will not longer be compatible with FireBird for technical reasons. That's why the name and plugin-ID of the synth will also change. Maybe it will be called 'Hellfire'. If you got good suggestions for the name let me know.
It will include all old FireBird patches which have been succesfuly ported, a completely new interface, VST 2.4, standalone, VST3, Mac version, 64bit, more modulation, much better filters, much better effects, reworked HCM spectras, better OSCs, 4x multicore support, Ringmod, spectral filtering, proper legato, and maybe some of the Hypersaw modes from Icarus.

The price will be $59. Over 1000 sounds will be included. It will be available in 2021.
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

Kumi_27
KVRist
399 posts since 26 Aug, 2011 from somewhere under the rainbow

Post Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 pm

Markus Krause wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Maybe it will be called 'Hellfire'. If you got good suggestions for the name let me know.
Phoenix, of course. Can't imagine a better name for it 8)

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31751 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

'Phoenix' would be a good name for a successor to Firebird

recursive one
KVRAF
5006 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Markus Krause wrote:
I tried to compile it in 64 bit a while ago, but was not able to do a stable build. The sources were too old. So FireBird 2.1 will stay the final version.

I already have started with this and got a working prototype, but it will not longer be compatible with FireBird for technical reasons. That's why the name and plugin-ID of the synth will also change. Maybe it will be called 'Hellfire'. If you got good suggestions for the name let me know.
It will include all old FireBird patches which have been succesfuly ported, a completely new interface, VST 2.4, standalone, VST3, Mac version, 64bit, more modulation, much better filters, much better effects, reworked HCM spectras, better OSCs, 4x multicore support, Ringmod, spectral filtering, proper legato, and maybe some of the Hypersaw modes from Icarus.

The price will be $59. Over 1000 sounds will be included. It will be available in 2021.
:tu: :clap:
Sounds like it's going to be a quite capable tarnce machine :) I used to like Firebird a lot until i moved to full 64 bit.

Please do include the hypersaw and also some formant/vowel filters and simple FM!

Hellfire is a nice name but Phoenix would be better imo
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

SneakyBeats
KVRist
188 posts since 29 Jun, 2020

Post Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Shame they don't do plugins anymore.

ATS
KVRAF
6863 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 am

Markus Krause wrote:

I know this will be awesome. Can't wait. :tu: :party:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
955 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future World

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 am

Markus Krause wrote:

Maan this is unbelievable,i dream about Firebird II x64 called Phoenix to be released.
Please,please,please just keep easy workflow of one page synth that Firebird have.
Amazing news :)

VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
955 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future World

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 am

May i pay in advance for first edition of Phoenix :)

SneakyBeats
KVRist
188 posts since 29 Jun, 2020

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:16 am

SneakyBeats wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 pm
aMUSEd wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Shame they don't do plugins anymore.
*edit*
Now I noticed Markus saying about the upcoming successor.. :dog: