Looking For Monitoring Headphones Built Like A Tank

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After 8 years, my Audio Technica ATH M50's, which were not exactly cheap at £125 for the pair, they really are, quite literally falling to pieces. I broke the hinge which is super easy to do a few years back and ended up resorting to using super glue to freeze that joint together permanently. Now the arm has broken so that's more superglue.. They have lasted longer than any previous headphones I've had so 8 times 365 days of the year, isn't bad, but design wise and material wise, I'd consider them cheap. Generally I've been quite happy using them for music production, music listening, watching movies and gaming. Pad durability/longevity average and comfort level not bad, expensive ear pads to replace vie Audio Technica although there are cheaper alternatives out there one can buy... Sound drivers have lasted well. If you are using them to produce music with, you will need to boost your low end of your tracks higher than what you actually hear, because your normal speakers will struggle to hear any bass at all for bass heavy music.

So that's a small review of my 8 years with the M50's... I've seen a few options I could possibly go for but thought I'd quiz those who have had gone through more than their fair share of headphones. Now whilst I have had experience with using the stadium radio mic sound monitoring headsets which clamp to your head with vice grip pressure to prevent you going deaf from music in excess of 100 dB (although very comfortable with that), as you can see in these photo's of me wearing them... they are not suited to using for music as such. So what are your suggestions ?...

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Consider Sennheiser HD25 II, industry standard for field recording and DJ. No hinge, only a pivot, but on-ear.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 am After 8 years, my Audio Technica ATH M50's, which were not exactly cheap at £125 for the pair, they really are, quite literally falling to pieces. I broke the hinge which is super easy to do a few years back and ended up resorting to using super glue to freeze that joint together permanently. Now the arm has broken so that's more superglue..
I recognize same thing with my HD280 that I had for more than 10 years. It just started to be loose pieces of plastic on the bow keeping the cups together. Still working fine but the end is near, kind of.

It's like it has a built in clock or something, it just started to fall apart. I had done nothing to them, not dropped them or anything.

Since I use them for non-mixing things, where I use HD650, time to get a new pair probably. But I do recommend HD280, more comfy than HD650 even. I use HD280 playing all synths, pianos, organ, electric guitar - anything but mixing. Even music from time to time. I have a bunch of HD201 for just monitoring while recording, where no desire for hifi, but they are crap all over - so stay away from those. And cables on HD201 are disintegrating and falling apart on several of them. But you get 4 of those for one pair HD280, so.

Well, about an hour ago and thanks to someone picking up some superglue whilst in town today, I've fixed the broken arm which whilst didn't render them completely non-functional, did make wearing them a bit uncomfortable on the left side of the head. Thankfully, the little bit of DIY I've done has fixed that issue now...:), but I did spend a few nights looking online as it's been a while since I last looked for any. I did find a nice pair with an all metal construction for £180,n although I'm not entirely sure if the brown stitched lamb skin was going to hold up longevity wise.

I did look at the soft grey padded Beyerdynamic HD range that cost around £110, but with plastic hinges, and what I've read, I'm not convinced in how durable they are in that critical area.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Considered doing a custom mod with a cheaper but robust pair of headphones with a metal headband and switching the drivers out with the ATH M50's. Not sure how effective or easy that would be though.

Betron-Bluetooth-Headphones-Performance-Microphone-Black

These are new to me, but are said to be pretty robust, although I've not seen anything about them regarding the use of them in music production.

V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone - Matte Black

So my current ATH M50's look like they have been in a war, so they ain't so pretty, but they still function as normal. The pads need replacing as they are a bit too soft now which brings a slight issue in clamp compression being higher than pads which are new. But otherwise there are some interesting options and many more headphone brands than when I last look for a set.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”