Tequesting Two notes torpedo captor opinions

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
I’m a bassist with a Win 10 Pro Tools 2019 based , well equipped project studio. Although I have all the usual sims suspects( (AmpliTube 4 with fender collections 1 and 2, all the Ampeg stuff, NI GUITAR RIG, Mark Bass Studio and a number of UAD and PA Ampegs, Friedman’s, etc, I have never even tried out an amp loader. I’m looking at picking up a basic Two notes Captor 8. Been overspending and just can’t justify the cost of a UAD OX.
I had my 1966 showman head(original) rehabbed last year. But I simply never stumbled into the world of tube amp heads to digital converters until now. I’m about to give it a shot with a two notes captor 8. I have the torpedo WoS AAX plugin and some other Lancaster and other IRs to give it a go. Any opinions, positive/ negative on this technology. I plan on setting input to off and using the WoS as my IR loader. Would really appreciate any experiences you could share. Would be an interesting option for utilizing this cool old fender head. Have a full pedalboard as well.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks,
Steve K
Please email me directly at stevenk734@aol.com
I don’t check the site that regularly, but will watch for any PMs, as well

stevenk734 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:50 am Hi folks
There, that should give you a notification. Unless KVR lets you configure not to get them for quotes, have to check...

Well, I never heard of the Torpedo Capture, but I own a Koch Loadbox now for 20 years and I love it. Simular technology, it's basically a toaster that converts the 100W of your amp to heat with a transformer providing tempered down signal as mic or line level. The Koch Loadbox also features a headphone output.

The difference between the various loadboxes I think is mainly in how truthful they mimick a speaker cabinet. And since each one (speaker & loadbox) is different, at the end it comes down to personal taste. Just checked YouTube, and I saw a video recommended of a guy rambling on and on for an hour, it was part 5, so watching 5 hours of video for the opinion of one random guy, hmmmm....

But you asked about the technology: tapping off the speaker signal of a tube amp as DI, that's simply (and imho obviously) a gift from God.

You'll pay only a third of what I paid for my loadbox (price of Koch did come down quite a bit as well), so me thinks it's more than a decent price.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi Bertkoor,
Very nice for you to respond. I’ve bought a bunch of license transfer plugins on this site and everyone has been very nice and easy to complete purchases with.

Well, a well heeled friend f mine, who is always driving me into financial ruin( well meaning, lol), got a UAD OX. After all my recent over spending, I really wanted the give this tech a try with a simple load box. No bells and whistles, just the basics. I’ll use their IR loader, which I already have and does acceptx3rd party IRS, as well. so I’m going to get a two notes captor 8. Does what load boxes do. The captor gizmo has a built in cab, which gets clean, non colored sound, goid reviews. It can be set to either bass, guitar or off. In the off position, you can then just load your IR of choice, from either their own torpedo wall of sound pkugin( the usual choice of cabs/ mics and mic placements, etc. Also takes third party IRS. I have some lancasters, others.
So, since it seems to get solid reviews and is only 260 new, a few used for about 210 plus, I’ll pick one up when I’m back to my studio in two weeks or so.
Seems Pretty straightforward. I have a support question into Two notes, but as it’ll go into either my apollo Twin hi Z or ADATTED Clarett 8 pre, I assume that since both interfaces have 48v phantom, ( which it needs) that should activate on input. I’m fully aware that , as a balanced TRS, it must come in as line level or goodbye, one good mic pre.
So, any other tips, trying Cj’s, things to optimize and keep latency down, would be appreciated. I figure the journey from guitar in to showman out Zt captor in, then t adding IR as a pro Tools insert, might be a bit of a latency journey for overdubbing ( with all the AD/DA stuff going on. So, any tips, thoughts, experiences, solutions, I’m all ears. Thanks in advance. My bass head is an “ OK” Ampeg pf-800 class D, with a great MB 2x12 cab, but not for this gadget.( I’m an old analog dog).
Ideas, quirky solutions.Send then along.
Thank you,
Steve K

Return to “Guitars”