Why Do You Create Music ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use both hardware synths and software synths.... what I use doesn't really matter though, what does matter is finishing a piece of music, which to be honest, isn't something I'm doing a lot of these days with being distracted with other creative things. These days, I really need a compelling reason to make music because creating music on it's own just isn't enough any more. I still enjoy listening to music I've made of which I've got almost 50 tracks online and some which I've not uploaded yet, so I guess there's that motivation if nothing else. Designing something, making a film and producing music for it as project is really the only thing that forces me into creating music.

In the mid 1990's after leaving high school I spent 2 years doing training / work in the arts of welding, fabrication (stick / mig) and spray painting, and all I wanted to do was go home and create music with my Amiga 1200 and Octamed Sound studio and other programs like Techno Sound Turbo lol. Ironically, 26 years ago in that same place I had fabricated and welded together a 3 foot by foot and half table / stand in which to put a keyboard on which I had got all those years ago. A Yamaha PSS 760, and today which somehow perfectly fitted a chest of drawer mirror, has provided a place to put that important cup of coffee and use as a soldering desk. It was supposed to be sprayed black but it's still in red oxide.

It's strange parallel, in how what one creates can aid you in the future musically without you really knowing it.

One might not have the aspirations to be the next musical superstar (I know I didn't as a youngster as I was too shy standing in front of an audience) but if one see's your desire and passion in something, it can lead to opening doors to new places, that you might never envisage, just by connecting the dots at the right time and the right place.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Because I've got ideas for awesome tracks.

Honestly, most of things in life I do because I want to, that is I imagine they have sense and I know how to do them. This includes my tasks at work ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I create music so I have something to perform, although working on an album of covers at the moment is proving to be loads more fun. A lot of that is down to how much easier it is when someone else has done the writing for you - there is a lot more instant gratification involved. Ironically, though, it's unlikely we'll ever perform them live.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Passes the time when there's no cricket on.

What about the Super League?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:58 am What about the Super League?
Don't mind a bit of the Rugby League actually (very big where I live in the Norf, so hard to avoid). Union I can live without - rules are stupid, and it's all a bit of a posh rah-rah thing in this country, even now it's professional.

Haven't finished a song in years.

But these days I play (in the perform sense) more music than ever so making music still keeps me happy, just not 'creating' in the sense of songs.

I really should finish a bloody tune again though, I used to get well into editing it for hours and the excitement of posting a finished track.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

i like creating things, and i like softwares that make sounds.

I was in bands as a kid, did the toilet circuit support band thing for a couple of years plus we self produced a vinyl album that sold about ten copies. When the band split up and I had a kid on the way decided to knock all that on the head though I always dabbled with music on my own and a few informal gigs in the interim usually playing a few covers with others for work Christmas parties and the like.

Had dabbled with computer music at uni - C-sound, early Cakewalk, Pro Tools - but, was always limited to MIDI and what you could squeeze out of whatever card you had installed. Got interested again when Rebirth-338 came out and realised that software instruments were becoming a thing, but still only dabbling occasionally since.

Only really spent time writing/doing music in the last couple of years when I gave up smoking and initially needed the distraction - you need something to do with your hands ;-)

All my life though I've loved playing songs on guitar and singing along. It feels like a balm and I think it's how I've kept an even keel in life always having that to lean on and that playing/singing headspace as a place to disappear into. I think it's my way of getting mental health self care.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

when i create it is mainly out of boredom... mostly mix for others and do a bit of mastering since i quit performing years ago
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

There is absolutely no music out there worth listening to - I just had to make my own. :D ;)

How sad is that!?!

lfm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am There is absolutely no music out there worth listening to - I just had to make my own. :D ;)
> This...

^ wow, so hard to please, to put it, er, mildly.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”