Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Sorry if this is answered earlier in the topic, but do you have any interest in making a VCV Rack Host version?

https://vcvrack.com/Host

Seems like a modular synth in a modular rack could be pretty wild :hyper: Though such usage might I might invoke Ratbert-like :scared: dizzy spells in my case :(
Cheers

I have thought about that a lot.
However there are priorities which come first such as analog emulation and video card processing.

Moving this to the front of the thread so people know:

Starting with the next release Fathom 3.0,
Fathom Pro will cost around $45.00, possibly less, and will be the existing product.
Fathom Vector will cost $125 and will include:
1. Intel AVX Parallel Processing
2. Metamorphic Oscillator
3. 16 Channel Modulated Digital Delay
4. All the future stuff planned such as full sampler.

Existing customers, users who have purchased Fathom Pro before the release of Vector, will get Intel AVX Parallel Processing for free as promised. They will also have the option of applying all money ever spent on Fathom and apply it to Vector if they want to move up to Vector. This includes price of Fathom Pro, All software upgrades and all sound banks ever purchased.

This will be in the form of a paypal refund after you purchase vector.

I will try to update the installer to report the refund.

Emails regarding purchases, licensing or refunds must come from the purchase email or they will not be answered. This is to protect your account from anyone claiming to be you. Bug reports can come from any email.

Your refund policy is great for existing customers who bought all kind of stuff! :tu:
(But unfortunately not for those who had to change their email address which isn't that rare, for example, when you lost your website...)

For me as new customer it's useless to buy a product like Fathom Pro if it's abandoned (even if still available) and the successor is Fathom Vector and will be much more CPU-friendly and developed further.

The most important thing for me is CPU-friendliness and usability, so I can use it in my projects. Even more instances. I have a new computer with Windows 10 and Intel CPU but it's not the most expensive on earth.

I'll definitely wait until Fathom Vector is released and then I want to buy it directly without buying Fathom Pro.

OK, thanks for responding.

Fathom Pro will not be abandon. It will continue to be an affordable entry product for people who don't want to spend for a super synth. It will continue to get all bug fixes and many new features.

Most full feature synths cost between $175 and $200 with SynthMaster being the cheapest at $125. As the years go by and Fathom continues to add feature after feature eventually it has overtaken many of the competitors in features and power. In fact many of its features do not even exist in other synths. At some point it gets a little ridiculous to be charging one quarter of the price for a much more powerful synth. So eventually we had to make the leap to Fathom Vector and the new price.

I personally would much prefer to just have one synth. It would certainly make things much easier for me. However, I think there is still value in having an impulse buy synth between $25 and $45 with all the basic features except the advanced ones.

Also, I personally don't think $125 is very much given that Fathom now has over 6 years of full time development built into it.

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:12 am Also, I personally don't think $125 is very much given that Fathom now has over 6 years of full time development built into it.
To be honest, for some people $125 isn't much, for others it is really much. Even in Germany for some people $125 is much, it's not that there are only wealthy musicians. More poor musicians than wealthy ones, I'd say. And Corona restrictions make the social and financial gap even wider. :(

What I like about Fathom Pro, are the modular approach and the many advanced features. And it seems to sound good. It even looks good and overseeable, not so complicated as Synthmaster which I own, too. But the problem is the high CPU load with many modules and oscillators activated. So I hope Fathom Vector will be better and much more CPU-friendly. Intel parallel processing might be the first step, maybe there are other possibilities to lower the CPU-load. At least I hope so.

Bad time for a feature request:

Select one module...
Select a second module with a key-combo-and click, and press
the Enter key or space-bar or an F-key (etc) and the modules
trade places in the chain.
(Woe is me if that's already possible :( :scared: )
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 am Bad time for a feature request:

Select one module...
Select a second module with a key-combo-and click, and press
the Enter key or space-bar or an F-key (etc) and the modules
trade places in the chain.
(Woe is me if that's already possible :( :scared: )
Cheers
That would be handy. Because reconnecting those smart connectors is a bit fiddly after re-ordering modules... :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I don't even think you would need the special key commands, you could just drag one unit onto another and they would switch.

One feature requested a while back which I'm going to do is to be able to drag a new filter onto an existing one and the new filter replaces the existing one and then keeps the same connections and modulations. Great way to experiment with different filters without disrupting your signal flow.

I agree with you about price which is why I'm keeping Fathom Pro as a bargain buy.

hey @FathomSynth, can you tell me when are you going to release Fathom Vector exactly?

And can you tell me exactly how does it compare to other synths (with sincerity plz) like Serum, Pigments 2, etc., specially to the synth closer in your opinion to what Fathom Vector will be. :pray:

I'm interested in supporting you buying Fathom Pro and Fathom Vector, but I will like you to be sincere.

Well, as a user, with Fathom being modular in design, I don't see a direct comparison with Pigments 2, which I have.

Both have strengths, but hard to compare apples to oranges...

@zzz00m what would Fathom be similar to? What are Fathom strengths would you say?

The sound seems to be energized, like static electricity generated by current coursing through industrial powerlines. Like an ever-so-thin sheen of white noise were on
the outputs. Like a sweetspot in the filters was omnipresent. I'd compare the sound to
Alchemy and Bazille. (sorry for interupting!)

Maybe the gui is a bit like Bitwigs grid? Easy enough to build or re-arrange presets,
a gym where one's imaginations go to work off frustrations, and then strive to achieve new levels :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:49 am The sound seems to be energized, like static electricity generated by current coursing through industrial powerlines. Like an ever-so-thin sheen of white noise were on
the outputs. Like a sweetspot in the filters was omnipresent. I'd compare the sound to
Alchemy and Bazille. (sorry for interupting!)

Maybe the gui is a bit like Bitwigs grid? Easy enough to build or re-arrange presets,
a gym where one's imaginations go to work off frustrations, and then strive to achieve new levels :hyper:
Good answer!!! :tu:

StardragonEX wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:27 am @zzz00m what would Fathom be similar to? What are Fathom strengths would you say?
I'd have to say that this synth is in a class of its own.

Have you ever worked with a rack synth, or a virtual rack synth?

Well, it's not really like that either. No skeumorphic graphics emulating the look of hardware, just functional. But unlike other regular synths, or semi modular synths, which guide you down a mostly fixed signal flow path, you can freely drag and drop and connect any available modules in any order. So the signal flow is entirely up to you. Imagination rules!

https://www.fathomsynth.com/home#/modular/

And the developer decided to not compromise on the sound quality, so he has used the highest levels of signal processing available. He wants the synth to be equal to, or better than, any synth on the market regarding sound quality.

Download the Fathom Mono version. It's free! Take a look yourself is the best way to answer if this is right for you! https://www.fathomsynth.com/download
Last edited by zzz00m on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”