Whats a good library for "disco" brass ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for a good library for disco brass, brass stabs used in pop songs.

E.g. Uptown Funk etc, and a lot of the 70s disco stuff.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

http://www.warpivmusic.com/

I did a whole disco CD using these libraries as well as some great string libraries that I got from other devs. You can hear it at my Soundcloud page under playlist Disco Everywhere

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:38 pm http://www.warpivmusic.com/

I did a whole disco CD using these libraries as well as some great string libraries that I got from other devs. You can hear it at my Soundcloud page under playlist Disco Everywhere
thanks!
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

what exactly makes a "disco" brass sound different than just a brass
sound? like the difference between a "disco" triangle and a "death metal" triangle.... i would think its the playing style, not the actual sound.
but i dunno, im no disco expert, wags is.
but, see this is where accumulating sample libraries can eat
terabytes of HDD space real quick.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm what exactly makes a "disco" brass sound different than just a brass
sound? like the difference between a "disco" triangle and a "death metal" triangle.... i would think its the playing style, not the actual sound.
but i dunno, im no disco expert, wags is.
but, see this is where accumulating sample libraries can eat
terabytes of HDD space real quick.
You're right. Libraries eat tons of hard drive space, which is why, I know, you're vehemently against them. But disco brass is different from regular brass that you would hear in a pop or rock song because of the particular articulations that disco brass uses to get that sound. You can't fake that with synths and you can't get it with libraries that don't include those articulations.

In fact, with all the strings libraries that I owned, I had to get a special one to do the disco CD that I just completed because those other libraries simply didn't have the articulations that I needed. Essentially, I'm talking about scoop up and down and falls. Warp IV trombones and trumpets, as expensive as they are, have every articulation that those instruments can make. There is nothing else out there that even comes close probably because most people don't really care about that much detail, such as yourself. But if you want to do realistic Broadway or Disco, it's not happening with a synth or even a basic sample library.

Waiting on Layzer's response that he could do an Emmy award winning Disco CD using only a paper clip and a rubber band. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 pm Waiting on Layzer's response that he could do an Emmy award winning Disco CD using only a paper clip and a rubber band. :tu:
To be fair, I doubt I could do an award winning disco CD with what I have and I have plenty.

I've always hated Disco. Not just the music but the whole polyester leisure suit lifestyle. Being an old Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin fan I found Disco irritating.

It might have to do with the fact I've always hated Brass instruments and thought they should all be melted down and made into bullets.

The Trumpet was my generation's Vuvuzela. :party:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:10 am I've always hated Disco. Not just the music but the whole polyester leisure suit lifestyle. Being an old Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin fan I found Disco irritating.

It might have to do with the fact I've always hated Brass instruments and thought they should all be melted down and made into bullets.

The Trumpet was my generation's Vuvuzela. :party:
** WARNING ** Don't listen to my disco CD.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:15 pm
In fact, with all the strings libraries that I owned, I had to get a special one to do the disco CD that I just completed because those other libraries simply didn't have the articulations that I needed.
really? i can usually get the string sound i'm after with M1 by adjusting the amp and filter ENVs, and pitch mod. if i want to emulate the breathing sound
of the string ensemble players i just use a little white noise modulated with an lfo :wink:

EastWest libraries, for example Hollywood or Pop brass aren't recommended any more?

Trumpets can sound pretty annoying, especially in Bavaria, but it can also sound sexy... :hyper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_7m4vTPng
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

layzer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:21 am
In fact, with all the strings libraries that I owned, I had to get a special one to do the disco CD that I just completed because those other libraries simply didn't have the articulations that I needed.
really? i can usually get the string sound i'm after with M1 by adjusting the amp and filter ENVs, and pitch mod. if i want to emulate the breathing sound
of the string ensemble players i just use a little white noise modulated with an lfo :wink:
Yeah, and it absolutely sounds like a live orchestra. LMAO.

You keep dreaming and living your fantasy life Layzer but you're not going to fool anybody with that into thinking they're listening to a real string section.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 pm Waiting on Layzer's response that he could do an Emmy award winning Disco CD using only a paper clip and a rubber band. :tu:
YOU are waiting on a response from me? keep waiting angel cheeks, i wouldnt throw you a life jacket if you were drowning. :dog:

layzer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:31 am
YOU are waiting on a response from me? keep waiting angel cheeks, i wouldnt throw you a life jacket if you were drowning. :dog:
Well that's just cold. :lol:

wagtunes wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 am
layzer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:21 am
Yeah, and it absolutely sounds like a live orchestra. LMAO.

You keep dreaming and living your fantasy life Layzer but you're not going to fool anybody with that into thinking they're listening to a real string section.
you know, for my music, i dont even care if it sounds like a live orchestra.
i dont need to convince anyone of anything. if it sounds good people
will listen. real or not.
i heard a cover of new orders "blue monday" by an orchestra and it sucked.

Return to “Instruments”