Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Free versions doesn't support cmd, unfortunately.

https://www.createinstall.com/help/comp ... llers.html

NSIS is the only other really free option that is capable, that I know of.

EvilDragon wrote: Free versions doesn't support cmd, unfortunately.

https://www.createinstall.com/help/comp ... llers.html
Well this sucks then.

Too bad because CreateInstall itself really aint bad.

EvilDragon wrote: NSIS is the only other really free option that is capable, that I know of.
Purely script-based too, AFAIK.

Will check it out anyhow, see if theres a visual editor available somewhere.

On linux and mac this is a built in feature - so weird that it's not on windows. But our constraints are

1. Entirely command line, unsupervised
2. Runs from the azure pipelines (so either built into the os or available as a nuget download)
3. Makes a good installer
4. Someone on the team understands it well

InnoSetup meets steps 1-3. Chuckle. But googling it looks like wix would also if we wanted a msi rather than an exe (do we?)

I'm way out of my depth here though. What we really want is an upfront prompt in innosetup which asks "do you want to install in default or portable mode"; if you choose default do what we do today; if you choose portable prompt for a directory and use that rather than the hardcoded directories. And want it to run for 32 and 64 bit installers.

NSIS supports cmdline:

https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Docs//Chapter3.html

NSIS build task for Azure:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... .nsis-task

(Just a disclaimer, I have no experience making NSIS scripts. This is just my google-fu. :D)

What about to have two versions, one with installer and other without it (aka manual installation)?.
Maybe too much work but I know that many people, specially on the Windows side of things, will be very happy with a non installer version. :wink:

Yes a non installer version would be great, although not necessary of course 8)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Having an installer reduces the possibility of PEBKAC error. :)

I see.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

baconpaul wrote: ...it looks like wix would also if we wanted a msi rather than an exe.
Ive looked into this and it looks like i might be able to work with this. I will need to check it out some more though, i.e. im not 100% sure yet.

baconpaul wrote: What we really want is an upfront prompt in innosetup which asks "do you want to install in default or portable mode"; if you choose default do what we do today; if you choose portable prompt for a directory and use that rather than the hardcoded directories. And want it to run for 32 and 64 bit installers.
The logic is no problem, i consider that the easy part. The hard part is getting it all into script form because there are a lot of conditionals involved in this case. And this is way beyond my expertise because im not at all familiar with writing Inno scripts. At any rate, in case im able to figure it all out (and i will certainly give it a try) the logic would look like this:

- Panel 1: Welcome

(Brief intro, explain diffs between System and Portable setup.)

- Panel 2: License

(Agree Yes/No)

- Panel 3: Architecture Selection

(32bit/64bit/Both)

- Panel 4: Setup Type

(Select System or Portable setup.)

- Panel 5: Set Install Path

(If setuptype=portable, let the user select a location, else skip.)

- Panel 6: Summary

(Show installation paths, Back to go back, Install to proceed.)

- Panel 7: Progress

(Show file copy process.)

- Panel 8: Finished

(Show some final notes and exit setup.)

I think we will keep on having separate 32- and 64-bit installers because this allows us to track how much is a specific bitness used based on at least number of unique downloads.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:54 am Having an installer reduces the possibility of PEBKAC error. :)
Yeah, I expected an answer similar to this, not problem EvilDragon. The purpose of my comment was really to give visibility to a group of people who like me prefer manual installations - as long as they are feasible - of audio plugins.
As you can see Halonmusic thinks that a version without an installer "would be great, although not necessary".
Maybe if other people continue to request such a version in the future you can weigh whether it is worth considering doing something about it or not because "the possibility of PEBKAC error". :wink:

Those "other people" would need to swarm in tens of thousands based on download figures we have on installers. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm Those "other people" would need to swarm in tens of thousands based on download figures we have on installers. :D
The only way to find out would be to have both options and make numbers. But if you only have one version you can't compare, right?
I don't think other developers give the two download options for no reason. :)

I don't see an awful lot of plugin developers doing that.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:54 am Having an installer reduces the possibility of PEBKAC error. :)
Sure, but a no installer version makes people like me happy because I can have Surge portable as well as REAPER. Especially if the bare DLL, and maybe a folder, is enough for the plugin to work properly.
Klanghelm recently dismissed them, royal pity... I hope they're brought back.

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”