Any news/leaks if Cubase 11 will fix high-DPI issues?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's a fun DAW, I can work around clutter and feature overkill, but lack of proper high-DPI support comparable to Bitwig, Live or Studio One is a no-go. In particular:
  • it doesn't size properly to 125, 150 or 175%; it's either 100% or 200%
  • it doesn't allow for overriding of OS scaling for plugins that don't support high-DPI, resulting in them getting blurry and sometime not working at all
Any rumours / leaks / news if this will finally be fixed in v11? If not, I might as well sell v10.5 and forget about it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Steiny is quite tight-lipped so you won't readily see their beta testers leaking info out.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:02 pm Steiny is quite tight-lipped so you won't readily see their beta testers leaking info out.
Well, I wouldn't want anyone to break their NDA :D
Music tech enthusiast

Then you won't know anything until C11 is out :D

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm Then you won't know anything until C11 is out :D
Oh, come on! How about fried of a friend whose uncle is a janitor in Steiberg's HQ? :pray:
Music tech enthusiast

I'm hoping for this too. At the top of the list for me.

I think 10 or 10.5 did something for hidpi on Mac side so maybe it will come over to Windows side for 11? We'll have to stay tuned to the thrilling conclusion. :ud:

It has taken Steinberg ages to implement high-DPI support. Even as far back as Cubase 9 some UI elements supported it, like text fields, and it gets better with each new version, but it's still not perfect. Part of the issue might be that the GUI is still built around bitmap graphics which don't scale as gracefully, especially at inbetween zoom levels.

Hi!
I see it differently, Arturia and U-he are also based on bitmaps and they do a good job!

MickMack7 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:42 pm Hi!
I see it differently, Arturia and U-he are also based on bitmaps and they do a good job!
How much memory do those bitmaps gobble up.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 pm
How much memory do those bitmaps gobble up.
Uncompressed 4K 32-bit full-screen bitmap is just below 8MB, so an awerage plugin will be much less due to smaller size, repeatable elements and probably some light compression. That's nothing.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 am It's a fun DAW, I can work around clutter and feature overkill, but lack of proper high-DPI support comparable to Bitwig, Live or Studio One is a no-go. In particular:
  • it doesn't allow for overriding of OS scaling for plugins that don't support high-DPI, resulting in them getting blurry and sometime not working at all
Any rumours / leaks / news if this will finally be fixed in v11? If not, I might as well sell v10.5 and forget about it.
It is, according to the presumably leaked C11 Beta manual.

andypryce wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 am It's a fun DAW, I can work around clutter and feature overkill, but lack of proper high-DPI support comparable to Bitwig, Live or Studio One is a no-go. In particular:
Great if true. That would be the only reason for me to keep it & upgrade :)
Music tech enthusiast

IMO Arturia has the worst GUI implementation ever. An enormous amount of HDD space is used just for GUI bitmaps and it affects loading times.
Somehow U-he doesn't have the same issues.
I really hope that Cubase 11 will not have a similar solution because it will negatively affect the performance of the entire DAW.

andypryce wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm
Do you, perchance, know where to find said leaked C11 manual??

C11 beta manual :nutter:
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”