Comfortable headphones for long use

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any recommendations for a comfortable studio headphones?
Lightweight, open back, with ear shaped cups.

I use Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (and previously ATH-AD700). No headband, only two small springy pads touch your head. Sculpted earpads, too. I use them in the studio and field recording. Can wear them all day.
They excel in high-end detail and soundstage, rather than strong bass.
Those two are discontinued, and the "x" replacements have a more bassy response, but AT has a full line of cans with this design.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 am I use Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (and previously ATH-AD700). No headband, only two small springy pads touch your head. Sculpted earpads, too. I use them in the studio and field recording. Can wear them all day.
They excel in high-end detail and soundstage, rather than strong bass.
Those two are discontinued, and the "x" replacements have a more bassy response, but AT has a full line of cans with this design.
What do you mean sculpted pads? I see those are regular round ear pads, not different from what I have now on my Xone XD53.
I'm searching for a headphone a similar shape to my Bose quietcomfort, oval or D shaped, with enough depth to "slide" the ear inside.

I personally find the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro very comfortable (after a little settling in from new): https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-880-pro.html

I've been an AKG user for a long time, and besides the sound (honest lows) I find their studio models extremely comfortable, even when worn with eyeglasses. I currently use and dearly love a pair of AKG 712 Pros, and they are light, breathing and have just the right amount of "squeeze" to stay snugly in place.

You really need to test that for yourself, recommendations are practically useless, as all our heads and ears are different and so is our definition of “comfortable”. It’s highly subjective.
No headphones, at least in a realistic price range, are deliberately made to be “uncomfortable”...
I personally am a fan of beyerdynamics and never got comfortable with AKG cans, but for other people it’s the other way round...

Logitech is the best IMO.

I have a pair of AKG 702s which were a revelation for the sound quality when I got them.

The only problem is that if I wear it for long periods, the band rubs against the top of my scalp. Wearing a hat avoids the issue.

Although I actually quite like the fact I don't want to wear them for prolonged periods - resting the ears is so important for both my ears and my mix.

I use Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”