Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

counterparty wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm I know that baconpaul updated those links the other day. Try refreshing the page with Ctrl+F5 so that it clears the cache?
Sadly it gives the same result.
Have you tried anonymous mode in the browser? Maybe you have some rogue cookie preventing the new version of the page to be shown properly.

- Mario

mabian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm
counterparty wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm I know that baconpaul updated those links the other day. Try refreshing the page with Ctrl+F5 so that it clears the cache?
Sadly it gives the same result.
Have you tried anonymous mode in the browser? Maybe you have some rogue cookie preventing the new version of the page to be shown properly.

- Mario

Yes, I gave that a go. I don't want to clutter up this thread, so I'll give it another go tomorrow and get in touch with the group if it's still not working.

Back on the main topic - the synth! - if I understand well oscillator (self)sync is already there, then kindly asking if something is planned about adding:

- Zero Delay Feedback filters
- Arpeggiator
- Additive synthesis

Thanks,
Mario

1. No hard plans on it but OB-Xd filter might be implemented at some point
2. No hard plans on that either
3. Pluck oscillator has a greater chance of appearing sooner, but additive synthesis was discussed on Slack, again nothing conclusive or set in stone

EDIT: I pushed the update to my copy of the website but no the master. Sorry! The website will be fixed in 5 minutes. Until then:

https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... NCgIJNrGYA

can you all try that link? And if it doesn't work can you post the error you see?

As to the installer: It would be easy to automate a zip. We used to do it in the nightlies. We don't want anyone ever making installers by hand on their personal machines. I suppose we could do it now that we have a portable VST3 pretty easily.
Last edited by baconpaul on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

On arpeggiator: Why wouldn't you use an external arpeggiator rather than a built in one? Just curious. I can't imagine we would do a better job with a built in arpeggiator than any of the ones kicking around.

One case is that you can tailor arpeggiator settings to a particular patch.

L-EctroBit wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm The other point that I wanted to make clear is that I am one more among many, many others who are happy that you, the Surge Team, are in charge of this magnificent virtual instrument.
Thank you for these kind words! They really are welcomed.

Let me just add that "The Surge Team" is really anyone who wants to work on the synth and have fun and be nice! We are really happy about the group that has assembled (and all the support we get from our user base too). But if you are a dev or tester or any other person who wants to contribute and join, welcome aboard!

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm One case is that you can tailor arpeggiator settings to a particular patch.
Or you want just one scene arpeggiated while the other is not...

Anyway, fair enough... time to lose myself in BlueArp (I bought Kirnu Cream ages ago but it's a failure... abandoned and not reliable):)

- Mario

You can already do the above scenario with external arps - send over MIDI channel 2 if you want to trigger only scene A, or over MIDI channel 3 if you want to trigger only scene B.

baconpaul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:40 pm As to the installer: It would be easy to automate a zip. We used to do it in the nightlies. We don't want anyone ever making installers by hand on their personal machines. I suppose we could do it now that we have a portable VST3 pretty easily.
Awesome, thanks!

What a great free and open attitude in this thread and on this product.
It almost seems Cockos forum (have you tried REAPER?) - just kidding...

- Mario

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:50 pm You can already do the above scenario with external arps - send over MIDI channel 2 if you want to trigger only scene A, or over MIDI channel 3 if you want to trigger only scene B.
Ok, RTFM, I understand :D

- Mario

baconpaul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:40 pm EDIT: I pushed the update to my copy of the website but no the master. Sorry! The website will be fixed in 5 minutes. Until then:

https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... NCgIJNrGYA

can you all try that link? And if it doesn't work can you post the error you see
Yes, that's good. Thanks! :)

mabian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:50 pmIt almost seems Cockos forum (have you tried REAPER?) - just kidding...
It ain't a joke, but baconpaul does test stuff in Reaper apart from Logic - because Reaper is also there on Linux.

mabian wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:50 pm
baconpaul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:40 pm As to the installer: It would be easy to automate a zip. We used to do it in the nightlies. We don't want anyone ever making installers by hand on their personal machines. I suppose we could do it now that we have a portable VST3 pretty easily.
Awesome, thanks!

What a great free and open attitude in this thread and on this product.
+ 1
baconpaul wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm
Let me just add that "The Surge Team" is really anyone who wants to work on the synth and have fun and be nice! We are really happy about the group that has assembled (and all the support we get from our user base too). But if you are a dev or tester or any other person who wants to contribute and join, welcome aboard!
Not a dev here but maybe I can help in another way. Let me think about it. At the moment I am trying to make a track for OSC138. It's a great opportunity to take a look to Surge's new features. :phones:

Return to “Instruments”