Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

StardragonEX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:40 pm
zzz00m wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:08 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 pm
your descriptions are way off....
When you make a statement like that, it would be more respectful, and more informative, if you stated WHY... :dog:
FathomSynth said those were in his humble opinion the best. Everyone can have a different opinion, you don't have to be like that, moreover he must be searching for a different thing because he is a developer too, not just an user, he has the technical knowledge to judge too.

I think it could help us better if you told us what are the best synths in your opinion too.

i wasnt debating the 'best' part, that's just an opinion, and we all know about them.... descriptions....

ie Dune3 = simple synth :lol:

Charlatan is a simple synth, Dune3 is far from that

etc etc....

AnX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:21 pm

To the mind of the developer of Fathom, simple could very well be a true Dune3 'description' for him. :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:29 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:21 pm

To the mind of the developer of Fathom, simple could very well be a true Dune3 'description' for him. :lol:
Appropriate answer :tu:
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

I stand corrected. Dune 3 is not simple. I just meant compared to Serum and Avenger which can take days if not weeks to play through all the options, Dune 3 on the other hand only took me a couple hours.

My descriptions were limited to one sentence and based party on my own playing of those synths, in some cases for years, and partly based on numerous reviews. Serum and Avenger, according to all the reviews I've ever read are generally considered the most extensive synths on the market now, with Avenger having slightly more power and Serum having slightly better GUI and work flow. I personally prefer Serum, though Avenger is equally impressive.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 pm I stand corrected. Dune 3 is not simple. I just meant compared to Serum and Avenger which can take days if not weeks to play through all the options
really? haven't touched avenger, but sussed out Serum in an hour, and deleted it.

the only synths I found (unnecessarily) complex were uhe ones, super geeky and not user friendly at all (and nothing like a real modular experience)

Can't understand why anyone says Dune is the best sounding synth. It is clean sounding synth.
But way too "thin" sounding to say this is the best.

SoulState wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm Can't understand why anyone says Dune is the best sounding synth. It is clean sounding synth.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

really? haven't touched avenger, but sussed out Serum in an hour, and deleted it.

the only synths I found (unnecessarily) complex were uhe ones, super geeky and not user friendly at all (and nothing like a real modular experience)

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 pm “in”

(a guy who easily makes fun of things...)

This has become in passive aggressive attacks.

@FathomSynth, maybe you should try RAPID demo, people has talked very positive about it in other threads I've made. Falcon 2 is even higher regarded, but it doesn't have a demo and I don't personally have it neither (yet at least), but I think you should try it too if you have the opportunity. Icarus 2 also has a demo and it's very good in my opinion and it has a lot to offer (but I'm a noob at synths use, so maybe I'm wrong).

Anyways I bought Fathom Complete Bundle because of it's factory presets sounds (in the Fathom Mono), the features you spoke of, and because I can use it with Serum, that I plan to buy in the near future, because I already have paid patches for it.

Keep improving Fathom, I will also get Fathom Vector in the future if it's good too. I hope you do really well.

AnX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 pm
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm My best effort at a comparison is as follows.

Currently, in my humble opinion, the very best synths on the market are as follows.

Serum, Best super synth with the most features and highest sound quality.
VPS Avenger, Slightly more features than Serum but not as elegant GUI.
Omnisphere, Best preset and sample library with very high quality sound.
Dune, Best basic synth, very simple design with the best detune algorithm.
Thorn, Best new design and revolutionary approach to sound.
uHe Diva, Best analog emulator ever created.
SynthMaster, The original super synth and still continually updated.
your descriptions are way off....
I've got to agree....way off.
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pmSerum, Best super synth with the most features and highest sound quality.
Really the "most" features? :?
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pmVPS Avenger, Slightly more features than Serum.
Slightly more ? 8 layers, full sample support, built in drum machine, per layers Arp/Seqs etc is slightly more features than a two osc synth like Serum ?
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pmDune, Best basic synth, very simple design with the best detune algorithm.
To be fair he does say Dune and not Dune 3 and did issue a retraction but D3 is far from a basic synth with very simple design.

Anyway I like Fathom and its developer a lot but I think his assessments of the competition are way off the mark. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SoulState wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm Can't understand why anyone says Dune is the best sounding synth. It is clean sounding synth.
You must not own it then as D3 is far from thin in the right hands. Does it sound like a broken chain saw which is all the rage in sound these days ? Perhaps not but thin ? No. :wink:

D3 is by far the best sounding synth I've ever owned, software or hardware. But then I'm not into the sound of broken chainsaws. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

People, please relax, I didn't say anything bad about Dune 3. It has the best detune algorithm I've heard.

I just said it was simple. It has one main page and five mini pages in the middle.

It's a basic synth with a great sound. That is accurate.

Fathom has 8 pages times 8 oscillators, over 32 filters, a page for each of 9 modulators, a page for each of 10 effects units, not including the settings and browser pages and the expanded pages for wave draw and bezier curves, plus all the middle screens and the signal flow view. And this does not include the 3.0 metamorphic oscillator which has 16 pages for one oscillator!

Comparing a basic front panel synth to Fathom on parameters is like comparing a business card to a book.

I'm not aware of any synth on the market with as large a GUI and as many parameters as Fathom except maybe Omnisphere.

I agree that Dune 3 has great sound, maybe the best with the exception of Diva.

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:16 am People, please relax, I didn't say anything bad about Dune 3. It has the best detune algorithm I've heard.

I just said it was simple. It has one main page and five mini pages in the middle.

It's a basic synth with a great sound. That is accurate.

Fathom has 8 pages times 8 oscillators, over 32 filters, a page for each of 9 modulators, a page for each of 10 effects units, not including the settings and browser pages and the expanded pages for wave draw and bezier curves, plus all the middle screens and the signal flow view. And this does not include the 3.0 metamorphic oscillator which has 16 pages for one oscillator!

Comparing a basic front panel synth to Fathom on parameters is like comparing a business card to a book.

I'm not aware of any synth on the market with as large a GUI and as many parameters as Fathom except maybe Omnisphere.

I agree that Dune 3 has great sound, maybe the best with the exception of Diva.
its all good, nothing personal, just a quibble about definitions, not quality :wink:

OK, I understand, thanks for being part of the thread.

Return to “Instruments”