Only 1 DAW & 1 xtra synth - what would you choose?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am If I had to start from scratch (there's a need for it I guess!), FL Studio and NI Komplete 12 Ultimate.

Sorry, but Komplete has always been what a go-to synth is for many.
You can't have Komplete as a 'synth'. There isn't one thing you can load up named Komplete. It's a bundle of things including multiple synths. If Komplete is allowed then I'll change my vote to

Bitwig + everything in the synth room of Andertons Music in Guildford

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Michael L wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am
dune_rave wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 am this is nonsense. Show me a producer that use only one synth. I'm waiting :) ....
Here's Jean Michel Jarre on the sense of using one synth:

"In days where you have so many products on the market... instead of having this mad quest about being scared of missing something, try to just... breathe... take a break, and think about what instruments - a plugin, a module, a polyphonic synth... whatever - where you feel a kind of empathy with... and then when you choose that, just stay focused for six months or one year only on this. Don't take anything else. Just on one element and try to express yourself because what's going to be unique is yourself.

It's not the machine. It's not the instrument. It's what you are going to do with it which has the value, and nothing else. And then instead of being fully into the trap of being an archivist of presets, where you don't know where you are, you lose your identity. The best way to create something interesting is express your identity - to develop it - and the only way to do it is to focus on one instrument, whatever it is.... Even if you're wrong in your choice, the fact that you choose is more important than anything else
."

Duh, he owns more than one but he also sees how limits make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWANrX ... u.be&t=585
hm, this guy tours with many synths on stage. also in the video there are more synths in the background.

Studio One Pro 5 and DUNE 3

Michael L wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am
dune_rave wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 am this is nonsense. Show me a producer that use only one synth. I'm waiting :) ....
Here's Jean Michel Jarre on the sense of using one synth:

"In days where you have so many products on the market... instead of having this mad quest about being scared of missing something, try to just... breathe... take a break, and think about what instruments - a plugin, a module, a polyphonic synth... whatever - where you feel a kind of empathy with... and then when you choose that, just stay focused for six months or one year only on this. Don't take anything else. Just on one element and try to express yourself because what's going to be unique is yourself.

It's not the machine. It's not the instrument. It's what you are going to do with it which has the value, and nothing else. And then instead of being fully into the trap of being an archivist of presets, where you don't know where you are, you lose your identity. The best way to create something interesting is express your identity - to develop it - and the only way to do it is to focus on one instrument, whatever it is.... Even if you're wrong in your choice, the fact that you choose is more important than anything else
."

Duh, he owns more than one but he also sees how limits make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWANrX ... u.be&t=585
JMJ is the guy who always has 20 synths he used on the album listed on the back of his record cover... not the best example I guess. :P

Not that I wouldn't see the appeal... lately, I've been thinking about restricting myself to NI Monark and PA's Oberhausen go get a bit productive for a change. Pretty sure you can already do lots with those two alone, even though they're pretty limited.

I just like JMJ’s quote. Particularly from someone with such a huge collection! But for one-synth-production you can hardly do better than One Synth Challenge....
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I like also JMJ Points of view but not necessary agree with them all! Anyway, he is sure has this mysterious French character, so not easy to deal with! His music is top though, and that what is important. I just completely disagree with him regarding DX7! I love this synth :love:

Well, he did advised the beginners to restrict themselves so that they can learn well their synths, but I can't say many of us here are beginners really! The problems of restricting comes to mind when we are not producing enough or not convinced of what we are producing.

Anyway, I think it doesn't matter if we restrict ourselves or not. The thing is we need to put a plan (or idea), then pick the synths for the tracks we want to be there and then stick to the plan. So, it is not really a matter of how many synths we have, It is a matter of how strict we are to stick to the plan! Well, at least in my case :hihi:

what I don't have a problem with is the paralysis of choices, but I don't really want to look at a long list with many redundancies.
I used almost no synth but Absynth for years which does promote a certain discipline, going for things that have no real model in the factory library such as a good analog fat bass, or something really raw. Somewhat time-consuming but I enjoyed it.

Dune 1:) Still love it more than Dune 2 and Dune 3 due to its simplicity and fewer buttons, etc.

energyXT2.5/3, FB Mono/Fury
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

dasen wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am Dune 1:) Still love it more than Dune 2 and Dune 3 due to its simplicity and fewer buttons, etc.
It also looks beautiful compared to later versions.

I would use my main daw, Cubase Pro 10.5, but I would be fine either with Reason or Logic (as long as it’s a good daw and I know how to operate it...).

The real question is the third party synth. Maybe I’d get Diva, maybe Halion, maybe a Minimoog emulation... or maybe the Korg M1 vst, depending on what I’d like to write...
But those daws include so much tools that I’d probably stick to the bundled content, unless I really need a specific sound... just one third party synth is too much of a restriction for me, so I’d just stick to the daw content (there are too many good synths that I would be unable to choose... it’s worst than having a lot of tools: while I’d be kinda spoiled with choices, I’d just use what I feel at the moment, without any “problem” for leaving things unused if they don’t fit the task/goal; I just don’t like the feeling of having to “compromise” by making a choice and sacrifing something else... while I like having some constraints - at least financial constraints, because I have to work to buy thing - being too much constrained and having to make a choice completely kills my productivity... I’d be way better with just my daw and the dream if buying this or that tool...).

If I could choose hardware, I’d choose a Moog, such as my GrandMother (but I’d choose the Matriarch or the One if someone would pay for me 😜).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

FL Studio and U-he Repro 1.

FL Studio and Dune 3, I still make complete tracks with only that though I have hundreds of alternatives ... :D

I thought JMJ also using a Korg Oasys since some years, I'm not sure? And there was a time I didn't use samples, no presets and so on, but meanwhile I know, that was a big time-wasting! :D

Live Suite & rapture pro
I know it's cheating & I don't care
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Bitwig 3 and Z3TA+2.
Like the raw and big sound from Z3TA+2. Adding Bitwig for more flavor.
We come and goes anyway.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”