Your experiences with Cakewalk by Bandlab?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lfm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:22 am
jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 pm
lfm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 ammulti out VST instruments also have their own audio tracks, not only automation tracks like Cubase and StudioOne.
Sounds like you just didn’t enable multiple outputs in the VSTi slot.
But you don't get audio tracks at all - just automation tracks in arrange view, for the extra outs.
In Cakewalk you get full audiotracks for every out which can hold audio - like from freeze.

You get audio channels in mixer/console in Cubase and StudioOne - so yes you get multi out audio - but that is not quite what I meant.
In studio one when you render the instrument you decide which individual output you want to be rendered.

Talking about cakewalk, it was my first daw and I love it. But I have been using a MacBook as my only computer for the las 6 years so I was unable to keep using it.
Last edited by kurviak on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sping wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm Oh well... no way to use custom installation locations for Cakewalk and the onboard plugins...
True, but there are ways using mklink. See this thread:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... -cakewalk/
Thanks. I already found that among some other threads while Googling, but, I won't go down that route. They really should implement the basic installation options just like everyone else.

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am Thanks. I already found that among some other threads while Googling, but, I won't go down that route. They really should implement the basic installation options just like everyone else.
They should, fully agree with that.
That, and their "licencing model" is what I dislike most with it.
But it's really a nice DAW, good features and workflow.

sping wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am Thanks. I already found that among some other threads while Googling, but, I won't go down that route. They really should implement the basic installation options just like everyone else.
They should, fully agree with that.
That, and their "licencing model" is what I dislike most with it.
But it's really a nice DAW, good features and workflow.
If you have preferred 3rd-party plugins, it's really not much of a "limitation".
You don't have to install the "Add-ons".
Included plugins take up little space... and can be hidden via the Plugin Manager.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

i love it & it keeps getting better. been a Cakewalk Sonar user since 2007, and yes, there had been some buggy versions in the past (esp X1 & X2), but Cakewalk by Bandlab is the best version ever.
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

I must say when I think about my time with Cakewalk/SONAR, from Pro Audio 9 right through until part way through the SONAR Platinum era, in parallel with time spent with REAPER, up until September 2015, it reminds me of that feeling you get when you stand in dog shit.

That feeling pretty much covers my experience with Cakewalk products, and Cockos REAPER (Bonus)
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 am I must say when I think about my time with Cakewalk/SONAR, from Pro Audio 9 right through until part way through the SONAR Platinum era, in parallel with time spent with REAPER, up until September 2015, it reminds me of that feeling you get when you stand in dog shit.
That feeling pretty much covers my experience with Cakewalk products, and Cockos REAPER (Bonus)
Ok, the thread is called "Your experiences with Cakewalk by Bandlab?" And you have talked about your experiences until 2015. But Cakewalk by BandLab started with that name in 2018. So it seems that your answer is not exactly what the OP asks.

Tricky-Loops wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:36 pm
What's your experience with Cakewalk by Bandlab? Is it worth to work with it? What are the pros and cons? Should I go back to REAPER as soon as possible or dig deeper into it?
I don't know about Reaper so I can only tell you about my experience with Cakewalk by BandLab. I did not know the Sonar Platinum era or before this, so I do not have any prejudice about things from the past.

I started using this DAW in 2018 and the only thing I can tell you is that I am part of the users satisfied with the performance, workflow, stability, stock plugins, and constant updates that it receives periodically. Since I started using CbB, I felt comfortable and it seemed to me that everything was arranged intuitively. I think my productions have improved a lot since I use it.

You ask if it is worth working with CbB and my particular opinion is yes. Go forward. Only you can know if you like and fulfill your expectations in the way you work. That is something very personal. It is the best free DAW so far, but also competes with the best commercials. :)

My experiences have been nothing but good ones using CbB. I mostly make <50 track mixes. I have tons of plugins and VSTi. No issues with any. When I work with notation I use Studio One 5 only because it has more features in that area.

The only issues I have had were self made as in when I was mucking around with my Interface settings which were different from project setting CbB locked up on me. This was admittedly my fault and not the DAW software. There are always things to trip up a DAW. Recently I had similar issues in Studio One because it wasn't playing well with a plugin ( scaler). You tweak you sometimes pay :)

Though Cakewalk plugins are in a designated folder you can point to and scan 3rd party plugins anywhere you desire. The plugin scanner in CbB is one of the best out there seriously. Add a folder, scan, that's it.

I am a long time user of the program since Pro 6 or thereabouts. Lots of changes since then. The X-3 people complaining about bugs....please. It's like a broken record. Download the most recent version you big dummy :) I noticed the pic shows the default skin...there are other darker skin choices. You aren't held to that lighter blue one. Even some custom ones, just ask on the forum or look around.

Yes many changes to the way a multi VSTi loads recently. All good. Plenty of online video instruction as well. More recent additions are an arranger section. You can take song sections and rearrange them easily. Everything is drag and drop. What's not to like. It works well, it's full featured and it is free. Give it a try. Unless you have hardware or interface limitations you won't be disappointed. You can use CbB on a simple basic setup, just don't expect it to perform as well. Most average PCs with clean OS are ok.

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm Oh well... no way to use custom installation locations for Cakewalk and the onboard plugins, so, I'll pass for now. I really don't want all my audio software and plugins plastered all over my system drive when I usually have it all on my D: drive.
You can move the onboard plug-ins to wherever you want once they're installed. Just tell the Plug-in Manager where to find them. The only ones you can't move are the ProChannel ones, at least, not without tweaking the Registry. But I have all my VST2 & VST3 plug-ins in my own, custom folders, and not where Cakewalk (or Sonar, or Steinberg or any plug-in developer) puts them by default.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

They came round my house for a party, but it ended up in big fight. My experience in a nutshell.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

planetearth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm Oh well... no way to use custom installation locations for Cakewalk and the onboard plugins, so, I'll pass for now. I really don't want all my audio software and plugins plastered all over my system drive when I usually have it all on my D: drive.
You can move the onboard plug-ins to wherever you want once they're installed. Just tell the Plug-in Manager where to find them. The only ones you can't move are the ProChannel ones, at least, not without tweaking the Registry. But I have all my VST2 & VST3 plug-ins in my own, custom folders, and not where Cakewalk (or Sonar, or Steinberg or any plug-in developer) puts them by default.

Steve
Not sure how it matters where plugins are - that huge sample libraries though should be kept on a drive not written to that much. And you can usually select where samples go on sampler plugins.

Plugins take so little space, and load fast - unless samplers.

One sample library that could not be told where samples go - I used as said mklink or similar to make a junction folder, that works as a folder - but content is directed transparently to another place, another drive even.

As said, that can be done for the existing folders that hold the plugins too. c:\program files\Vstplugins you can make Vstplugins a junction. Just move that Vstplugins folder, as named, to where you want it - and in the empty space make a junction to where it is.

So if Cakewalk updates plugins - they are found as they were in original place. It's all transparent workings.

This is what I like to do as musician whose been using Cakewalk by Bandlab successfully. To offer some balance in a Cakewalk thread when "jinotsuh and THE INTRANCER" come in and pour their negativity into the thread, which they are noted for doing, is to provide examples of songs I did. The two songs below were recorded, mixed, and mastered in a bedroom using only Cakewalk by Bandlab.

https://soundcloud.com/derek_browne/reg ... uffle-in-d

https://soundcloud.com/derek_browne/suhani-raat
DB

DeBro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 am This is what I like to do as musician whose been using Cakewalk by Bandlab successfully. To offer some balance in a Cakewalk thread when "jinotsuh and THE INTRANCER" come in and pour their negativity into the thread, which they are noted for doing, is to provide examples of songs I did. The two songs below were recorded, mixed, and mastered in a bedroom using only Cakewalk by Bandlab.
The OP is asking what peoples experience was which could have been found by doing a search on KVR. I've given a full balanced review based upon my experience in previous threads with evidence of issues. The OP is really asking if it's worth the trouble in making a switch so that they don't waste their time doing so themselves....I think most people can come to their own conclusions and like to see both sides of the coin before investing time and money in something.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:55 pm They came round my house for a party, but it ended up in big fight.
If you had been more kind, it could have been the greatest party of your life! :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”