Am I being crazy here? (Presonus Studio One 5 rant ahead)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First off, I know that my experience falls 'in between the cracks' so to speak, but it's still kind of annoying, and I feel it could be better explained in the future.

I bought S1 v3 used years ago. Everything worked, and I clicked 'claim key' to get my Melodyne key. Life was perfect.

Fast forward to the release of v5. I hear about clip gain automation and Melodyne 5, so I jump in and upgrade. Try to 'claim key' for Melodyne. Nothing. Talk to PreSonus, they say that only one copy of Melodyne essentials is given, so to use my old Melodyne license from v3. I put it in. Nothing. Can't activate it. Celemony support says I never changed the Melodyne license to my name when I bought the software years ago, so they can't help me. I have no Melodyne key, and they dude is literally long gone. Haven't spoken to him in years.

I literally am using Studio One 5 Professional with NO Melodyne. This is really crappy, as I had no idea to transfer the Melodyne key back then, or that a new key was *not* provided by Presonus.

Am I crazy for thinking more clarity needed to be made in regards to one of their highlight features? I'm not even disagreeing with the logic so much as how I essentially upgraded for nothing.

Yes, it should've been made clearer but it's also pretty obvious that when you buy software 2nd hand you need to tranfer the licenses that come with it, and in case of Melodyne it's just a separate license that you need to take care of.

But also you've probably bought v3 for $100-150, compared to a full price of $350 and I'm assuming you got a lot of mileage already from Melodyne Essentials, so buying a license at $99 won't bankrupt you, just like getting upgrade from v3 to v5 probably didn't.

Support the developers of tools you use!
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

That's the thing. Nothing in the software indicates you need a celemony account. You just click 'claim key' and it works. It was obfuscated. Had I known, I'd have done it.

This has nothing to do with 'supporting' developers rather having clear parameters.

I was eligible for crossgrade pricing, so the differential point is moot.

It's more the principle of the matter. With the cost of the upgrade in addition to the melodyne license, I could've bought a full version of 5 via crossgrade and been able to sell my v3 license.

It's just a bad precedent in my opinion.

Also - I should add - I already own a copy of melodyne 2 editor, so I feel the least they could do is use the v5 upgrade I would've gotten from v5 on my purchased key.

It's all just so bonkers to me...

Bundled licenses are one of the gotchas in purchasing used software. It’s not really Presonus or Celemony’s fault. Presonus transferred the license they have on file. I’d just post in the Buy/Sell forum that you’re looking for Melodyne Essentials V5. It usually sells for very little.

jrhager84 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am That's the thing. Nothing in the software indicates you need a celemony account. You just click 'claim key' and it works. It was obfuscated. Had I known, I'd have done it.
Did they change it in the meantime? I started with StudioOne4 last year (bought directly from Presonus). And as far as I can remember, they provided me with a redeem code for Melodyne. So I have deliberately created a new Celemony account to get my license.

Crossinger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 pm
jrhager84 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am That's the thing. Nothing in the software indicates you need a celemony account. You just click 'claim key' and it works. It was obfuscated. Had I known, I'd have done it.
Did they change it in the meantime? I started with StudioOne4 last year (bought directly from Presonus). And as far as I can remember, they provided me with a redeem code for Melodyne. So I have deliberately created a new Celemony account to get my license.
Has been like this at least since version 2.

I’m selling one Melodyne Essentials V5 license for $40 if you’re interested

Crossinger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Because my life sucks, I think it's because I already had an account with the similar version of melodyne already installed and activated on the computer.

😕

I can sell a Melodyne Essentials license for $30.
I will keep one, but have more from Waveform, Acid Pro, iZotope etc.
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

Did you try contact the person you originally bought Studio One from? Maybe he has no use for Melodyne Essentials and can transfer it to your name.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I can't remember who I bought it from. It is just an unfortunate situation. Either way, I'll end up upgrading my Melodyne Editor key into a Melodyne 5 editor key, but the whole verbiage and situation just was an unfortunate mess. In the end, I thought that the upgrade came with an 'upgraded' key for Melodyne, and it didn't seem clear that it piggy-backed onto your old key.

C'est la vie, I suppose.

You can upgrade your old Melodyne Essentia key to Melodyne v5. I initially claimed my key when I got Studio One v2, and haven't received a new Melodyne key since then. Just upgraded through the Melodyne versions from my Melodyne (not PreSonus) account.

Edit: Seems the seller is in the wrong here as they never transferred the Melodyne license to you.

Yeah, and I never knew to ask. It's been years haha

The seller had probably already sold his Melodyne license before selling Studio One, like many people seem to do.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”