Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Oh it's a number of SVGs that needed tweaking in a vector editor, and then tweaking some code in skin.xml then putting that in a separate folder.

AFAIK you cannot change the font used in Surge at the moment, other than by not installing Lato then it falls back to something else.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah it's a good request, definitely one for the future. I've added it to our GitHub issue list.

Here's the skin modification: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cch8k0z8 ... n.zip/file
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: AFAIK you cannot change the font used in Surge at the moment, other than by not installing Lato then it falls back to something else.
You can do what i did and create a 'bogus' Lato by changing the font family name of a copy of Ubuntu-R to Lato. (Thats how i made Surge use Ubuntu-R in the GIF.)

There are probably tons of font editors out there, i used FontForge because its free and very powerful.

What you do is this:

- Load a copy of Ubuntu-R into FontForge
- Ignore the Warnings window, simply close it
- Click tab Element / Font Info
- Under Family Name, change Ubuntu to Lato and click OK at the bottom
- Click the File tab and select Generate Fonts
- Name the output file Lato-Regular.ttf and choose a suitable save location for it
- Click the Generate button and Yes when the errormessage about the Em-Size pops up
- Click Generate when the errormessage about Missing Points at Extrema pops up
- The file is now saved in the chosen location
(Note: The errors are inconsequential, so dont worry, the font will work fine.)

If you are not running Surge in a sandbox, delete the real Lato from Windows\Fonts, then put the bogus Lato in. Otherwise replace it in your sandboxes Windows\Fonts folder, where it should automatically take precedence over the one on the real system, if you have it there. (I.e. you need not touch it in this case.)

Run Surge and it should now use Ubuntu-R.

With that level of hacking skills you should join us as developer :D

Just my way of workarounding.

If you dont have a hammer, use a pipe.

Very good synth. Keep up the good work!

Hello, and sorry in advance for the silly question.

I downloaded Surge 1.7.1 last night and ran the installer (64bit windows).
Installation proceeded without asking for my VST folder.

After installation I looked for the .dll in the Surge folder of ProgramData but I cannot find it. Also checked the default steinberg/VSTplugins folder, but nothing there either.

So, where does the installer place the .dll?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi. Thanks to the Surge team for keeping this great synth alive & ticking!

Quick question. On the new version, 1.71 for Windows, I'm trying to find the "snap" option on the Morph slider for the oscillator to move through the wavetables 1 at a time. Is that in a different place or has it been removed? It doesn't show up when I right click on the morph slider.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

stimresp wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am So, where does the installer place the .dll?

There's no DLL with 1.7.0 onwards, VST2 is not going to be distributed anymore. VST3 is installed where VST3 plugins are supposed to be, C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Saukar30 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:25 pm Hi. Thanks to the Surge team for keeping this great synth alive & ticking!

Quick question. On the new version, 1.71 for Windows, I'm trying to find the "snap" option on the Morph slider for the oscillator to move through the wavetables 1 at a time. Is that in a different place or has it been removed? It doesn't show up when I right click on the morph slider.
Yes, removed because holding Ctrl does that now on every parameter.

Thanks ED!

Hopefully, in the future someone on the team can update the manual. It still contains the snap info.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:31 pm
stimresp wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am So, where does the installer place the .dll?

There's no DLL with 1.7.0 onwards, VST2 is not going to be distributed anymore. VST3 is installed where VST3 plugins are supposed to be, C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.
Ahhh OK. Thanks! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”