Can anyone share their experience with kick 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kick 2 KickR

Has anyone tried the kick 2 synth? It’s on sale and I’m wondering if it’s worth buying. Can you make a wide variety of kick sounds or do they all sound the same? I’m really interested in kicks similar to the ones Oliver and Madeon uses, which are usually pretty short and clicky. The transient is what matters most to me since the sub is pretty easy to synthesize on any synth. Would you recommend kick 2 for this?

Yes, I think default preset is in that ballpark already. Also, majority of folks aren't making their own clicks, but using Vengeance and sampling, layering and whatever, but still, Kick 2 gives you option to blend few different clicks and noises on top of everything, it's one of the most capable kick synths out there, if you are really into fine tuning your kicks, go for it.

Personally most of the times end up using good knock/click sample with Guda Audio KickR, developer made that thing like huge sweet spot and I can get what I need in mater of seconds, that might not be the case for majority of people, but it works for me.

I'm mostly using samples for beats, because I have thousands good kits, but I also have Kick2 with many expansions and it only sounds the same, if you just do the same. Kick2 gives you absolute freedom to form your kicks and layer it with own samples. And it has the best "transpose" feature I know, to get a kick harmonic. I'm just to lazy to program them, because I have enough samples. :D

I'm not a kick drum expert, but I own Kick 2 and I think it's great for what it does. I will say that I recently bought SubLab, as I find that a little better suited for 808 basslines - not sure if that matters to you or not. Kick 2 can do that, but the presets for 808s are better in SubLab. SL has more basic waveforms. You can choose a saw waveform in K2 and attenuate the harmonics, but I feel like SL is much better for dirtier 808s. Plus SL has the pychoacoustic feature, which is basically adding keytracked harmonics above the fundamental, if the goal is a cleaner 808 that can still be heard on smaller speakers.

I think both K2 and SL are great at what they do and both worth the price.

That's interesting! Some months ago I bought the plugin "Subdivine" on sale, especially for 808 sub basses, but I still don't used it, because I mostly program sub basses with synths, is SubLab better for that?

I’m about to get BigKick from Plug-in Boutique.
I’ve seen some videos and great reviews.
I use Kick 2 but this one intrigues me and looks like it’s on sale and loads of expansions available.

Some details in 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_GxVcEocM
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

nobody needs a kick synth if they have a percussion sampler like the now free, Poise.
but i would pay top dollar for a triangle synth.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pm nobody needs a kick synth if they have a percussion sampler like the now free, Poise.
but i would pay top dollar for a triangle synth.
Needs? I WANT! :D

Kick 2 isn't much use to anyone except sound designers who want to sell kick sample packs.
If you create 'music' you can have just as much control over your samples as you can with a kick synth...you can adjust attack/decay, pitch, distortion, etc, etc. A lot of producers layer kicks anyway, you got more control in the mixing stage if you have the option to blend click kick with low kick as opposed to being stuck with 1 track.
808 sub bass is the same. Any synth can produce a sine wave.

Kinh wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:01 am Kick 2 isn't much use to anyone except sound designers who want to sell kick sample packs.
Sorry, but this is bollocks!!! :dog:
If you create 'music' you can have just as much control over your samples as you can with a kick synth...you can adjust attack/decay, pitch, distortion, etc, etc. A lot of producers layer kicks anyway, you got more control in the mixing stage if you have the option to blend click kick with low kick as opposed to being stuck with 1 track.
808 sub bass is the same. Any synth can produce a sine wave.
Of course there are many different ways to design a kick but you know what??
Kick 2 takes all these methods and put them nicely into a mangeable interface with perfect tuned features and perfect interaction ...
Everything you do is immediately reflected visually which makes phase alignment of seperate layers a breeze, besides being able to finetune every aspect and every nano second of your kick in a way which was hardly possible before with that ease...

Kick 2 is an absolutely master piece when it comes to kick creation no matter if you use samples, the internal synthesis or a mix of them...

For me the only downside of Kick 2 is the damn delay when opening the GUI but at the very end that´s hardly a showstopper :tu:

Biscotto wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:01 pm I’m about to get BigKick from Plug-in Boutique.
I use Kick 2 but this one intrigues me and looks like it’s on sale and loads of expansions available.
I dont use BigKick anymore since i've got Kick2. I havent found a kick generator that offers the same flexibilty and workflow.

D16 Punchbox might be a worth a look. The tone shaping capabilities are not as flexible as in Kick2 but it has a great basic sound and some nice additional effects. The sine generator can generate a really fat lowend :shock: For me, they complement each other well (although i prefer Kick2).

audiot wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:05 pm
Biscotto wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:01 pm I’m about to get BigKick from Plug-in Boutique.
I dont use BigKick anymore since i've got Kick2. I havent found a kick generator that offers the same flexibilty and workflow.

D16 Punchbox might be a worth a look. The tone shaping capabilities are not as flexible as in Kick2 but it has a great basic sound and some nice additional effects. The sine generator can generate a really fat lowend :shock: For me, they complement each other well (although i prefer Kick2).
I own Punchbox as well.
I’m evaluating BigKick ATM and it has a quickness to it and for $36.... I can definitely add it to the rest of the kickers.
No C/R either. Great

I own Kick 2 and find it a great plugin.
It comes also with a lot of great presets ready to go.

But for anyone interested in a dedicated kick synth I would advice to have a look at the quite new "psylab" from fx23
https://fx23.net/

It is a plugin with a quite interesting approach to kick design because it has also a synth for bass, meaning that you can control each element of Bass and Kick directly in one plugin.
It has also a great amount of tweakable parameters that can be automated.

I own Kick 2 as well as Punchbox which are with no doubts absolutely two really great Plugins but I believe Psylab add something more (don't ask me what but try for yourself ;-))
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Trancit wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:53 am
Kick 2 isn't much use to anyone except sound designers who want to sell kick sample packs.
Sorry, but this is bollocks!!! :dog:

Dont know of any producers who prefer to use a synth to create their beat sounds. They all use samples.

Kinh wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am Dont know of any producers who prefer to use a synth to create their beat sounds. They all use samples.
:roll: See the artist recommendations and stop talking bs ...

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 2-Drumazon

If you like the sound of drum synths or if they work within your genre is another question.

Return to “Instruments”