Focusrite 2i2 vs. FiiO K3

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I created this thread because this comparison is nowhere to be found on the internet. I believe that there are more people having the Focusrite and thinking about buying an entry-level headphone amp/dac and would like to know more information.

Now to my question:
I own Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen + AKG K712 pro headphones. I have my headphone volume knob set to 40-60% most of the times so the loudness is not an issue. Portability is my main issue because I travel alot. Also I dont need the inputs of the 2i2 because I just listen, I dont record. I would buy the FiiO K3 just because of the portability but I would like to know if there will be some sound quality improvement from the 2i2. The K3 is actually cheaper than the 2i2 but I believe the price is for the 2 inputs of the 2i2 so the Headphone out can lack behind the K3.
Also I would use the K3 mainly with DAWs with midi controllers so latency is a thing for me. With the 2i2 there are dedicated ASIO drivers and I am ok with the latency. Can the K3 be easily connected and set-up in any DAW and use it as good as the 2i2?

TL;DR
Is there sound improvement from the 2i2 to the K3?

UPDATE:
Bought the K3. A/B testing with the AKG K712 pro there are no audible results. But the Fiio has more power, bass boost switch, portability, lighter, higher sample rate (384000/32bit).
Also playing files after each other with different sampling rates is more convenient. With the Focusrite it needed restart of the software.
Also the latency is better while using Midi controller with DAW (Ableton Push+Bitwig).

Id never get an ASIO interface of all I need is a headphone amp.

I’ve never had a 2i2, but I’ve never needed to restart software when changing sample rate with other Focusrite interfaces.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:54 pm Id never get an ASIO interface of all I need is a headphone amp.

I’ve never had a 2i2, but I’ve never needed to restart software when changing sample rate with other Focusrite interfaces.
FiiO K3 also has a ASIO driver that can be used in the DAW of choice.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”