The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

overrated effects - all Waves VSTs
underrated - OrilRiver
overrated generators - Sylenth1, Nexus, Serum
underrated - Harmor, Dune 3
Hire me for graphic design.

underrated: Loomer Aspect. Such great filters.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I try to stick to just rating synths, not over- or underrating them 8)
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

For me uhe is kind of overrated. And all of those all-in-one workstation synths in general.
Underrated are FL studio & its effect as well as tonebooster and HOFA.

Magnut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm For me uhe is kind of overrated. And all of those all-in-one workstation synths in general.
Lol.
How is u-he overrated and how is fl studio underrated?!

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:47 pm
Magnut wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm For me uhe is kind of overrated. And all of those all-in-one workstation synths in general.
Lol.
FL Studio is a bit underrated, I agree. Many people consider it a DAW for kids, not so professional, compared to Cubase, PT etc.
Coming to U-He synths, they are top notch.

It's very difficult to find an answer, anyway.
I think Dmitry Sches' synths are underrated, not so much for their quality, as for they are not very popular. Same for Madrona Labs'.
Overrated... I don't know, there are synths which I don't like at all, but it's up to me, I think.

Yesterday I was playing with Sugar Bytes Factory. Man! This is very under the radar synth. I found it the same level as Serum (and other celebrity synths) if not better really! But I'm not crazy about making my own wavetables, so maybe this is why!

I also think Arturia's synths are underrated (not Pigments though ;) ) Prophet V (VS) is a fantastic synth for example.

When you stop being affected by forums or YouTube, you will discover so many gems :hihi:

rating is wildly overrated

Pacific05 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:47 pm
Lol.
FL Studio is a bit underrated, I agree. Many people consider it a DAW for kids, not so professional, compared to Cubase, PT etc.
Coming to U-He synths, they are top notch.

It's very difficult to find an answer, anyway.
I think Dmitry Sches' synths are underrated, not so much for their quality, as for they are not very popular. Same for Madrona Labs'.
Overrated... I don't know, there are synths which I don't like at all, but it's up to me, I think.
Mixing facilities in fl studio are poor. Lots of kids do use it!
I fail to see how it’s underrated tho, since a lot of beatmakers rock it.
Dmitry Sches is underrated for sure. Imo going under PA was not the best call - it’s a bit lost in the crowd whose target demographic is tripping on “analogue” stuff and people who don’t like PA wont buy into the ecosystem. Wild guess

EnGee wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 pm Yesterday I was playing with Sugar Bytes Factory. Man! This is very under the radar synth. I found it the same level as Serum (and other celebrity synths) if not better really! But I'm not crazy about making my own wavetables, so maybe this is why!

I also think Arturia's synths are underrated (not Pigments though ;) ) Prophet V (VS) is a fantastic synth for example.

When you stop being affected by forums or YouTube, you will discover so many gems :hihi:
Arturia’s synths sell like hot cakes taking into account that their sound leaves a lot to be desired.
Prophet vs Repro is no contest

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 pm Dmitry Sches is underrated for sure. Imo going under PA was not the best call - it’s a bit lost in the crowd whose target demographic is tripping on “analogue” stuff and people who don’t like PA wont buy into the ecosystem. Wild guess
DS is not underrated in terms of quality, because many say his synths are top notch. But going to PA and letting customers pay 20$ (if I remember correctly) for beeing part of the PA-switch and to benefit for future minor updates, got many pissed I think (at least me). Maybe it would have been more seamless, if he'd change to PA with a major update and then offer an upgrade price bundling it all together. Quality for me means also to have a continuous business model.

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 pm Dmitry Sches is underrated for sure. Imo going under PA was not the best call - it’s a bit lost in the crowd whose target demographic is tripping on “analogue” stuff and people who don’t like PA wont buy into the ecosystem. Wild guess
I never felt the need to update Diversion to the PA version, but, realistically, updating and maintaining software (synths) takes effort, and therefor money, especially when you have to implement a new licensing system etc.

Regarding the "underrated", I think Dmitry's synths were a bit under the radar before as well. They're a bit special (Diversion was a high CPU waveshaping synth, and Thorn is a spectral synth). Also, I must say that Diversion simply takes too much CPU for what it does. It sounds good, yes, but, not that good that it would justify such a massive CPU hit.

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:22 pm Arturia’s synths sell like hot cakes taking into account that their sound leaves a lot to be desired.
Prophet vs Repro is no contest
Really? I don't know. I thought as a bundle (VC) yes because honestly it is a great value for money especially if you like the new synths (like CZ V which is absolute gem).

On the other hand, I don't compare synths anymore! I mean I have RePro and it is maybe the best analogue soft synth I have ever heard and own! RePro 1 can be a good replacement for MiniBrute 2 if I want to sell the hardware, but MB2 has more possibilites in sound because of the modulations. Anyway, I think they are on the same level. I love them both really and still they have different characters.

Prophet V (with VS especially) is after all a different synth than RePro 5 because of the VS section. But both can be exist in my list, no problem for me :D

I also found Aparillo has tremendous atmosphere/texture sound capabilities. I really love this synth and can't find many synths with such sound quality and ease of use! Sugar Bytes rocks!

I agree that DS synths are top notch synths. I thought to buy Diversion few days ago, but the problem I have too many synths now. Anyway, I really like it and want it! I like it more than Thorn, but Thorn is also a great synth and was undervalued a lot by PA! IMO, Dimity Dimitry should have sold it directly like Diversion and I think $99 is a good price (for each synth).
Last edited by EnGee on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pacific05 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:19 pmFL Studio is a bit underrated, I agree. Many people consider it a DAW for kids, not so professional, compared to Cubase, PT etc.
That mostly comes down to FL's workflow, which is a legacy of it's origins as a simple drum machine. I don't think too many people would dispute it's capabilities, just the number of hoops it makes you jump through to get to the end result.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Russell Grand wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:24 am Soundspots' products are generally just not very good, sometimes being laughable.
Agreed, though I use FAT a lot and happen to think Soundspot Focus is way underrated, although not for its desired purpose. In fact, its psychoacoustic “focus” effect works so badly and sounds so strange that I like to use it to push sounds into the background during transitions without using reverb, compression, volume, or modulation :D

Return to “Instruments”