New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm It was a couple of months ago I tried the demo so this might have been fixed, but is it possible to remove the constantly moving LFOs in the middle of the GUI? I don’t want that distraction when programming patches.
I find it a really useful visual aid that enhances patch creation. One man’s meat...

Great for you, but I was not asking for someones opinion. It was a simple YES/No question.

Ohlson_M wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:54 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm It was a couple of months ago I tried the demo so this might have been fixed, but is it possible to remove the constantly moving LFOs in the middle of the GUI? I don’t want that distraction when programming patches.
I find it a really useful visual aid that enhances patch creation. One man’s meat...

Great for you, but I was not asking for someones opinion. It was a simple YES/No question.
Oh I’m sorry I thought this was a forum rather than your personal Q&A site.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

You cannot possibly be serious? That is the thing that makes Pigments such a great synth to program. It's sheer genius, yet you would disable it? Madness!
c_voltage wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:53 pmSynapse Audio Antidote, has a set of very cool effects, and especially the reverb, which has become almost a classic in the RE format, existing in a separate plugin as well)
If you mean Fat Space, we have that in Orion, too.
Added: btw, i liked sound of Antidote more than Dune 2 and 3. Especially pads\unison character.
Me, too, but Rich kept evolving it until it became DUNE and now my old Antidote beta version doesn't work anymore (because it's 32 bit only). Still, I managed to recreate the patches we use most in DUNE so I can still get those sounds easily enough.
SamDi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 pmDidn't you once tell, that you would like to use Pigments more often, but you can't, because it hardly fits in your mixes in opposite to Hive? What was the reason? How did you solve it? Just interested.
I definitely don't use Pigments as much as I'd like for that first reason but I find Hive is even worse in that regard. Much worse. I also don't like using Hive 2, whereas working with Pigments is a pleasure. When I first got Hive 1.2 I used it quite a bit but, over time, I have replaced it with other things in pretty much every song I had used it in. I think there is only one song I've left it in, and there it only plays for 12 bars in a break and I had to double it with a second instance to get what I needed from it, which is something I really hate doing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 am
You cannot possibly be serious? That is the thing that makes Pigments such a great synth to program. It's sheer genius, yet you would disable it? Madness!
c_voltage wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:53 pmSynapse Audio Antidote, has a set of very cool effects, and especially the reverb, which has become almost a classic in the RE format, existing in a separate plugin as well)
If you mean Fat Space, we have that in Orion, too.
Added: btw, i liked sound of Antidote more than Dune 2 and 3. Especially pads\unison character.
Me, too, but Rich kept evolving it until it became DUNE and now my old Antidote beta version doesn't work anymore (because it's 32 bit only). Still, I managed to recreate the patches we use most in DUNE so I can still get those sounds easily enough.
SamDi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 pmDidn't you once tell, that you would like to use Pigments more often, but you can't, because it hardly fits in your mixes in opposite to Hive? What was the reason? How did you solve it? Just interested.
I definitely don't use Pigments as much as I'd like for that first reason but I find Hive is even worse in that regard. Much worse. I also don't like using Hive 2, whereas working with Pigments is a pleasure. When I first got Hive 1.2 I used it quite a bit but, over time, I have replaced it with other things in pretty much every song I had used it in. I think there is only one song I've left it in, and there it only plays for 12 bars in a break and I had to double it with a second instance to get what I needed from it, which is something I really hate doing.
well, seems like personal preference after all 🤗

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 am If you mean Fat Space, we have that in Orion, too.
Hehe no, i meant Deep Reverb (DR-1) 8)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ep-reverb/
Here some comments if interesting: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7494604
And i have Fat Space too (in RE), which rather good but ordinary by sound.
But Antidote contain exactly DR-1.

Yeah, I don't really care about effects the way most of the rest of you do. If Fat Space does the job, I'll use it. If it doesn't, I'll use something else but it's not something I put a lot of thought or effort into because it's not really an important aspect of what we do. Distortions are about the only effects I get excited about.
Tendou wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 amwell, seems like personal preference after all 🤗
How do you figure that? I replace Hive because it doesn't perform as well as some other synths, not because I have some personal preference for another synth. If there is a personal preference, it is for sound because I don't find that Hive's sound cuts it in my mixes. Pigments is a bit the same way but not to the same degree. Possibly that is because I am more inclined to put in a bit of extra effort to get Pigments working but that's as far as it goes.

In the end, it is all personal preference. We all prefer to have a range of options for creating our preferred sounds in our preferred style(s) of music. It's how we do this.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This might be the most interesting plugin I've played with in years. Great Job Arturia, I wish it was made into a hardware instrument. ;)
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 am Yeah, I don't really care about effects the way most of the rest of you do. If Fat Space does the job, I'll use it. If it doesn't, I'll use something else but it's not something I put a lot of thought or effort into because it's not really an important aspect of what we do. Distortions are about the only effects I get excited about.
Tendou wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 amwell, seems like personal preference after all 🤗
How do you figure that? I replace Hive because it doesn't perform as well as some other synths, not because I have some personal preference for another synth. If there is a personal preference, it is for sound because I don't find that Hive's sound cuts it in my mixes. Pigments is a bit the same way but not to the same degree. Possibly that is because I am more inclined to put in a bit of extra effort to get Pigments working but that's as far as it goes.

In the end, it is all personal preference. We all prefer to have a range of options for creating our preferred sounds in our preferred style(s) of music. It's how we do this.
exactly. everything you said there is that you disnt like how hive sounded so you replaced it. its personal preference. Moreover its a bit genre dependend bc imho not every (soft) synth is suites for every genre. I bought hive for my techno productions and im satisfied, as I am with pigments 🤷‍♂️

You can say that but I can show you that Hive doesn't sound as good as a lot of other synths so, unless you actually prefer weaker leads and pads, for example. Armed with that kind of information, it goes beyond personal preference and is quantifiable to an extent.

A few weeks ago this amazing open-filter pad sound sort of fell out of bx_oberhausen and it took me ages to get close to it in Obsession, which piqued my curiosity. So I grabbed another handful of synths and tried to get a similar sound out of each of them. There were a few that didn't have the necessary functionality (decent unison) but I think I ended up with 8 or so that were similar enough. Hive really surprised me in sounding so much less full than all the others that were able to get in the ballpark. It was a bit of an epiphany because it provided an explanation as to why I keep replacing it, kind of like when Bob Moog explained in a documentary what it was about the Ladder filter than I never liked. It tells me that what appears on the surface to be a simple personal preference can sometimes be quantified. I think I saved the project so I can render it out if you are interested.

Of course, it goes both ways. Sometimes you hear something from a particular synth that you don't rate that makes you change your mind about it in a positive way. That happened to me with Tyrell N6 - when I first installed it and played around for an hour or so, it did absolutely nothing for me and I quickly lost interest in it. Later on I heard something I thought was great, that had been made with N6, so I had another look at it and found that once you go beyond the presets there is plenty to like about it.

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:48 am You can say that but I can show you that Hive doesn't sound as good as a lot of other synths so, unless you actually prefer weaker leads and pads, for example. Armed with that kind of information, it goes beyond personal preference and is quantifiable to an extent.

A few weeks ago this amazing open-filter pad sound sort of fell out of bx_oberhausen and it took me ages to get close to it in Obsession, which piqued my curiosity. So I grabbed another handful of synths and tried to get a similar sound out of each of them. There were a few that didn't have the necessary functionality (decent unison) but I think I ended up with 8 or so that were similar enough. Hive really surprised me in sounding so much less full than all the others that were able to get in the ballpark. It was a bit of an epiphany because it provided an explanation as to why I keep replacing it, kind of like when Bob Moog explained in a documentary what it was about the Ladder filter than I never liked. It tells me that what appears on the surface to be a simple personal preference can sometimes be quantified. I think I saved the project so I can render it out if you are interested.

Of course, it goes both ways. Sometimes you hear something from a particular synth that you don't rate that makes you change your mind about it in a positive way. That happened to me with Tyrell N6 - when I first installed it and played around for an hour or so, it did absolutely nothing for me and I quickly lost interest in it. Later on I heard something I thought was great, that had been made with N6, so I had another look at it and found that once you go beyond the presets there is plenty to like about it.
thats actually funny, bc when I demoed it before buying my opinion was that it sounded warmer & fuller than serum, avenger, dune 3, pigments and even diva which where the softsynth I was owning at that time! :)

What does "warmer and fuller" mean? Because what I have found is that when you use it on its own, it sounds great but when you put it in a mix with other synths, it sounds much less so. It requires a lot more work to get it doing what you need it to do.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:28 am What does "warmer and fuller" mean? Because what I have found is that when you use it on its own, it sounds great but when you put it in a mix with other synths, it sounds much less so. It requires a lot more work to get it doing what you need it to do.
What style of electronic music do you make now? I do agree that that it does sound less aggressive and fat compared to certain other synths, but it does sound quite organic and warm for a lots of electronic music styles.

We make the same music we've been making for 24 years - Electro-Industrial. "Organic and warm" are not criteria I use when choosing sounds. In fact, they sound like sounds you'd use to make vegetarian music and the music we make is much more suited to carnivorous predators.

Find a way to create a sequencer like pigments and drive serum with it:
I patch the sequencer in Reaktor, then it can drive any synth via midi.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Oh I’m sorry I thought this was a forum rather than your personal Q&A site.
Since you cannot answer my question with an opinion, you are only wasting your time :shrug:. Plus, there are countless of questions similiar to mine on this forum, which people are able to interpret and answer correctly. Anyway, will let you know when I’m asking for an opinion because I cannot decide for myself what I like or don’t like.

Return to “Instruments”