The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find Soundspot very hit and miss. There are a couple I find indispensible, particularly Halcyon, but others are, as RG says, "laughable". Oracle, their reverb, is another good one and I am still finding so many uses for Union that it's getting beyond funny. It has become my most used synth plugin by a country mile of late.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 pm I never felt the need to update Diversion to the PA version,...
Could it be because there's no Diversion PA version in the first place? :wink:

Hm, I thought there was one actually. Maybe I confuse it with Thorn.

Most definitely.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 amOracle, their reverb, is another good one
:-o It's awful. Overpriced even for $7 now.
But I'm sure there is somewhere you can insert it :tu:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Overrated: Every plugin I'm too lazy to fully explore and learn. :grin:
Underrated: Cubase stock plugins. This probably applies to most DAW:s out there.

Michael L wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:30 am
BONES wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 amOracle, their reverb, is another good one
:-o It's awful. Overpriced even for $7 now.
But I'm sure there is somewhere you can insert it :tu:
Awful why? I like the extra effects on it you can use without having to add extra plugins. It makes it quite handy as a channel insert - quick and easy. Or maybe I just really like Soundspot's Saturation algorithm because both Oracle and Halcyon use it and Union probably does, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Under rated:

Bitwig the GRID is the best synth for building instruments and learning. Everyone needs to give it a serious try.

Biotek 2 with a dedicated X/Y is just awesome and unique AND hard to program properly

Falcon 2 is the best do anything synth out there and I love it more then Synthmaster 2 now.

Over rated; Arturia Emulations - They are not very inspiring and some of the blandest emulations

Should have more love;
ACE and Hive 2 - They are just over the top fun
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:21 am Awful why? I like the extra effects on it you can use without having to add extra plugins
I never thought about that: terrible as a reverb, but not as a saturation/ distortion effect. Thanks.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Overrated: waves SSL bundle
Underrated: Softube Summit Audio grand channel

Many "Synthesis Monsters" like Zebra are regarded as overrated. Why?

I suppose that the Reason is mainly the Fact that they offer all Options/Tools, but don't offer good "Content" (Waveforms, Samples, ...). Just look at the MSF....

Starting with Wave-Design is usually no Fun. I'd vote for EG RP Blue at the Moment. Or NI Razor. You can't do so much yourself there, but that usually rather means that you don't have to and get some Pro-Help.

I also feel that Zeb is overrated because its a purely OSC focussed Tool without "Soul", sounds rough not brilliant and never really soft but rather strangely "empty". Time Sucker as many many others which support the Patch Industry at the End of the Day - but yes - sometimes Weapon of Choice for sure

Been having a lot of fun with Rob Papen Go2 lately - seems very underrated, possibly because it seems at face value to be a simple one osc synth - however it's really great for moving evolving sounds and it's just so playable

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:57 pm Been having a lot of fun with Rob Papen Go2 lately - seems very underrated, possibly because it seems at face value to be a simple one osc synth - however it's really great for moving evolving sounds and it's just so playable
Same here with some of the others. Really quick Results and no fiddling around like with e. g. Zebra anymore. Marvelous FM in Blue - so much easier, resp. better sounding to me. They have a completely different Sound Level and Masses of great usable! Presets. Ensemble on and the Space just opens. Three Thumbs up. eXplore!

I can't quantify what is and isn't overhyped, I just know what I like and don't like that encompasses more than the sound of the synth itself.

In regard to one particular synth, I think I recorded this live with Rob Papens Predator RE, in Reason 7 many moons ago.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... n-my-dream
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

sonic Lion Nitrox is very underrated. Great synth and very versatile. Reminds me a bit of zeta+ and audjoo helix. And its free!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”