Help, please - Reaper items and editor

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you see all "items" in the editor in Reaper? Let's say you want to transpose a portion of a track, so you select all the "items" that you want to transpose, open them in the editor and transpose them all with just one command, right? Wrong. I've tried every combination of settings and commands, checked the manual and the internet, but to no avail, it always only opens one item at a time. So if I have, say, 118 items I want to modify in the same way, I have to open one of them at a time :-/
What am I missing?
Any help very appreciated.

Hello!

You need to set the MIDI editor to open all MIDI from the project, in Preferences->Editing Behavior->MIDI Editor.

This has been in Reaper for quite some time now. Inside MIDI editor you also have the Track List (see Contents menu in MIDI editor's header), which you can use to show/hide and activate tracks/items for editing. There are a number of other options for MIDI editing behavior when in this mode, also in Preferences->Editing Behavior->MIDI Editor, so check it all out.

Yep, it's configurable to accommodate multiple ways/preferences of editing. Some of the most relevant settings you might want to look at are the "Selection is linked to visibility" and "Selection is linked to editability" options. In any case, you definitely don't need to adjust 118 items one by one :), and in many more specialized cases (dialog editing for games/tv, MIDI multipart editing to-picture, etc. etc.) Reaper is the opposite of that, making it possible to automate things that you might need to do one by one in another environment.

Thanks EvilDragon (I have a short memory - are you the same guy who helped me with the other problem I had?) :)
I did try all combinations in preferences/editor, and none of them worked. I also did see the track list thingy, what I didn't expect was for it not to be set on the most obvious (for me, at least) default setting, that is, modify all selected items. It turns out you have to click on the padlock to make all the selected items editable at the same time o_O
I still find it strange that only one item is visible and the others are greyed out anyway, though... I can live with that, but it's odd (unless I'm missing something again). I also hope I'll find a way to make this the default setting.
Thank you so much for making me look at that again!!! :)

(just so I don't look as dumb as I feel: I've always only used a twenty year old version of cubase, and I've only recently gotten a decent computer and Reaper, so for the past three weeks or so I've been installing stuff, transferring data, and learning new programs, with my other job and the rest of life on top, and trying to do it fast in order not to block any source of (meager) income. The worst part is Reaper, of course, since 20 years in IT are like one million years in any other area and I am quite overwhelmed by all the functions and procedures. I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll need help, so thanks for the patience, I really appreciate it :) )

Thanks Guenon, I'll look into those options as well :) Where can I find them?

They're all in the location where I said in Preferences. Alternatively you can right-click in the empty part of the Track List in MIDI editor.

Make sure to enable "Make secondary items editable by default" option.

You don't need to click individual padlocks per item. You can click on the padlock that belongs to the track itself, this enables all padlocks, makes all items on that track editable. Then you can Ctrl+A and move notes up/down to transpose or whatnot.

There are a few actions in Actions list left that don't work on all editable items, though. I don't have an exhaustive list, sorry. I think they are suffixed with (active take only) in the list. Active take/item being the one that has the down arrow thing glowing in the Track List.

Oh yeah one more thing. The MIDI editor per project/track/item setting starts working only after you close all active MIDI editor, IIRC!

Lots of precious information, thank you so much! I'll work on it tonight, thank you again!!! :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”