One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, also, don't "search" for the fault just to have something to critique. It's not that necessary. If I can instantly sense a problem or something even bothers me, that's when I find it important to say something, mostly when it feels like it may be because of something the artist wasn't aware of or hasn't yet learned. Normally I don't go to the geniuses among us and tell them what they're doing wrong :lol: ...mostly because they simply don't do anything wrong. :shrug: ...or at least I know, they know better.

Then there's the really wonderful sandwich technique I've picked up in the States. It's really wise in every way, because why would you offer advice to somebody you wouldn't wish to stay motivated and proceed? Unless your advice was for them not to proceed, hahaha! :ud:

Sandwich goes:
Top: Find what's good, even if it's but a good tendency or a good reason, but something that confirms the good in all of it.
Middle: Then mention what you've noticed as a problem with some potential suggestion
Bottom: Back to why it's all worth it and what good things to expect.

It sounds like a cold formula and something it does get ridiculous when people use it, but know not why or what for. They use it to protect themselves. But if you are full of heart and care, then you will figure out that this method is to help you show your heart and your care in a way that has a useful and elevating effect.

I sometimes forget to use it, too... :dog: :( ...it's because I take it for granted and think that I always regard it, but sometimes people cannot know what I don't speak out. I might've thought: Wow, here's a real diamond in the rough - or - I can't wait what becomes of this one. But I did not write it, because it would've felt awkward. Meh...

Voted ! Congrats to you all !

Voted! Apologies for the lack of comments on tracks, I will endeavour to rectify that in the near future :tu:
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Taron wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:20 am Then there's the really wonderful sandwich technique I've picked up in the States. It's really wise in every way, because why would you offer advice to somebody you wouldn't wish to stay motivated and proceed? Unless your advice was for them not to proceed, hahaha! :ud:

Sandwich goes:
Top: Find what's good, even if it's but a good tendency or a good reason, but something that confirms the good in all of it.
Middle: Then mention what you've noticed as a problem with some potential suggestion
Bottom: Back to why it's all worth it and what good things to expect.
I just wanted to say this, and then it turned out that this is a whole technique! Of course, people are more likely to use the butterbread :) or inverted butterbread :ud: technique (what, in English there is no separate word for a sandwich without the top slice of bread?! :o ), in any case, it tastes better than eating one stale bread! :hihi: All, enough about gastronomy, I want to say that to criticize something one would be good to attach the praise of something else, so that the artist does not develop a one-sided attitude. Maybe I'm very kind, but I've never heard a track in OSC that doesn't have something good in it (outside of OSC, I hear it very often!).

P.S. Noticed: a lot of very interesting and detailed discussions occur in the topic of the synthesizer of the month after some time after its completion! That is why I do not close this topic for another month after :wink: ... Don't get sick! :uhuhuh: :hug:

Someone could compile a compelling book from all the "voting time"-discussions. :hihi:

IV! wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am what, in English there is no separate word for a sandwich without the top slice of bread?! :o
I can't think of a single word for it, offhand, but this is commonly called an open-faced sandwich.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 pm
IV! wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am what, in English there is no separate word for a sandwich without the top slice of bread?! :o
I can't think of a single word for it, offhand, but this is commonly called an open-faced sandwich.
Ahahah, I can't believe it! :lol: Well, thanks, I'll know! :tu:

Voted.

I put the tracks on in my car during my daily commute and have listened most days while not seeing who wrote what song. It is perhaps a good idea.

I think my song isn't loud enough relative to most others. And it only sounds good to me if I turn it way up. Oh well.

Hey folks - done my first round of voting. Now I need to sit back and listen again in a couple of days time - and to try to find some time to do more commenting ...

dB

empphryio wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 pm I think my song isn't loud enough relative to most others. And it only sounds good to me if I turn it way up. Oh well.
Definitely not too soft compared to the others, maybe you needed ear-splitting levels to like it more yourself? :wink:

VOTED :party:

As always - a lot of impressive tracks :clap:

Good luck to all :tu:

empphryio wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 pm I think my song isn't loud enough relative to most others. And it only sounds good to me if I turn it way up. Oh well.
Same issue in my tracks :?

Finally voted... I had to come up with a four category / three level "grading" system this time to help me sort out the final scores, everything sounded really great!

Voted! I might change some votes, but I felt really good about the quality of entries this month.

As far as commenting - I've been trying to comment more in the past couple of months (I did most of my voting today, and I left so many comments so quickly that I got a Soundcloud timeout), and I've also tried to make sure that if I'm giving someone anything less than a four that I try to explain why.

That's not always easy, and I'm trying to learn how to articulate it graciously, so I apologize if I come across harshly on anyone's song this month - I'm trying to learn to be helpful, rather than blandly positive. Of course, some tracks are so good that bland positivity is all I have to offer them.

As far as receiving comments: I love getting comments that help me improve. Even if they're harsh. They've had to be, lots of months, and it's been a huge benefit to me as a composer and mixer. I don't always agree with all parts of how someone helps me out, but the experience of getting their perspective on what I'm doing - and particularly, what I could be doing better is invaluable. So aside from personal attacks and unfocused degradation, I'm really, really grateful for constructive criticism. I'd love to have a month where I don't get any, but I want to earn that, and I don't want it until I've earned it.

EDIT: To clarify, there have been no incidents of personal attacks or unfocused degradation. I just wouldn't like that.

Finally did two passes over the list and finished voting. Now back to work on #138 :)

Return to “Instruments”