Any cabs that will look good with the boss katana amp head?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have been looking everywhere for a new amp, and the Boss Katana seems like it is going to be it, good for my price range, and is good for the type of sound I'm looking for. I'm not positive that this is it, because I have fallen in love with the Marshall DSL100HR 100W Tube Guitar Amp Head, but it might just be too expensive.
Well anyway here is to my main question, can anyone think of any amp cabs that might look good with the Boss Katana other than it's main cab? Preferably 2/4x12.
I closed this thread because I no longer want the Boss Katana amp head. Tried it out, and it is just not my type, couldn't produce any tone I wanted it too.
Last edited by TheMusicManisI on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If you are near Holland, you can collect a vintage (ca 1973) 4x12" cabinet I have standing in the way.
It looked and sounded good underneath a London City / Sound City top.
Last edited by BertKoor on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The width would fit perfectly on a vertical 2x12 Zilla Fatboy :love: Black grill cloth, white piping and pick your favourite tolex.

TheMusicManisI wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 am So I have been looking everywhere for a new amp, and the Boss Katana seems like it is going to be it, good for my price range, and is good for the type of sound I'm looking for. I'm not positive that this is it, because I have fallen in love with the Marshall DSL100HR 100W Tube Guitar Amp Head, but it might just be too expensive.
Well anyway here is to my main question, can anyone think of any amp cabs that might look good with the Boss Katana other than it's main cab? Preferably 2/4x12.
just curious, why are you putting looks first? I see also you are looking at the Marshall DSL 100HR which creates the question for me, what are exactly you looking for from the amp. The Boss is a modeling amp, the Marshall is a tube amp, the Boss is 50 watts, the Marshall 100 watts. There is not a ton of difference between a 50 watt tube amp a 100 watt tube amp in the case of volume (mostly headroom).

Both amps are entirely different beasts so what exactly are your needs? Are you in a band that warrants a 100 watt Marshall stack or are you just recording? Your post says you've been looking everywhere and the Boss is good for the tones you like...can you enlighten us more on this, what are you looking for?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 pm
TheMusicManisI wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 am So I have been looking everywhere for a new amp, and the Boss Katana seems like it is going to be it, good for my price range, and is good for the type of sound I'm looking for. I'm not positive that this is it, because I have fallen in love with the Marshall DSL100HR 100W Tube Guitar Amp Head, but it might just be too expensive.
just curious, why are you putting looks first? I see also you are looking at the Marshall DSL 100HR which creates the question for me, what are exactly you looking for from the amp. The Boss is a modeling amp, the Marshall is a tube amp, the Boss is 50 watts, the Marshall 100 watts. There is not a ton of difference between a 50 watt tube amp a 100 watt tube amp in the case of volume (mostly headroom).

Both amps are entirely different beasts so what exactly are your needs? Are you in a band that warrants a 100 watt Marshall stack or are you just recording? Your post says you've been looking everywhere and the Boss is good for the tones you like...can you enlighten us more on this, what are you looking for?
I apologize for not being specific. I want versatility, this next amp I am getting will be my main amp, I want to make sure I am getting an amp that is worth my money, I am still choosing, so I don't know exactly which one I am getting. I will most likely get a used one, because I can't afford so many of the amps that are new. I want versatility because I don't have a specific genre I like to play. I would like at least 50W. I will be using it mainly for myself (as of right now), and I will be using it for recording, playing for fun, and bringing it places. I don't have a specific amp in mind, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I apologize for not being specific. I want versatility, this next amp I am getting will be my main amp, I want to make sure I am getting an amp that is worth my money, I am still choosing, so I don't know exactly which one I am getting. I will most likely get a used one, because I can't afford so many of the amps that are new.

I believe my main problem is that I am expecting to little for too much, that is why I am okay with getting it used, and I realize it is making me sound spoiled and ignorant, but I am still looking into it, the more I look into amps, the more higher priced they go. I do believe looks matter somewhat, so that is my simple answer to that, but I am not putting looks first, I am not knowledgeable on amps, but I am trying to understand them more.

Also if anyone cares enough to realize that I am the guy that posted that stupid comment on another post, please just stfu, I already apologized for being an ignorant noob.

I have a wonderful little collection of tube amps, but my investment is silly low. Please keep one thing in mind that power can be confusing. For instance a 100 watt amp is not twice as aloud as a 50 watt, it's better to narrow your choices down to what suits you and possibly what you can grow with and not look at numbers. One of my amps is an elephant cannon, a 60/100watt Mesa Boogie on a 4x12 (crate with celestions in it), tbh I cant even say it works right now...last played 7 or 8 years ago.

I also bought a Jet City 50 watt which I would use live but for recording I found this wonderful concept. I went with a company called Frenzel, hand made, point to point tube amps that if you are like me can be very cost effective. Two of my three are just tube pre-amps (real tube pre-amp, not faux, not plate starved) and they use a pre-amp tube as a single power amp tube (one to two watts depending on who you listen to), Marshall did the same concept, not sure if they still do but my first Frenzel came in at 315 dollars and I think the Marshalls were around 500 but more features. I later had him build me a regular tube amp that uses many different power tubes (just one, single ended, class A), after that I had him build me the hi gain version of my first amp and modify it to work with the second amp...the combo of the two was under 1000 dollars and it's ten amps in one at least (the same pre can run into the power amp on the 50watt jet city, or the jet city pre can run into the single ended frenzel power amp).

Shop around, ask questions here if you need...you might find it's better to compromise on the power/size of the amp than to compromise on the features and topography of the amp...you might be surprised what you get for your money. One thing I did to save money is all three of my Frenzel amps have no cabinets for the amp itself :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

TheMusicManisI wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 am Well anyway here is to my main question, can anyone think of any amp cabs that might look good with the Boss Katana other than it's main cab? Preferably 2/4x12.
When I was looking for a cab, which was around 2005, I found on youtube a video where some guys were doing a comparison of speakers, all recorded in the same environment with the same riff.

They did a shitload, maybe 30+ speaker types, I can’t remember now. I ripped the video to my computer and put the thing on repeat with the monitor off and each time I heard a speaker I liked, I stopped play, turned the monitor on, and took a note, and did this sporadically over a few weeks.

This helped me decide the speaker sound, and from there I went searching for a cabinet that housed that type of speaker. From memory, I think I picked the same speaker each time.

The thing is, if looks are important, you could always buy a cab you like the look of, say from somewhere like https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x, and then load the Speaker of your choice once you know which speaker you like.

xtp wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:31 am
TheMusicManisI wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 am Well anyway here is to my main question, can anyone think of any amp cabs that might look good with the Boss Katana other than it's main cab? Preferably 2/4x12.
When I was looking for a cab, which was around 2005, I found on youtube a video where some guys were doing a comparison of speakers, all recorded in the same environment with the same riff.

They did a shitload, maybe 30+ speaker types, I can’t remember now. I ripped the video to my computer and put the thing on repeat with the monitor off and each time I heard a speaker I liked, I stopped play, turned the monitor on, and took a note, and did this sporadically over a few weeks.

This helped me decide the speaker sound, and from there I went searching for a cabinet that housed that type of speaker. From memory, I think I picked the same speaker each time.

The thing is, if looks are important, you could always buy a cab you like the look of, say from somewhere like https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x, and then load the Speaker of your choice once you know which speaker you like.
Thank you! I will try that. Do you have any suggestions for guitar amp heads?

TheMusicManisI wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:51 am Do you have any suggestions for guitar amp heads?
Yes. Go to a shop. A real bricks & mortar shop. Bring your guitar (and fx pedals) and ask to demo some amps. They will (act to) be happy to let you play all of them. Do not rule out combo amps with one or two speakers underneath. Far easier to transport.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:09 am
TheMusicManisI wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:51 am Do you have any suggestions for guitar amp heads?
Yes. Go to a shop. A real bricks & mortar shop. Bring your guitar (and fx pedals) and ask to demo some amps. They will (act to) be happy to let you play all of them. Do not rule out combo amps with one or two speakers underneath. Far easier to transport.
Thank you, I live in the country, so there are not many music stores around, but yes, if there is any place around me that has the amp I am looking for, I will absolutely play it before buying it. Although I am pretty set on getting a barely used one so that I can buy one that is great for the price of an amp that sucks.

Return to “Guitars”