Why Do You Create Music ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually make tons of music, but rarely record anything. In particular the modular stuff is just gone
forever once I breakdown the patch, which usually don't last more than a day. I cant say that very
much of it would constitute being categorized as songs, though. TBH, I don't really give a crap either,
as I did that already.

Only if something strikes me as interesting, I may record a little of it for others.
No one listens to the stuff here anyway other than vurt mostly, which is important,
so I post them. I find it odd though, over at GS the same stuff get's hundreds of views
easily, the hardware connection is stronger there I guess. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 pm I find it odd though, over at GS the same stuff get's hundreds of views
or we’re all so insanely narcissistic we only bother listening to our own stuff. :wink:

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Heh, I don't care honestly, I would rather not waste anyone's time with stuff they have no interest in,
which is why I always try to put an explanation of what it is in the thread title. I guess it makes sense
that not as many are interested in experimental hardware stuff as much, in a primarily software
oriented forum. Anyway, I find it interesting I guess, typically the difference in listeners would be something like 700 vs 6 :lol:

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 pm I actually make tons of music, but rarely record anything. In particular the modular stuff is just gone
forever once I breakdown the patch, which usually don't last more than a day. I cant say that very
much of it would constitute being categorized as songs, though. TBH, I don't really give a crap either,
as I did that already.

Only if something strikes me as interesting, I may record a little of it for others.
No one listens to the stuff here anyway other than vurt mostly, which is important,
so I post them. I find it odd though, over at GS the same stuff get's hundreds of views
first I want to apologize (this is for everyone), I spend so much time here it seems the only time I get to the cafe is because there was a report. I dont post my music there because I feel horrid about not listening to peoples stuff. I started to a couple weeks ago (actually probably a month ago) when I'm out under one of my many lovely shade trees enjoying a Maine summer...but then I forgot because it's not a habit :dog:

I am much like you pekbro, I write for myself mostly and to enjoy playing music as I feel fit. Knowing a little about you from your posts I would love to listen to some and as luck has it I have tomorrow off*, perhaps you could send me the link in a PM...yes I can search but I'll forget, a pm will remind me.

*usually I work Fri and Sat, but we had training today that I just asked for a refresher on two months ago and did. I took the same test and everything, but they said I had to. Being on SSDI I can only work up to a certain amount of hours so I didnt complain. Its called SCM (safe crisis management) and we have to stay up to date on it. The good news is 15 months so far and I have never initiated a hold on a client...I have assisted or really had someone step in for me (tapped out, my fellow staff lookout for the old man) but I still need it...end this with a laugh, Ol' Man Hink put 8/12/2020 on everything I signed today, tests, new policies and such...about thirty signatures with dates...I didnt realize until I got home, came on KvR and saw the date on a report of a 48 hour bump rule :dog:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thanks Hink,

Definitely time is a problem, even though personally I don't have to do anything currently, due to the
state of things in the world. They need to make a KVR radio station or something that we can just
listen to with minimal effort. :D

About the SCM stuff, being pro-active is definitely a good thing in that type of scenario. I used to
work in law enforcement and I can say that it definitely makes a difference. Way harder for you
it seems like, for me it was easy, by the time I was called in, the course of action was always clear
with the kids. Typically they are great runners though, like friggin rabbits.

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 pm .
hmmm maybe i should post more at gs :hihi:
not sure why im important :lol:
i listen because im interested in modular creations and especially modules i dont have, to see if i want :)
you and toon and dave using vcv, do a better job of showing modular in a more mainstream context, i just do weird shit :hihi:

like yourself, i make a lot more noise than people ever hear. sessions in front of the machine, once started can sometimes stretch over a full day (or night) switching stuff, tweaking, restarting from blank and so on.
occasionally recording, even then i record a few hours at a time, then cut out an interesting part (imo).
i do it mainly because i enjoy the process, yeah its nice if people listen, but im not gonna chase listeners.
been thinking about organising some lockdown stuff in to a bandcamp thing.
but only because i only have so much space on my testtube site, so things are constantly deleted and replaced.
would be nice to have a record of this particular time, something more permanent.
but i wont advertise it beyond here :lol:

aaaaand finally...
as to kvr radio, there is the music tracker, which used to (may still) play through the cafe posts :)

Chapelle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:56 am Because it's fun.
And fun is a great reason.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 am
.jon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:14 pmBut you must understand that it's not at all about the intrinsic value of your output, it's about your output being unique.
Why does it have to be unique? What if someone else has expressed the same thought better than you, wouldn't it make more sense to copy them rather than to stick with your unique but inadequate expression? I can't say I have ever worried about my music being unique, that it sort of is is simply a product of my process.
It doesn't have to be unique. It is.

I remember your music from a very long time ago, BONES. Never met, but I like you man.

We are all unique.

started with fascination of the sounds in electronic music. I wanted to learn how to make these sounds and so i started self learning with very little formal education and have been going at it ever since.
:borg:

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:30 pm
hmmm maybe i should post more at gs :hihi:
not sure why im important :lol:
i listen because im interested in modular creations and especially modules i dont have, to see if i want :)
you and toon and dave using vcv, do a better job of showing modular in a more mainstream context, i just do weird shit :hihi:

like yourself, i make a lot more noise than people ever hear. sessions in front of the machine, once started can sometimes stretch over a full day (or night) switching stuff, tweaking, restarting from blank and so on.
occasionally recording, even then i record a few hours at a time, then cut out an interesting part (imo).
i do it mainly because i enjoy the process, yeah its nice if people listen, but im not gonna chase listeners.
been thinking about organising some lockdown stuff in to a bandcamp thing.
but only because i only have so much space on my testtube site, so things are constantly deleted and replaced.
would be nice to have a record of this particular time, something more permanent.
but i wont advertise it beyond here :lol:

aaaaand finally...
as to kvr radio, there is the music tracker, which used to (may still) play through the cafe posts :)
Heh, I shouldn't have singled you out I guess, though I do have a lot of respect for your
work with modular and the way you approach it. Nobody else approaches it like
yourself, like it or not. Not that I've heard anywhere. Anyway, there is a small modular
community here and I like that connection and will not leave you guys out, if I make
something I think might be interesting, otherwise I wouldn't post that stuff here at all.

Where I live, there is no modular community, 99% of the people I know, never
even heard of such stuff, even the guys at the only music store, look at me like
"what?" when I mention it. Consequently, my modular community is entirely online,
and I value that immensely. Even if I don't really consider KVR much of a place for that,
I am still interested in what is around and of course this is the place for software
discussions.

Certainly, I would post more main stream music here at KVR, over any others,
as there are some really good musicians around who's take on that stuff I would
certainly be interested in as well. And definitely I intend to try that also.

Again, I'm not complaining, I think have been successful with those explanatory thread
titles and hopefully kept views to folks who were interested in that. Honestly,
I don't consider anything I've posted to date, to be any sort of song that would be
worth a review from anyone.

To appease my alien captors :help:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 am
empphryio wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 am For me it's like alchemy, like someone trying to make gold, keep on hoping I'll hit on a perfect combination and make something that really has this massive effect on people.
Why is that important? Why can't you just be pleased within yourself that you have made something good and worthwhile? Why do you give other people so much power over you?
Pleasing yourself and pleasing others is a balance the same as ethics is a balance of selfishness and selflessness. I have spent plenty of time doing one or the other and varying degrees in between. One can try to please others because they think that other people being happy will in turn make them happy. Or because they want some kind of respect. Or money or whatever. Yes, this gives them power over you. Not the end of the world, within reason.

"Why Do You Create Music ?"

Because I can.

Is that the right answer? And if so, do I win anything?

it is a type of immortality if you do well enough.

You know, it's funny you ask this. I'm so busy anymore, hardly ever make music. I have a whole stack of new hardware I bought this year, but always too tired to screw with it. I wondered awhile ago if maybe it was nothing more than hearing a great new sound, but mistaking liking the sound with wanting to make that sound. I mean, maybe I just like listening more than making, and maybe I only try to make music because I feel I should, rather than from enjoyment. That's why I bought hardware, wanting to recapture the fun I used to have following creative breadcrumbs on my guitar, but being frustrated on a DAW, which is really more for recording music that's already "there".
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”