used gear prices

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just wondering if anyone has noticed a recent trend....or maybe its just me.

looking around on reverb, facebook market, ebay and craigslist....it seems to me theres been a recent trend of people asking for nearly full price PLUS shipping on lots of used items. now...im not talking about rare/out of production/hard to find stuff...im talking about current items, still in production gear.

im finding a lot of people are asking for what amounts to more (with shipping) than it costs to purchase the item new from amazon (with free expedited shipping) or some such place. dont get me wrong...people can and should ask for whatever they feel is fair, and people will either buy it or not....im just wondering...do people not check prices before trying to sell something?

i understand...you just bought a novation peak (just as an example) for 1400.....you had it for a month and its not for you...a pretty sizable chunk 'o change for something you dont love...i get it....but why would i buy a USED synth from a random stranger for only 50 bucks less than a brand new one from a known legit company? if im already paying that much...the extra 50 for some piece of mind is well worth it (i think).

again...i know...if people wont bite at that price theyll either decide to keep it or lower the price. im just curious as to the logic behind offering a less desirable item (used vs new...buying from a stranger vs buying from a vendor) for nearly (and sometime more with shipping) full new prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9yBgTp9UQ
ImageImageImage

economic upheaval.
people not wanting to lose too much.
here, especially, we are about to see most gear prices rocket, very little is made in the uk sadly.
with both the covid and brexit recessions hitting at once, luxury items will become just that, luxuries.

sad but true.

first world problems eh....

AnX wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:46 pm first world problems eh....
not sure we can call ourselves first world anymore :hihi:

yeah, it's grim up north :lol:

:x
true.

maybe!
its when they have been "caught" buying expensive toys, by a partner.
the partner says "well you can f**king sell it right now!".
but you dont want to sell, so make it undesirable. high price, add a bit of blurb "bought this and tbh it sounds shit"
then you get to keep the toy, but its not your fault :)

chaosWyrM wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:36 pm just wondering if anyone has noticed a recent trend....or maybe its just me.

looking around on reverb, facebook market, ebay and craigslist....it seems to me theres been a recent trend of people asking for nearly full price PLUS shipping on lots of used items. now...im not talking about rare/out of production/hard to find stuff...im talking about current items, still in production gear.
Yep, I totally noticed that. What can you say. It gets more antisocial by the minute.

Saw a Waldorf Blofeld on Ebay Classifieds the other day. For 480 €. Used. :lol:

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pm economic upheaval.
here, especially, we are about to see most gear prices rocket, very little is made in the uk sadly.
with both the covid and brexit recessions hitting at once, luxury items will become just that, luxuries.

sad but true.
We don't have the Gexit. Even if, it would not quite compute. If I would sell something, I wouldn't really assume that someone would pay the same price as if he would buy the device new. Why? That simply doesn't make sense. IMO, in all cases, it's rather a "maybe the buyer is so stupid that I get away with it" attitude. After all, people sell the boxes their Macbooks came in on Ebay, and hope they can lure someone who thinks he makes the deal of the century.

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:41 pm economic upheaval.

sad but true.
We don't have the Gexit. Even if, it would not quite compute. If I would sell something, I wouldn't really assume that someone would pay the same price as if he would buy the device new. Why? That simply doesn't make sense. IMO, in all cases, it's rather a "maybe the buyer is so stupid that I get away with it" attitude. After all, people sell the boxes their Macbooks came in on Ebay, and hope they can lure someone who thinks he makes the deal of the century.
well, i dont know, was just an idea.
not really noticed it so hadnt thought about it before :shrug:

you could be right. as always, buyer beware :)

As you received a shipment or walked out the door on a store with a product - it's pretty much down 25%.

And buying first hand you always have warranty with retailer, which is gone as second owner in most cases. A new unit is 3 year warranty at thomann germany, but buying from someone second does not transfer that to me, as I understand it.

But it's no harm in people trying to get the most they can. What buyer pays is the current market price.

And on a couple of second hand purchases I did I actually earned 10% or so selling it later, even after 10 years. So what you buy also matters - if things you know is in demand, like forever.

But most purchases I loose money on, buying new. But still, you owned it and it served a purpose. Was it available to rent - no - so just the way it is. Education money as I call it.

Definitely, I think it's a sign of the times and the pandemic thing, even at the grocery store
lately there are few sales, people have less money so prices naturally go up. Help your
fellow man and all. :tu:

I think Reverb's made this worse, with people using the high asking prices as a reference. On bass sites I'm seeing a lot of people looking to make back the full cost of whatever cheap import bass they got, plus the full price of the replacement bridge, tuners, pickups, pickguards, etc., plus shipping on top...good luck with that. And it's funny how some of the worst US Fender gear made (CBS-era, '70s-early '80s silverface amps, guitars/basses with thick polyester finishes that weigh a ton) now sells for thousands just because it's old.

If there is going to be a lasting economic downturn, prices will likely come down as a quick <coin of lower value> beats a slow <coin of double its value>.

I have noticed it, too. Reverb particularly tries to gouge the buyer.

Guitar Center is still realistic as to used quality merchandise.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

wait a few month and the prices drop. we, i mean europe in the first palce, just experienced the drawback of the economical tsunami coming later. people jsut think theres other people trying to get hardware no matter the cost. the prices will drop. cos at the end its like vurt said, its all luxury and noone needs music, or art, in survival mode, except for maybe exercising rites of certain spiritual cults. ^^

vurtism is not a cult :tantrum:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”