RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

In case this is helpful, info from the Waveform log:

14 Aug 2020 12:08:23 *** ERROR: Plugin sandbox crashed:
Crashed
Thread 0:
** Plugin crashed: Anacreon2.5 (VST3)
0: tracktion_bridge_slaveplugin.cpp:tracktion_bridge::BridgePluginWrapper::parameterValueChanged:223

----

And from pluginval:

Starting test: pluginval / Open editor whilst processing...

*** FAILED: VALIDATION CRASHED

4: UnhandledExceptionFilter + 0x1e7

5: TpDbgDumpHeapUsage + 0x129

6: TpDbgDumpHeapUsage + 0xbe2

7: memset + 0x4fe

8: _C_specific_handler + 0x96

9: RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter + 0x2ce

10: _chkstk + 0x11f

11: RtlRaiseException + 0x434

12: KiUserExceptionDispatcher + 0x2e

13: GetPluginFactory + 0xead

24: RtlInitializeCriticalSection + 0x1f0

25: LdrAccessResource + 0x194a

26: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x14

27: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x21
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

nooooo.. .the interface is horrible..
why? Sickly day-glo yellow... is this really the gui?

@inkwarp - that's my favorite color.

Edit I know it's not everyone's favorite design - there's been plenty of discussion on improvements.
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

@pough - that gives me some clues to work with! thanks for taking the time to post that crash log.

@ Erich.Pfister
Thank you for your informations.
Erich.Pfister wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm @teacue - I don't get any crackling or any real-time peak on the "Audio Performance" meter at 512 sample buffer size, 44100Hz.
Edit - this is cubase version 10.5.20
This helps me as it means that there is then a problem with my system and settings.

Erich.Pfister wrote:@teacue - here's an updated link to the problem on steinberg's site. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 6&t=178016 Could you check your version number and see if it's one of the ones that has problems?
I am still on Cubase 10.0.40
After your infos I updated to the very last version (for Cubase 10) 10.0.60 but it makes no difference.
In the thread you mentioned it has been even suggested to go back to 10.0 40 which was the version I used as I first did the test with Anacreon.

But I have found a few things.
In Cubase there is a setting called "Asio Guard".
I have activated it and set it to "high" and this improves 100% the performance when I play a midi track as in the project I have send and I can even use 256 buffer size without any crackles.

But as soon as I activate the midi recording mode for the midi track in Cubase (for example to play the same chords live with my midi-keyboard) I get the crackles again!

I also notice that the Audio Performance meter in Cubase acts completely different wether I play an already recorded Midi Track or when I play live from a Midi keyboard.
When I play an already recorded Midi Track, the upper part of the meter "average load" is quite high and the middle part of the meter "real-time-peak" is very low.
When I play Midi live through a Midi Keyboard the "average load" is not so high but the "real-time-peak" is very high (and I get crackles).
I wonder if this behaviour may provide some insight about what is going on.

There is also a setting for the RayDAT Audio-interface called "Enable MMCSS for ASIO"
I am not sure what it really does and the explanations I found on the RME forum are not straight clear but quite confusing to me: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27987
But it does not seem to change anything.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@teacue - if I am understanding MMCSS properly, I think it's supposed to boost the process priority for your audio thread.

Would you consider temporarily trying asio4all instead of RME's ASIO driver and see what happens? If the same thing happens or if it gets worse with a different ASIO driver, then we can at least be sure it's not an issue with ASIO.

I'm going to figure out how to send you all of my settings from Cubase, maybe there's another checkbox somewhere that's making the difference!

@Eric
I really appreciate that you take care!

I tried asio4all and there is a slightly better performance:
meaning there are a little less crackles but the "real-time peak" meter in Cubase still peaks very often at maximum, but this max-peaking is not always accompanied by audio crackles.

Here too crackles occur only when I set Cubase in Midi Recording mode.
BTW how does behave Cubase on your system if you set the midi track in recording mode?
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@teacue I will get back to you after I test midi recording mode!

@teacue - I'm getting no crackles with midi recording mode, I am unable to replicate the issue. I will release a version optimized for your CPU, hopefully it will clean up some of the issues you're having.

@teacue - go ahead and download version 2.5.2.2 again, I've included a new file "Anacreon2.5-AVX2-64.vst3"

You might need to rename it to Anacreon2.5-64.vst3, but I'm not 100% sure since I can't actually run this binary on my computer. This version of the plugin should take advantage of a better instruction set for your CPU. Please let me know if this fixes the crackling, thanks!

@pough - finally got a crash in waveform. Debugging now.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:42 pm @teacue - go ahead and download version 2.5.2.2 again, I've included a new file "Anacreon2.5-AVX2-64.vst3"

You might need to rename it to Anacreon2.5-64.vst3, but I'm not 100% sure since I can't actually run this binary on my computer. This version of the plugin should take advantage of a better instruction set for your CPU. Please let me know if this fixes the crackling, thanks!
Sorry to say but there is no difference :-(
I begin to feel slowly uncomfortable to cause you additional work when this issue is possibly something with my system and not with Anacreon!
At least the crackles do not occur during playback and midi record mode off.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@teacue - no worries! I want to understand why my plugin and one other plugin are the only ones affected by your system. You have helped me to realize that it is not an Intel VS AMD problem.

@pough - I'm finally getting crashes in Waveform, looks like I have something to debug.

Hopefully by the time I'm done with this most recent release, a lot of crashes will be solved.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record by now, but man, this thing has such a lovely unique sound. It's also a huge bonus that it's quite flexible. Erich, whatever you do with the updates and future plans, do NOT compromise the sound. :)

Heck, even the UI is growing on me! Though my failing eyesight doesn't like that it's so small.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”