2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@justin3am, that's the one that lights up green?

They had a great deal on one a while back on perfect circuit, but I wasn't able to find any info on how it would sound... just how cool it looked with the green light. At the time, I was making a choice between that and the SE-02... I went with the SE-02 (which was a great choice for me), but I still want to know how that thing sounds!

foosnark wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:34 pm Pekbro, what do you think of the Desmodus Versio? I kinda wanted to get one just because bats, but when I had an Erbe-Verb and various reverb pedals I still found myself using plugins more anyway.
It's definitely cool, it's not really a run of the mill reverb, think extreme mangle verb type
stuff. Great for ambient and rhythmic echo's. Shimmer's, glitch, tape effects etc. It can be
subtle, but it's probably not the best for reverb connoisseurs.

Kind of lame test I did with it over the assimil8or if you want to here it and get a feel for it.
Starts and ends dry, everything else is the module... Hopefully that link works ok.
*It's never at 100% blend at any rate, most around 60-80 % ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MGlbrP ... sp=sharing

Okay yeah, that is quite a cool effect :phones:

Sounds great to me! Really broad palette of sounds.

elxsound wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 am @justin3am, that's the one that lights up green?

They had a great deal on one a while back on perfect circuit, but I wasn't able to find any info on how it would sound... just how cool it looked with the green light. At the time, I was making a choice between that and the SE-02... I went with the SE-02 (which was a great choice for me), but I still want to know how that thing sounds!
Mine will have a big VU meter.
I liked this demo...
https://soundcloud.com/retro-mechanical ... yll-n-hyde

I played with the one they had at Perfect Circuit a while back but didn't jump on it before they sold out. I'll be waiting a bit longer but it will be worth the wait. :)

Best of the year - Arturia Drumbrute Impact. Here I am playing around with it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhfMjFw5irU

- Behringer TD-3 blue, sounds awesome, making tracks is a chore.
- Behringer MS-1, for "that" PWM sound you loved from the 80s, plus FM!
- Korg Volca Bass for a different bass sound from the TD-3.
- Alto ZMX862 mixer + Donner Revecho(reverb/echo pedal).
- DJ Tech M10 crossfade mixer, for use with my Behringer Tweakalizer that I've had for years.
- Behinger iStudio iPad dock, for Beatmaker 2 on my iPad
- Midi Solutions Quadra Thru
- Midiplus Mini Engine, for 128 General Midi instruments in a box the size of a deck of cards.
-Yamaha PSS688 keyboard, with speakers that need replaced and a couple of bad drum pads.
- Lots of audio and Midi cables.

Conclusions after buying so much gear? It's too much. The MS-1 takes up waaay too much space on my table. I want one more monophonic synth, so I'm thinking of a selling it and getting a Behringer Pro-1, or a Roland SE-2 or a Dreadbox Typhon, and then getting a 3-tiered stand so they all fit in one corner of the table. I haven't touched the Yamaha since I bought it, and may sell it. I wanted it for it's tiny keys and built in sounds but maybe a Korg Mini-keys 61 along with the Mini Engine would give me the keys playing practice I want while taking up less space.
Also, I want a real sampler. Beatmaker 2 is ok, I just want something that's more of a physical instrument that I can Midi up to the synths. I could get a Digitakt or an MPC One.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

My Phonogene arrived this evening. It's one of the old ones with the fugly knobs (and in the wrong colors too), but it does have the firmware update with Broken Echo. I ordered some replacement knobs, and may go for a Grayscale panel too (partly because the old one is a bit scuzzy, partly because the knob labeling is a lot better on Grayscale's version).

It's fun :D I'm getting a 90s Oval sort of glitchy feel from the stuff I've been doing with it so far, and discovering accidental melodies in whatever gets captured after I've mangled and overdubbed a bit. The End-of-Splice output allows for some fun stuff -- drop some splice points, use EOS to trigger a sequencer, and sequence the Organize CV along with other things. Or use it to trigger Gene Shift to sort of step its way through things.

Shopping for a new soundcard and my spec came out at €4k :shock:

For a fn soundcard. No thanks, I'll stick to a €100 Mackie thanks.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:19 pm Shopping for a new soundcard and my spec came out at €4k :shock:

Dang! Can get a RayDAT, 8+8 channels of Audient I/O with preamps and 16+16 channels of Ferrofish converters for less than that.

What are you trying to do?

tbf it didnt "need" the 18carat gold grille with "adrenakrohm" across the front.
it did look nice though.

imrae wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:02 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:19 pm Shopping for a new soundcard and my spec came out at €4k :shock:

Dang! Can get a RayDAT, 8+8 channels of Audient I/O with preamps and 16+16 channels of Ferrofish converters for less than that.

Lots there to investigate, thanks.

I want an RME PCI card with 32 analog ins. I know it’s more than the average user but I also don’t think I’m asking for that much given some people have literally hundreds of analog ins. There must be a “cheap” way to do it but I’m yet to find that out.

So far my research tells me I need a MADI card and converter.

Any tips are greatly welcomed by my credit card.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm tbf it didnt "need" the 18carat gold grille with "adrenakrohm" across the front.
it did look nice though.
:lol:

Good point, that’ll take a couple hundred off the price.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm
imrae wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Lots there to investigate, thanks.

I want an RME PCI card with 32 analog ins. I know it’s more than the average user but I also don’t think I’m asking for that much given some people have literally hundreds of analog ins. There must be a “cheap” way to do it but I’m yet to find that out.

So far my research tells me I need a MADI card and converter.

Any tips are greatly welcomed by my credit card.
Presuming you are only interested in capturing the sounds to manipulate on one PC later, multiple cheap PCs linked to ADAT interfaces? They don't have to be great shakes in the memory/CPU dept as capturing wave audio is very easy. Not looked into it, but probably something a Raspberry Pi could do these days, I'm just not knowledgeable enough about Linux to know whether the drivers support the sort of interfaces that either have 8 inputs or can link to ADAT expanders.

A mate at work has a Waves Soundgrid system and I think he said something about being able to chain other boxes together, but I imagine that's probably not cheap and not going to cost you much less than $4K

e.g.
https://www.waves.com/hardware/soundstudio-stg-2412
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Thanks for the suggestion but ultimately I’m looking to simplify my workflow. Currently I use patchbays but this year I discovered the wonders of a 20 y/o feature called External Instruments in Cubase.

This discovery has been an absolute game changer and I want every synth to have its own direct input into Cubase. Overkill? Probably. But we only live once :D

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:26 pm Thanks for the suggestion but ultimately I’m looking to simplify my workflow. Currently I use patchbays but this year I discovered the wonders of a 20 y/o feature called External Instruments in Cubase.

This discovery has been an absolute game changer and I want every synth to have its own direct input into Cubase. Overkill? Probably. But we only live once :D
im assuming stereo for those that have it (pads n shit)
multi outs for drums?

thats a loooooot of inputs :o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”