NI FM9 ever?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

I bought FM7 13 years ago and recently bought FM8 too. They both could use some perfecting.

In FM7 I liked the sounds a lot (off course it was the famous Yamaha's DX7 sounds I loved so much in the 80's) but the software looks and buttons weren't as nice as the looks and potards on FM8.

I like the looks of "FM8". I always like when there is white background on softwares, dark or black backgrounds are so common place in the music software it's kind of depressing, to me at least. But in FM8 some sounds were really awful, unlike most of Yamaha's sounds.

I wish if ever FM9 was released that the sounds would be more like FM7 or based on any other great Yamaha keyboards (like the Tyros' series for instance) or Casio, Roland or good old Technics synths too. There were so many great synths back in the 80's and the 90's why only focus on the DX7, the DX200 or just Yamaha ? Think big, think outside the box NI people !

naughtydanp wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 am I wish if ever FM9 was released that the sounds would be more like FM7
They sound pretty much the same to me :shrug:
naughtydanp wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 am... or based on any other great Yamaha keyboards (like Tyros' series) and Casio, Roland, Technics too. There were so many great synths back in the 80's and the 90's why only focus on the DX7 or the DX200 ?
You realize that FM7 and FM8 are FM synths, right? None of the examples you gave are FM or use FM. :roll:

If what you look for is PCM based synths, you have plenty of choices.
Fernando (FMR)

FM8 and FM7 sound exactly the same (with addition of high resolution mode in FM8 - but I'm talking about when that mode is disabled). FM8 also got additional effects, but as long as you use only chorus/delay, it's identical.

forget fm9! It's a fantasy.

Never say never, but nothing is confirmed indeed.

The new leadership may bring about not just change but also new software updates. We needs updates not just to FM8 but also Pro52, B4, Battery and Kore. Basically all abandoned or discontinued software.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:29 pm The new leadership may bring about not just change but also new software updates. We needs updates not just to FM8 but also Pro52, B4, Battery and Kore. Basically all abandoned or discontinued software.
I just don't see all that happening. That sounds wildly expensive.

My guess is NI will focus on core products that allow them to sell/create other content. Example: let's do a big Kontakt overhaul, because there are a ton of Kontakt libraries produced by us and others that make us money beyond the initial sale. Let's do the same for Reaktor and Maschine. You get the initial sale + additional revenue from add-on content which can be produced quickly, cheaply, by lots of different people. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like if you were trying to cut costs and maximize revenue, that'd be the way to go compared to dedicating a bunch of developers to a single product for years and years where you sell a single license and not much else tied to it.

You can forget about Pro-53, Kore and B4 returning. Battery is not abandoned nor discontinued.

Featurewise, I'm not sure FM8 truly needs that much. OK, VST3 and resizable GUI need to be done. It could also benefit from updating the effects and rearranging them. That sounds more like a big point release than a new version, though.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Seriously, nobody thought to recreate a TG77 or SY99 as a plugin. It would be so cool to have such hybrid synth.

Apart from this fm8 - fm9 question , I wonder what more can NI do with this awkward NKS format. It can be used for finding sounds, but I rather not paste komplete kontrol into a project, I simply use the plugins without any "wrapper". (many synths have better browser than komplete kontrol anyway)

NI FM8 Sounds like crap compared to the Yamaha Montage FM-X :hihi:

Muziksculp wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:46 pm NI FM8 Sounds like crap compared to the Yamaha Montage FM-X :hihi:
programing the montage is so annoying though. my neck starts hurt about 5 minutes into to leaning over that stupid touch screen. it's a nightmare imo. i don't enjoy anything about that synth really.. even as powerful as it is. it might as well be covered in dirty kitty litter.

dayjob wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:46 pm NI FM8 Sounds like crap compared to the Yamaha Montage FM-X :hihi:
programing the montage is so annoying though. my neck starts hurt about 5 minutes into to leaning over that stupid touch screen. it's a nightmare imo. i don't enjoy anything about that synth really.. even as powerful as it is. it might as well be covered in dirty kitty litter.
Once you learn how to use the Montage efficiently, and get used to its stupid touch screen, you will not keep it covered in kitty litter. :lol:

Muziksculp wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 pm
dayjob wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Once you learn how to use the Montage efficiently, and get used to its stupid touch screen, you will not keep it covered in kitty litter. :lol:
had one at work for like 2 years. hated every minute of it. it's a really powerful synth but i'd' rather use almost anything else.

Return to “Instruments”