Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

Thanks

Banquet wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm I've found myself falling in love with the sounds of the OB6. This video is an example of the sound I love...
I'm considering selling my Peak and Arp Odyssey to fund a purchase of the OB6 but wondered if anyone who uses Obsession thinks it's possible to get this kind of sound from that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNA5PSOlV7U
The OB-6 is based on a discreet SEM filter and the OB-Xa has a different design based in a Curtis chip, so even though they’re by the same designer, the OB-6 has more in common with a SEM 8 voice than an OB-Xa. bx_oberhausen is probably going to get you closer to the sound of an OB-6 than Obsession will. That said, the OB-6 doesn’t sound like a vintage SEM all that much anyway.

The moral of my story is, if you’re head over heels in love with a synth, you should get that synth. I’ve got a Prophet 6, so you might think that either I wouldn’t be interested in Repro or Repro would replace it, but it doesn’t. The hardware has a sort of haze to the sound. I’ve heard it called “smudge” or “blur.” The Repro sounds more focused and a bit more polite, you can hear the distortion alias a bit. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing bit of software (as are Obesssion and bx_oberhausen) but there’s just a bit of vibe that I think the modern Sequentials have that make them worth the money. I also have a Peak and kind of an Odyssey (Odyssey filter in an ATC-X) I think you might miss those too.

Definitely get Obsession though. One thing that I won’t do is sink a lot of money into a vintage synth. I’m not really interested in having to maintain them, and they miss basic things that I can’d do without, like velocity, aftertouch, etc. Get bx_oberhausen too, when it’s on sale. They’ll tide you over until you save for the OB-6, and still prove useful for the things they do that the OB-6 won’t.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

nvmd
Last edited by XorXisT on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just to go back to the browser discussion, I will add my 2 cents worth.

Whilst I don’t hate the synapse patch browser on legend and obsession I have to say that I would much prefer if they used a similar system to the Uhe synths. Now those have a really good system imho.

So whilst it’s not a deal breaker on the synapse items I would be a lot happier with a system like the Uhe one.

Demo or no demo time @millersam's demo was enough. Thanks (The video demo was not convincing). I purchased OBsession.

when is it Synapse have sales in a calendar year? anything around Black Friday?

I love my Legend and I'd love to get this too, corona just did some quality jujitsu to my wallet this year.

A test of a German online magazine with some of the Oberheim emulations and also Obsession..
(they prefer Arturia OB-Xa V).

Amazona.de

Translated page by Google:
Amazon.de Translated

4damind wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:57 pm A test of a German online magazine with some of the Oberheim emulations and also Obsession..

Amazona.de

Amazon.de Translated
I stopped reading when it said, "The top dog of plug-in emulation for vintage synthesizers..." is Arturia, as I've never known anyone that knows the market that thought that. If I wanted biased information, I can read my own posts or anyone else's here or on the other forums. :party:

EDIT: I've been informed there's a likely translation issue, in which case the above statement I made is clearly biased. And wrong.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 pm
I stopped reading when it said, "The top dog of plug-in emulation for vintage synthesizers..." is Arturia, as I've never known anyone that knows the market that thought that. If I wanted biased information, I can read my own posts or anyone else's here or on the other forums. :party:
I am sure they are crying because you stopped reading their article.

However explain me your logic. Just because OP at amazona.de doesn't have same opinion as you - you are making a fun out of him. I mean it's one thing making a fool of forum members (i guess we are here for that bit of fun) but it's quite different story to piss on some article creator.

Pardon me for not believing that thread replies are of some value like articles on well known websites. I am not saying he's right (i think Arturia version can't hold cigar to Synapse) however different angles are welcomed.

I am tube amp.

Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:57 pm A test of a German online magazine with some of the Oberheim emulations and also Obsession..

Amazona.de

Amazon.de Translated
To be fair, the German expression "Platzhirsch" does not necessarily imply that they are "the best". The author was mainly referring to the fact that Arturia have done more software emulations than any other company.

The audio examples are a joke, they didn't even try to remotely match the patches. And the distortion certainly didn't come from the plugins.
I think it is fair to say that the Amazona review is useless.

I don't see the original anywhere in that comparison?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Amazona.de

Amazon.de Translated
Don't worry, you won't miss anything. Amazona.de is horrible.

ariston wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Amazona.de

Amazon.de Translated
To be fair, the German expression "Platzhirsch" does not necessarily imply that they are "the best". The author was mainly referring to the fact that Arturia have done more software emulations than any other company.
Thank you. I was wondering if there was an issue with translation.
I stand corrected.

Return to “Instruments”